Intel Announces Intel Arc Pro A60 and Pro A60M GPUs

erek

[H]F Junkie
Sort of interesting, decent aesthetics

"Why It Matters: Intel Arc Pro A-series graphics offer a new option to the workstation GPU space. Compared to existing Intel Arc Pro products, the Intel Arc Pro A60 and A60M offer double the number of PCIe lanes with 16, twice the memory bandwidth at 384 gigabytes per second, twice the dedicated AI Xe Matrix Extensions (XMX) engines with 256, and twice the number of ray tracing units with 16. They also feature full media encode and decode support, including AV1. These make Intel Arc Pro GPUs ideal for computer-aided design and modeling (CAD/CAM), AI inferencing tasks and media processing in dedicated business environments.

Intel Arc Pro GPUs are backed by quarterly driver releases for regular performance optimizations and ISV-certified by leading workstation applications used within the architecture, engineering and construction, and design and manufacturing industries, such as:
  • Autodesk 3ds Max
  • Autodesk AutoCAD
  • Autodesk Fusion 360
  • Autodesk Inventor
  • Autodesk Maya
  • Bentley MicroStation
  • Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS
  • Nemetscheck VectorWorks
  • PTC Creo
  • Siemens NX
  • Siemens Solid Edge
Intel's workstation GPUs are also optimized for media and entertainment applications like Blender and run rendering and ray tracing libraries in the Intel oneAPI Rendering Toolkit to enable the creation of high-performance, high-fidelity visual experiences at scale.

About Availability: The Intel Arc Pro A60 GPU for workstation desktops will be available from Intel authorized distributors in the coming weeks, while the Intel Arc Pro A60M GPU for mobile systems will be available from original equipment manufacturers (OEM) partners in the coming months. Additional workstation designs featuring the Intel Arc Pro A40 GPU are now available from HP, with Dell and Lenovo anticipated to follow in 2023's third quarter.

The Intel Arc Pro GPU family is also validated for use with Intel NUC 13 Extreme small form factor (SFF) PCs, which offer 125W unlocked 13th Gen Intel Core processors.

Intel Arc Pro desktop products come with a three-year limited warranty."

1686093532984.png

1686093546870.png

1686093559095.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/309694/intel-announces-intel-arc-pro-a60-and-pro-a60m-gpus

Not joking - this is potentially the most exciting GPU release since at least 2016. If they ever actually get these things on the shelves (it was supposed to be last year), these will be the first GPUs to have Dolby Vision support. So assuming applications provide proper support, home theater enthusiasts can return to using small HTPCs for a far superior experience to Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, and all the other inferior devices. Apple always gonna Apple, so there never was really any hope for that device. But really unfortunate that Nvidia essentially abandoned the Shield and never upgraded its hardware.

Something is probably going to go wrong, but if things go right, now we will actually have a premium quality option again. Tired of my buggy, slow, unstable, POS Nvidia Shield, which is still the best of all the trash out there at the moment.

I'm waitin on 3rd party tests/reviews, cause although the cards lookl ike some nice, single-slot devices, they will be totally worthless without high-quality, high-performance drivers, which was not the case with their consumer cards...

Frankly, I am skeptical of their performance with the above listed apps, 'cause I use some really powerful, top of the line workstation cards at work, and they sometimes struggle with our huge, extremely complicated 3D CAD/CAM tasks....

Reactions: erek
like this
Not joking - this is potentially the most exciting GPU release since at least 2016. If they ever actually get these things on the shelves (it was supposed to be last year), these will be the first GPUs to have Dolby Vision support. So assuming applications provide proper support, home theater enthusiasts can return to using small HTPCs for a far superior experience to Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, and all the other inferior devices. Apple always gonna Apple, so there never was really any hope for that device. But really unfortunate that Nvidia essentially abandoned the Shield and never upgraded its hardware.

Something is probably going to go wrong, but if things go right, now we will actually have a premium quality option again. Tired of my buggy, slow, unstable, POS Nvidia Shield, which is still the best of all the trash out there at the moment.
Why do you like it so much

If it supports gaming drivers for double duty I'll be more than happy to get one to mess around with. Even if not, well... Dat single slot tho...

