Intel Core i9-14900K Review - Reaching for the Performance Crown

So what is worse, this or 11th gen? I thought 11th gen at least had some gains below the i9 parts?
I think that this is worse. And my reasoning for that is that at least on 11th Gen there were feature set improvements that would interest hard-core Intel buyers to consider buying them even though performance was roughly equal. On these new 14th GEN parts, there is no reason to ever consider them, unless the price is exactly equal to or less than 13th Gen parts.

Both 11thgen and 14th were not supposed to exist and launch only because the planned (alder lake, meteor lake not sure how to keep up with the naming) was not ready in time and not real new product, just could almost have kept the name and be sold instead refresh.

I think that this is worse. And my reasoning for that is that at least on 11th Gen there were feature set improvements that would interest hard-core Intel buyers to consider buying them even though performance was roughly equal. On these new 14th GEN parts, there is no reason to ever consider them, unless the price is exactly equal to or less than 13th Gen parts.
Yeah I think I have to agree.
Both 11thgen and 14th were not supposed to exist and launch only because the planned (alder lake, meteor lake not sure how to keep up with the naming) was not ready in time and not real new product, just could almost have kept the name and be sold instead refresh.
Yep this is true. 11th gen I think was a new arch or whatever their old model of tick/tock/optimize used to be, but they got effed by having to use 14nm....again.

14th gen now that I've digested it a bit just seems like a way to rebrand 13th gen so they can still make money without drastically lowering prices.

So what is worse, this or 11th gen? I thought 11th gen at least had some gains below the i9 parts?
11th gen is worse simply because it was backported to 14nm. 10nm woes and Intel stubbornness resulted in a shoehorned product that was never meant to be.

14th gen, at worst, makes Intel look lazy. It's still a competent product built on a solid platform but it's ultimately just filler to buy them time for the next product.

Underwhelming and unexciting. I'll sit on my very stable and efficient 5800X3D gaming rig for at least one more generation. It's nice to see it at the bottom of the power consumption charts in reviews.

Any confirmation that it is more stable for faster ddr5 clocks? Meaning better than the original raptor lake?

Things aren't that much better on the Zen 4 side though, because AMD wanted to keep cooler compatibility with Socket AM4, so they had to install an extra thick heat spreader on the AM5 CPUs, which make them difficult to cool, too, but it's easier due to the lower overall heat output.
I've heard people were sanding down the IHS or just running WC on bare dies.

I've heard people were sanding down the IHS or just running WC on bare dies.
Well they're sanding off their warranty as well so if they're ok with that more power to them. I certainly won't be doing it for a minor improvement in clock speed.

*laughs in 5950X in Eco/65w mode*

With what I keep reading on AMD's advancements with future implementations of 3D V-Cache, Zen 5 IPC improvements and 3nm TSMC capacity finally opening up to AMD now that Apple has blown their wad... Does Intel ever catch AMD again at anywhere near the same thermals? I wonder if they'll even get reasonably-close again.

Anyways, I can't believe the number of people who are still building around high-end Intel. I don't know what else needs to happen or how stark a contrast needs to be drawn.

11th gen is worse simply because it was backported to 14nm. 10nm woes and Intel stubbornness resulted in a shoehorned product that was never meant to be.

14th gen, at worst, makes Intel look lazy. It's still a competent product built on a solid platform but it's ultimately just filler to buy them time for the next product.

Yeah I still do not get the hate for Rocket Lake 11th gen outside of the 11900k sku. It was a great upgrade for many on lower end CML parts with certain applications doing much better with an improved igpu.
The 11700kf traded blows with the 5800x and was not terrible with power despite being 14nm.
14th gen intel is beyond lazy.

Well they're sanding off their warranty as well so if they're ok with that more power to them. I certainly won't be doing it for a minor improvement in clock speed.
Honestly, how many times are users needing to utilize a CPU warranty? I've been working in computer repair for over 25 years, and can only think of one or two genuinely failing CPUs I've encountered. I'd say, if you don't break your CPU with the process, don't sweat it.

Anyways, I can't believe the number of people who are still building around high-end Intel. I don't know what else needs to happen or how stark a contrast needs to be drawn.
For general use, I totally agree.

For overclockers, AMD is sort of boring.

Underwhelming and unexciting. I'll sit on my very stable and efficient 5800X3D gaming rig for at least one more generation. It's nice to see it at the bottom of the power consumption charts in reviews.

IPC improvements have been rather flat since Zen3.

Worse yet, efficiency hasn't improved much after we finally moved on from 14nm - 10, 7, 6, 5nm... It hasnt helped as much as people anticipated.
Screenshot_20231018_120007_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Sarcasm I hope, ++++ sidegrades are kinda their thing.

