Intel Core 14th Gen Unboxing & Preview

erek

[H]F Junkie
Seems everyone should wait for Meteor Lake. The Review Kit seems weak compared to say what AMD provided for the 2990WX back in the day.

“We have finished testing the 14th Gen Core processor models Intel is launching—the i9-14900K, i7-14700K, and i5-14600K, but our review embargo does not allow us to publish our results yet. We urge you to wait for performance testing by the media, and base your purchase decisions on a wide number of media reviews.

Parting Thoughts​

Intel's Raptor Lake Refresh processor family is exactly what it says in the codename—a refresh. Intel has had a history of processor generations that had been refreshes, such as the 9th Gen Coffee Lake Refresh, and 4th Gen Haswell Refresh. Intel's idea behind these new processors is to provide new PC builders with some of the fastest processor options across the key performance segments—around the $300-mark, around the $400-mark, and around the $600-mark, with new processors that beat competing Ryzen 7000X3D series. For those on lower-segment 12th Gen Core processor platforms, these chips provide a neat upgrade path. Just update your UEFI firmware and drop these in. We've done an extensive amount of testing, and we can't wait to share it with you. See you soon!”

1697464611340.png

1697464630737.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-14th-gen-unboxing-preview/2.html

Seems everyone should wait for Meteor Lake. The Review Kit seems weak compared to say what AMD provided for the 2990WX back in the day.

“We have finished testing the 14th Gen Core processor models Intel is launching—the i9-14900K, i7-14700K, and i5-14600K, but our review embargo does not allow us to publish our results yet. We urge you to wait for performance testing by the media, and base your purchase decisions on a wide number of media reviews.

Parting Thoughts​

Intel's Raptor Lake Refresh processor family is exactly what it says in the codename—a refresh. Intel has had a history of processor generations that had been refreshes, such as the 9th Gen Coffee Lake Refresh, and 4th Gen Haswell Refresh. Intel's idea behind these new processors is to provide new PC builders with some of the fastest processor options across the key performance segments—around the $300-mark, around the $400-mark, and around the $600-mark, with new processors that beat competing Ryzen 7000X3D series. For those on lower-segment 12th Gen Core processor platforms, these chips provide a neat upgrade path. Just update your UEFI firmware and drop these in. We've done an extensive amount of testing, and we can't wait to share it with you. See you soon!”

View attachment 606427
View attachment 606428
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-14th-gen-unboxing-preview/2.html
Effing sweet, new space heaters for winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Meteor Lake won't have a desktop version, unless Chinese vendors do their thing and put a BGA chip with a metal frame on an ITX board. Which I'd be tempted to buy.

Wondering if the i5 or i7 will be worth upgrading my 12600K with.

Reactions: erek
like this
If you need something right now they seem like the way to go.

Reactions: erek
like this
There something a bit embarrassing to CPU unboxing review, not that it is ever not a bit embarassing, but reviewer box are completely different than retail and it is such a small part of the CPU buying experience versus say some crafted watch, cars, perfume, were the tactile experience with the product is a good part and there some correlation between the unboxing experience and the day-to-day use with the object. The car exterior, interior and seating experience is not everything, but it is a lot a review without actual driving is still interesting, same for a vr kit( cord lenght, weight, comfort fit, ergonomic of the kit, etc..) .

A cpu that end up hidden behind a cooler right away in an irrelevant box.... what !? come-on, they are all the exact same square.

Last edited:
There something a bit embarrassing to CPU unboxing review, not that it is ever not a bit embarassing, but reviewer box are completely different than retail and it is such a small part of the CPU buying experience versus say some crafted watch, cars, perfume, were the tactile experience with the product is a good part and there some correlation between the unboxing experience and the day-to-day use with the object. The car exterior, interior and seating experience is not everything, but it is a lot a review without actual driving is still interesting, same for a vr kit.

