Intel "Core Truths" calls out AMD rebranding of old CPU architectures

I swore to myself that I wouldn't bother about CPU/APUs as long as Intel, AMD continued to sell outdated architectures under celeron/athlon brands

Sadly its got worse & the infection has now spread to i-3 (without p-cores) & ryzen 7 products !!!
Bottom line, buy whats new and ignore numbers. AMD does have plenty of new APU’s coming.

I'm not sure if I could care less about this to be honest. People who actually give a crap will be watching benchmarks and reading reviews. They'll get exactly what they expect to get, regardless of what the number on the box is. For everyone else, you get the higher number on the box, for the price it probably always sold for, and will be fine with the performance... because you're a casual and don't care anyway.

All companies have to do this relabeling crap (ever since some smart entrepreneur/con artist started it) to "compete" with each other, and intel is quite guilty of it themselves. So all of this shit flinging is just the same sort of political maneuvering to get the dumb people. The same ones that fall for political shit-flinging campaigns. I don't know if it would matter if the number on the box was different or the same, they'd find a way to get ripped off at some other intersection, so it's just all irrelevant. To fix the root issue, the government would need to do a massive and invasive crackdown.

I'm not sure if I could care less about this to be honest. People who actually give a crap will be watching benchmarks and reading reviews. They'll get exactly what they expect to get, regardless of what the number on the box is. For everyone else, you get the higher number on the box, for the price it probably always sold for, and will be fine with the performance... because you're a casual and don't care anyway.

All companies have to do this relabeling crap (ever since some smart entrepreneur/con artist started it) to "compete" with each other, and intel is quite guilty of it themselves. So all of this shit flinging is just the same sort of political maneuvering to get the dumb people. The same ones that fall for political shit-flinging campaigns. I don't know if it would matter if the number on the box was different or the same, they'd find a way to get ripped off at some other intersection, so it's just all irrelevant. To fix the root issue, the government would need to do a massive and invasive crackdown.
Pretty much this. Also, whenever I see these attack ads for competitors, it only makes me think less of the entity doing the attacking. As if they're threatened and desperate enough to resort to these attacks, rather than succeeding by their own merit and accomplishments.

I swore to myself that I wouldn't bother about CPU/APUs as long as Intel, AMD continued to sell outdated architectures under celeron/athlon brands

Sadly its got worse & the infection has now spread to i-3 (without p-cores) & ryzen 7 products !!!
What is an outdated arch exactly?

Well their mobile naming scheme legit sucks, but essentially the first 7 doesn't even denote latest generation, it just means year. So I suppose 23, 24 etc would work better but sound strange (Ryzen 3 23520U hmmm). Also, chips like the 7320U aren't exactly the same as their Zen 2 counterpart, they have numerous power management changes and a new, albeit not significantly different, process node (7 vs 6nm).

Second digit would be performance tier (Ryzen 3 would have 3 in the second digit) , third would be generation (2 in case of zen 2, 3 for zen 3 etc). Last digit is just higher/lower performance within that same generation (eg. 7940 vs 7945). Sucks for sure, but they are sort of stating what it actually is if you decipher it.

Also, it's not exactly the same as what intel are still doing (cough 14900k cough) where they charge more for the same shit a couple of years later that's a whole lot worse. 7320u, if you ask vendors, are pretty damn cheap and many good laptops are coming out with those chips and are priced at 11th gen intel levels with much better performance AND battery life compared to 11th gen.

So uh..intel is in absolutely no effing position to say shit when what they do for years is worse and they haven't learned. People in glass houses should not throw stones

Intel always continues to sell the old chips under all the brands. Plenty of people asking 'why is my i7 slow?' and forgetting to mention it's ten years old. When you're shopping, the Core Truth is you have to ignore all the branding and figure out what core it is, how many cores it has, and maybe the frequency, those are the things that matter rather than Celeron/Pentium/Athlon/3/5/7/9... Plus or minus if Intel/AMD disabled any features you care about.

1701816448448.png

Apparently no one told Intel PR that this has applied to their own CPUs since Alder Lake.

Not nearly enough X's in Intel or AMD naming. (and no AMD, one X isn't enough on a CPU, and two is not enough on a GPU).

What's your new CPU called?