Definitely. I remember being excited to see what Skylake would bring. Little did I know, it would bring basically the same thing for the next 6 generations. Intel seems to be the worst run company in the industry. They're fortunate that they still have a huge book of deals with major OEMs like Dell, because I haven't seen a reason to buy an Intel processor since basically Haswell. I'm really hoping they turn things around. You can tell the difference between a company run by business people (pre-Gelsinger) vs AMD and Nvidia who are run by engineers that understand what they're delivering and what their customers need. Love them or hate them, I can't recall a time I've seen a company like Nvidia stagnate with a subpar product for particularly long. Despite their massive market share in GPUs, they keep pushing the envelope higher. Sure, they also make you pay for it, but so does Intel, you just have less reason to want to in Intel's case.

Why did Intel waste a whole version number on this? Seems weird. doesn't seem worthy of a whole new generation number

Did you miss the last 15 years of intel's core run?
Exactly, I think the worst generation change was between 6th-gen Skylake and 7th-gen Kaby Lake.
They they both had the exact same IPC, with only a slight iGPU uptick for Kaby Lake that would then be used for years further without change.

Even the chipsets, Z170 and Z270 respectively, went EOL at the exact same time despite Z170 coming out a year earlier.
That was around the time in 2017 when AMD got their act together that revolutionized CPU competition as we know it now and stomped all over Intel's never ending quad-core CPU standard that had stagnated the market.

10th to 11th gen felt similar, and now 13th to 14th gen is definitely par for the course.
This doesn't continue to happen because of engineering issues, it continues to happen because of management issues.

Since this was a refresh and not a new architecture, it was expected that it was only like 5% faster which is still disappointing, but not a complete dud like the 11th generation. Compared to 11th gen to 14th gen, I found 11th gen to be lackluster and pointless. The 11900k was just a pointless and poor attempt from Intel compared to it's predecessor, the 10900k which was a more superior CPU. The loss of 2 extra cores and regression back to 8 cores for the flagship line was just disappointing, and not to mention it drawed more power than the 10900k despite having less than 2 cores, wasn't much faster than the AMD 5800x and failed to match the 5900x and 5950x in performance which was expected. Not sure why Intel even bothered with 11th gen when it was succeeded by Alder Lake few months later.

Sarcasm I hope, ++++ sidegrades are kinda their thing.
This is only a refresh of the Optimization in Intel's PAO cycle, so really only the first sidegrade for 10nm. It's not like they're going to be stuck on it for 7 years and 4 refreshes like 14nm.

Ice Lake = Process (10nm)
Alder Lake = Architecture
Raptor Lake = Optimization
Meteor Lake = Process (7nm)

This is only a refresh of the Optimization in Intel's PAO cycle, so really only the first sidegrade for 10nm. It's not like they're going to be stuck on it for 7 years and 4 refreshes like 14nm.

Ice Lake = Process (10nm)
Alder Lake = Architecture
Raptor Lake = Optimization
Meteor Lake = Process (7nm)
I see what you're saying. But at the end of the day it's a refresh of an refresh.:confused:🤷‍♂️

This is an evolutionary release - minor improvements, slight speed boosts, no real change from the prior gen. If $$ is equal and you need to buy, get 14th - same as getting 10th over 9th. If $$ isn't equal - grab whatever you feel is right there.

11th gen was a stopgap - they had to release something, but it was (in many ways) a hack of parts to get SOMETHING out the door. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything unique or special, wasn't the next step that 12th gen was, and there was zero real reason to upgrade from the prior generation. 12th was the next "revolutionary" release (although with all the other changes I consider it more transitional).

Yeah I think I have to agree.

Yep this is true. 11th gen I think was a new arch or whatever their old model of tick/tock/optimize used to be, but they got effed by having to use 14nm....again.

14th gen now that I've digested it a bit just seems like a way to rebrand 13th gen so they can still make money without drastically lowering prices.
Yup. It was a back port of parts of ... Tiger Lake? ... to 14nm. It wasn't BAD - if you HAD to buy something and couldn't get a lightly use / NOS 10th gen, might as well (and the deals on them were great for building cheap servers!) - but for everyone normal waiting to 12th was the right call.

images.jpg

I would be willing to buy the chip it it was a real refresh. I just bought a Wax Melter at work last week with about 25.00 in Wax I love the thing it puts out more than my Intel chip.

Intel 14th Gen Core Desktop Processors Don't Support Thunderbolt 5

by btarunr
Intel earlier this week updated its desktop processor product stack with the introduction of the 14th Gen Core "Raptor Lake Refresh" processors. During our coverage of the processor, we erroneously mentioned that the processor supports the upcoming Thunderbolt 5 connectivity standard. Intel reached out to us for a correction, which revealed an interesting detail. Apparently, 14th Gen Core desktop processors do not support Thunderbolt 5, even though Intel has their own TB5 controller design codenamed "Barlow Ridge". However, these won't arrive before Q1 2024, the currently shipping "Maple Ridge" controller has only support for Thunderbolt 4. But even once Barlow Ridge is available, they will not be compatible with "Raptor Lake Refresh" socketed desktop processors.

Intel announced the Thunderbolt 5 standard in September, around the same time”
View attachment 607572

I would be willing to buy the chip it it was a real refresh. I just bought a Wax Melter at work last week with about 25.00 in Wax I love the thing it puts out more than my Intel chip.

Back