A cpu that end up hidden behind a cooler right away in an irrelevant box.... what !? come-on.
The 2990WX was something to behold though in terms of an unboxing review kit

1697484802216.png

1697484827020.png

1697484859205.png

Indeed. At least the prices are basically the same as 13th gen but then look at what 12th gen's prices for most of the year. But moar e-cores I guess.
For the i7 anyway.

My hope is the 13th gen parts just drop in price like 12th gen did and I'll pick one of those up. I would really like to get a 13900k/13900ks for the Z790 Dark, but didn't feel like spending $600 for one.

This whole gen makes me glad that I don't immediately need a new PC for myself, looking forward to Zen 5 and Gen 15 though.
Those should be interesting. Maybe Blackwell will offer something fun to go along side it.

This whole gen makes me glad that I don't immediately need a new PC for myself, looking forward to Zen 5 and Gen 15 though.
Those should be interesting. Maybe Blackwell will offer something fun to go along side it.
Yeah that will probably be when I next upgrade for the daily rig.

Is the 14700k the only relevant new CPU of the bunch (specially the 12600/12700k to 14700k jump seem nice)?

compiler.png
relative-performance-cpu.png

The rest (at least stock) are barely moving the bar it seem and that some super fancy z790, 420mm AIO setup

Is the 14700k the only relevant new CPU of the bunch (specially the 12600/12700k to 14700k jump seem nice)?
The jump is nice because it gained additional ecores. I haven't read other reviewers takes on it yet, but for me it performed on par or slightly better (at similar power levels) than the 13900K in most everything I threw at it except for all cores pegged types of workloads (Cinebench, for example).

specially the 12600/12700k to 14700k jump
This is what I'm debating, with my 12600K. Trying to decide whether or not to also get an i790, but leaning against it: my Asus z690-F gaming wifi already has everything I need. The only reasonable thing I can think of would be to get some TB4, but that only makes sense for me if I were going to go eGPU, and why would I do that on a desktop?

This is what I'm debating, with my 12600K. Trying to decide whether or not to also get an i790, but leaning against it: my Asus z690-F gaming wifi already has everything I need. The only reasonable thing I can think of would be to get some TB4, but that only makes sense for me if I were going to go eGPU, and why would I do that on a desktop?
Let me do you a favor and save you some cash. Price the upgrade out, take 25% of that and go donate it to charity. You helped somebody out and you didn’t buy useless shit that’ll be e waste in 12 months when the shinier stuff rolls out again. :)

Looking at the numbers, why the fuck did they even bother? AMD could almost literally laser etch 7000 parts as 8000 parts and still be winning in most categories. Real ryzen 8000 is gonna mop the floor here unless they push it back seeing as Intel brought nothing.

Looking at the numbers, why the fuck did they even bother? AMD could almost literally laser etch 7000 parts as 8000 parts and still be winning in most categories. Real ryzen 8000 is gonna mop the floor here unless they push it back seeing as Intel brought nothing.
I think this uses their new E cores, but are essentially the same, names for the name god!

Let me do you a favor and save you some cash. Price the upgrade out, take 25% of that and go donate it to charity. You helped somebody out and you didn’t buy useless shit that’ll be e waste in 12 months when the shinier stuff rolls out again. :)
As I said just a minute ago on another thread, probably will wait another generation.

Not a lot of compelling reasons to upgrade the board in your case (at least in my opinion). Performance should be the same between the chipsets, although the Z790 should have improved memory performance (higher speeds will be possible on those boards) - though - you're probably fine keeping your same memory at this point.

Marketing for the pending holiday season. Intel is obviously doing fine on the OEM space, but not really on the retail side. This gives them something new to push for the people who are looking to buy something in the next few months.

Not a lot of compelling reasons to upgrade the board in your case (at least in my opinion). Performance should be the same between the chipsets, although the Z790 should have improved memory performance (higher speeds will be possible on those boards) - though - you're probably fine keeping your same memory at this point.
Yeah, and then I'd have to get faster memory, too. I think I'm running 4800MHz because that's what was available and not stupidly overpriced.

Back