Intel Core i5-5200U Dual-Core or AMD A8-7410 Quad-Core

From what I can gather after doing some quick research, the i5-5200u pretty much trounces the A8-7410 in most every respect that matters except probably the price of the actual chips for the OEMs using them. It's another case of "Yes the Intel CPU is more expensive (or the machine using it is) but you get what you pay for..."

I like using Passmark for comparisons because it's fairly quick and easy and consistent; in this situation the scores appear as follows:

A8-7410 = 2592 average score

i5-5200u = 3506 average score

That's pretty significant in my opinion but, the OP needs to make us his or her own mind as always. There are other benchmarks out that show the i5-5200u just wins, period, but do the research and pick one and run with it.

To the question of is the AMD a better value meaning for the lower cost (in general) will it perform adequately? Sure, that much is obvious since it's an AMD and they're always lower in price and so is the hardware they're used with almost always - but when it comes down to it you have to see a bigger picture:

If the AMD is slower to get a task done then that means when it's working slower it's using more power for a longer period of time (based on the specs) which means in the long run of things you end up statistically losing on the investment you've put into the device in question. The Intel, being more expensive at the time of purchase, pays for itself over time by getting tasks done faster (saving you actual time) while using less power to do it (saving you actual cash).

It's up to you. Personally for me, I'd take the Asus and not even think twice about it but that's just me. ;)

Back