The i10-RX-A5060-7470-GTX-Super-RT, just so it's clear. That way you know it's faster than a i10-RX-A5060-7470-GTX-UltraExtremePlatinum.

well to be fair it's a listed as ryzen "5" 7520u

but you should know to always do your [H]omework when buying tech. people like best buy and dell aren't gonna stop pulling their tricks as long as people keep falling for them.

hey at least they're all full sized cores. i was helping a guy on the cyberpunk forum that told me he had a 10 core processor, come to find out it was a i5 13400 which has 6 real cores and 4 e-cores which he had to disable anyway to get the game to even run.

well to be fair it's a listed as ryzen "5" 7520u

but you should know to always do your [H]omework when buying tech. people like best buy and dell aren't gonna stop pulling their tricks as long as people keep falling for them.

hey at least they're all full sized cores. i was helping a guy on the cyberpunk forum that told me he had a 10 core processor, come to find out it was a i5 13400 which has 6 real cores and 4 e-cores which he had to disable anyway to get the game to even run.

E-cores are real cores. You're probably assuming that they function like the old hyperthreads did.

so i just thought it was ironic that right now i got somebodies laptop over here i'm working on and it's rocking a Core i7 6500u, cool right? BUT... it's only it's a dual core.. yeah, an i7 dual core. and they want to talk about misleading people.

so i just thought it was ironic that right now i got somebodies laptop over here i'm working on and it's rocking a Core i7 6500u, cool right? BUT... it's only it's a dual core.. yeah, an i7 dual core. and they want to talk about misleading people.
ive got a few of those, "I7" plastered all over them, open system info and its a frigging dual core. wtf
edit: and i just ran into another; i7-6600U = dual core with ht. that is not what an i7 is supposed to be....

Last edited:
Dual core can be "fine". Not everything needs an Epyc CPU. "i7"? Intel's going to call things whatever they want (which I guess is the point).

Dual core can be "fine". Not everything needs an Epyc CPU. "i7"? Intel's going to call things whatever they want (which I guess is the point).

Still, that was 7 years after quad-core processors came out. Even Atoms were offered in dual-core configs.

It's all marketing 101, some are borderline or outright fraud or misleading. Do your own research diligently and read the fine print, if any.

Looks like AMD is trying to sweep this "news" under the rug. They just announced their 8000 series "Hawk Point" APU's

They sort of have to in order to get their Ryzen and Radeon parts to have the same number system, this has been in the works for the past couple of years.

I do wonder how the Strix and Strix Halo parts are going to slot in...

It's all marketing 101, some are borderline or outright fraud or misleading. Do your own research diligently and read the fine print, if any.
we know this, plebs dont. which is why they would fall for an i7-15240xe that is only a dual core w/ "xtreme efficiency". they see the model numbers/naming see its the highest and assume its the best.

Its wierd that Intel is calling out AMD for this. The original 'core' processor was based on the mobile version of the Pentium 3 after Pentium 4 failed so miserably. Intel designed the P4 with a longer pipeline so they could market higher frequencies. The only problem was that they were consistently being beaten by AMD's 'old' architecture that was clocked 1Ghz lower. A seperate dev team at Intel had made massive efficiency gains on mobile P3 parts so they adapted them for the desktop and re-branded it i7 'core' and relegated the 'pentium' brand to the budget space. Then they used that base P3 architecture and shoveled it down our throats with minor improvements until Zen came along.

What I don't get is, isn't this just normal for CPU manufacturers; create a decent architecture and milk it for years until competition gets fierce? Intel needs to take their medicine and get over it.

Intel at least graced us with a generous 5% IPC or so with each of those rehashes, or at least threw us a clock speed increase, or maybe some arbitrary software/hardware tie-in feature?
And 5% more power for it. Color me impressed and excited! 😆

ive got a few of those, "I7" plastered all over them, open system info and its a frigging dual core. wtf
edit: and i just ran into another; i7-6600U = dual core with ht. that is not what an i7 is supposed to be....
If I remember correctly the i5 of that mobile 5th gen (Skylake) did not have SMT, while the i7 did have SMT, despite both of them being dual-core CPUs.
Do not miss that era of Intel's marketing at all.

I think for the most part this is done to satiate OEMs to fill holes in the line up that appear when a new competitor releases a new product. It's not like they can switch all to AMD or all to Intel so they pit them against each other for pricing / marketing reasons. I'm really not going to care about a a single SKU that's a rebrand for an OEM only SKU as most of these tend to be.

