Intel Application Accelerator - any good?

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
My chipset currently supports this program. According to Intel, it's suppose to "enhance/boost performance & such" ... Anyone tried it?

I think most people here run it including me, I havent really benched between running it and not running it. But the system does feel much quicker and responsive with IAA on.

It's a set of highly optimized mass storage drivers. Use them, they can make a big difference in CPU usage, transfer speed and reduced latencies across your drives.

I have my main PC as the system in my sig. I also have a Tbred 2400+ @ 2.3Ghz.

And I really dont want to sound like a fanboy or anything but honestly running the Intel rig WITHOUT IAA feels like I am running the AMD system.

Things like multitasking etc just arn't as peepy, The P4 rigg with IAA feels a hell of alot quicker in most things. Also I hae the AMD system setup just fine with all drivers and updates as they should, but overall, I just like the feel on the P4.

Originally posted by chrisf6969
WHen are they going to release one for the 875/865 IDE?? (non-raid)

From what I've read....never. They say its not needed.

I ran it and changed the setting on my drive and I got from a 2.9MB/s Read Burst Speed to a 52MB/s read burst speed. Bear in mind I did get a new IDE cable too (80 condictor I think?)

Would this be beneficial in gaming or video editing? I am solely trying to enhance the gaming experience and video editing performance, as well as overall experiences. Anyone have any bad experiences with IAA?

Mainly what IAA does is turn on ata100 for you hard drives and enables better cache control. So everything will feel quicker, transfer rates and seek times should be better and all, but it shouldn't speed up games any quicker really. It's a good thing to have installed.

better if you advised on this one: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/install.htm

should always go
os
service packs
direct x
inf's
drivers; order may depend if using iaar (being first of the drivers). if not any order is perfectly fine.

you can run the drive in single raid ready mode and when a purchase of a secondary drive for raid happens. you then can migrate over to a raid volume. currently, i use single drive raid ready and there is a difference, a bit, rather than using the normal inf ide/sata interface installation. it is worth it to run in this mode, honestly. specially, upgrading to a raid volume would not require a reinstallation anyways.

batotman, is correct. they are not going to make any non raid aa. this is to push even more aggressively towards sata, think about it.

For some reason whenever I try to install IAA, windows refuses to finish booting. It will get past the boot screen, get into windows then 1 second later lock up. Anyone know why this would happen? And it's not because of my overclocking, I tried to install it before I overclocked.

Folks, from what I understand, if you've installed your o/s with an updated F6 (drivers) from intel, you don't need to install IAA at all. It's totally not needed (the drivers are installed with the F6 option during windows installation). You can verify that the IAA is installed without installing IAA, just using the updated F6 drivers, the same way (looking for iaStor or whatever...read about it).

Anyway, I researched this once before and that was my conclusion. I'm not using IAA at all, but I do have the F6 3.5 ver. drivers installed during windows install.

you are correct, but the one thing that caught my eye. it was the intructions for raid ready and it said that after the installation to install the program (mind you, that this is for the d875pbz). i do not know if it meant literally that it was needed or not. although, if i remember correctly many have loaded the appplication when needed in single raid and have not had any issues. but you can have the driver in single raid ready and that is all you need.

I installed it again just to see if it made any difference, and I can see none to speak of. I guess I'll leave it installed, though I can uninstall it if I want (If I had not installed the F6 driver, I don't think I could uninstall the program without wiping out my RAID).

This program works and stuff, but I can't do anything with it besides look at my RAID config. It's quite useless, it seems....however, the version (3.5.0.2846) is newer than the 3.5 F6 driver I used, so is it safe to say that it's updated that F6 install?

Thanks for answering this question.

Originally posted by shaihulud
oddly enough, there is no newer driver than the one you have.

hmmm, well now it says the app accel is managing my raid array and I can't uninstall it, just the non essential parts (like the program folder and stuff). SHould I just leave it installed or uninstall the nonessential stuff? Doesn't the app accelerator create a service or something? I hate having extra services going if I don't need them.

Thanks!

Thanks! I did, and it seems to be sort of a pain in the butt. I'll just leave it installed, I maybe hallucinating, but it really does seem that my system is more responsive with it installed. ? Seems that way anyhow.

I could always ghost back to a reversion, but frankly, things are running really good so I'll leave it as is. :D

I always install the iaa because I think it makes a difference I did it at my work computer and its definetly a little peppier. we have 2.6 celerons here which arent that bad for work. I tried to play nfs underground on the intel "extreme" graphics and it barely plays it is so slow my geforce 2 played it better.

yes, there is a diffrence i have noticed with using the system in "raid ready." if i was to redo my system i would do it such again.

Back