If I remember correctly the i5 of that mobile 5th gen (Skylake) did not have SMT, while the i7 did have SMT, despite both of them being dual-core CPUs.
Do not miss that era of Intel's marketing at all.
na even in that generation they had mixture of 2c/2t and 2c/4t i3's,mixture of 2c/4t and 4c4/t i5's and i7's were suppose to be 4c/8t, well except for a few dual core's they slapped i7 stickers on to make a quick buck on the best buy crowd. you really had to do your [H]omework if you wanted to end up with a good intel mobile part at that point in time.

there marketing worked on normies because and i7 has to be better than i3 because bigger number and bigger price, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)#Mobile_processors

Its wierd that Intel is calling out AMD for this. The original 'core' processor was based on the mobile version of the Pentium 3 after Pentium 4 failed so miserably. Intel designed the P4 with a longer pipeline so they could market higher frequencies. The only problem was that they were consistently being beaten by AMD's 'old' architecture that was clocked 1Ghz lower. A seperate dev team at Intel had made massive efficiency gains on mobile P3 parts so they adapted them for the desktop and re-branded it i7 'core' and relegated the 'pentium' brand to the budget space. Then they used that base P3 architecture and shoveled it down our throats with minor improvements until Zen came along.

What I don't get is, isn't this just normal for CPU manufacturers; create a decent architecture and milk it for years until competition gets fierce? Intel needs to take their medicine and get over it.
The strange thing is that AMD actually overtaken the 2nd spot of Intel earlier this year without many consumers realised. Not that AMD magically became much better than Intel after 7800X3D launched, but how low Intel has fallen/kept falling from 2020 til now.

Glad some of us don't care about brand favouritism/fanboyism, only want to know the truth.

The only thing I can't figure out is which tech company has the most (deliberately) confusing naming scheme. They won't get one over on us very often, but these deliberately misleading product names are to confuse or outright fool the off-the-shelf BestBuy sort of shoppers.

The only thing I can't figure out is which tech company has the most (deliberately) confusing naming scheme. They won't get one over on us very often, but these deliberately misleading product names are to confuse or outright fool the off-the-shelf BestBuy sort of shoppers.

It's gotta be the Apple iPad or Amazon Kindle. 'Everybody' references them by generation number, but they're not marked with the numbers and they look pretty similar from generation to generation.

Either that or the new 3ds/2ds

Yep, that was my old work computer! I thought oh I got an i7 in this, should be pretty nice....wait WTF a dual core?!?!?! In 2019?!?! And they call it an i7? An i7?

Intel, the pot, calling the kettle black.

It's gotta be the Apple iPad or Amazon Kindle. 'Everybody' references them by generation number, but they're not marked with the numbers and they look pretty similar from generation to generation.

Either that or the new 3ds/2ds
I never even thought of that one, their MAC SKUs are the first hing I thought of... Especially when iPhones are so easy to identify, so it's not like they don't know how to make product name and generation clear. this is clearly deliberate confusion.

I think the champion might be Intel's server equipment. I have a good friend and former colleague that does that shit for a living and he keeps a reference chart to decipher the bullshit. Then I think of AMD with their consumer processors, that crap is meant to trick people into buying the wrong shit or at least trying to obfuscate what they're actually buying. Then there's nVidia with their mobile equipment and the layers of huckster BS all over that.

I think I'm with you though, Apple is the worst because they are the absolute leaders of the tech industry and the entire industry seems to copy every shitty thing they do. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Apple kind of started the trend of deliberately sowing confusion among their customers, at least in the tech industry... Automakers have always used "Limited Editions" and other marketing wank to obfuscate the actual product you're buying.

What is an outdated arch exactly?
A CPU architecture like Zen 2 (Ryzen 7020 series) which is vulnerable to Retbleed and SQUIP, and the only thorough mitigation is to disable SMT.
A GPU architecture like Vega (Ryzen 7030 series) which is now on reduced driver support, and doesn't decode AV1 in hardware so your device will run hot and have short battery life watching online video.
Many exciting things which AMD talked about during CES and Computex this year you get only if your CPU has the latest Zen4 and RDNA3 architectures.

As I wrote in the OP, calling out AMD is absolutely justified here. Just such remarks coming from Intel of all companies has pot->kettle irony.

Back