Why do you like it so much
The GPU? Simply because these Intel Arc Pro A-Series GPUs are the only one with Dolby Vision lol. But even though this thread is talking about the top-end of the three, even the lowest A40 is supposed to have DV. So that one will probably be fine for an HTPC, unless you end up also running something equivalent to MadVR for non-DV content (which requires a lot of GPU power), but I believe that would have to specifically support these GPUs, and MadVR is more or less discontinued in ongoing development last I heard. Would have to be a fork or alternative.

Dolby Vision? Currently it is objectively superior in terms of image quality/capabilities (if properly utilized in streaming/bluray releases) to all the other HDR formats in consumer display devices. But, I actually don't have it yet. DV on my current 6 year old TV was one of the early ones and a buggy implementation, so HDR10 gives a superior result on my display. I don't want to upgrade my Shield to something that doesn't support DV though since I will also be upgrading my TV once one is released that meets all my requirements. Have not liked all the recent TV releases for various reasons.

like this
I'm not sure if it's bullshit or not, but I've heard the Pro A60 is going to be at a list price of $130 from a friend more read in the matter. I call shenanigans, but would be amazing if true.

like this
Jesus, that'd be a day one purchase for the ITX machine I'm planning...
Shit, maybe not day one for me; certainly a purchase I'd find a way to make at some point this summer or fall.

Just read the techpowerup link. So, up to 12GB of memory - that's a 192-bit memory bus. Still, for $179 that's a lot of GPU. As it should be. For a professional grade GPU this price is nothing less than insane.

Last edited:
like this
These could also be useful for transcoding on Plex servers & the like.
Sort of interesting, decent aesthetics

"Why It Matters: Intel Arc Pro A-series graphics offer a new option to the workstation GPU space. Compared to existing Intel Arc Pro products, the Intel Arc Pro A60 and A60M offer double the number of PCIe lanes with 16, twice the memory bandwidth at 384 gigabytes per second, twice the dedicated AI Xe Matrix Extensions (XMX) engines with 256, and twice the number of ray tracing units with 16. They also feature full media encode and decode support, including AV1. These make Intel Arc Pro GPUs ideal for computer-aided design and modeling (CAD/CAM), AI inferencing tasks and media processing in dedicated business environments.

These could also be useful for transcoding on Plex servers & the like.
Yeah, cost effective and modern replacement for the P2000 that's quite commonly used because newer cards still command quite high prices for those of us that run Plex for ourselves and a handful of friends vs people who are, uhm collecting donations for running Plex servers for their few hundred closest friends.

I'm cautiously excited for this, other than the part of having to go through all the Hyper-V DDA setup again if/when I replace my P2000.

Edit: A $179 MSRP for new would put it at the price of the average P2000 on eBay right now by the way. If performant at all this will be an absolutely killer value.

This is going to eat NVidia’s lunch…
I can’t express how many single slot or half height workstation cards they sell and how stupid their pricing is relative to what they deliver is.

This is hitting what was NVidia’s bread and butter.

Maybe AI will make up for it, maybe not, but it’s a huge foot in the door.

I read that Plex doesn't support ARC gpu's at the moment. This would be a nice card to have in a Plex Server for AV1 encoding and decoding.

This is going to eat NVidia’s lunch…
I can’t express how many single slot or half height workstation cards they sell and how stupid their pricing is relative to what they deliver is.

This is hitting what was NVidia’s bread and butter.

Maybe AI will make up for it, maybe not, but it’s a huge foot in the door.
Agreed.
Even before the supply chain issues and high GPU demand of the 2020s occurred NVIDIA was pricing the low-end then-Quadros out of the atmosphere.

This is the competition that is so direly needed in this product segment.

I read that Plex doesn't support ARC gpu's at the moment. This would be a nice card to have in a Plex Server for AV1 encoding and decoding.
It does. I have an A380 on my plex server. It recognizes it as QSV. Info on the internet is sparse, but I took a gamble and it worked no problem.

Plex works with Intel ARC gpu's, but it doesn't support AV1 encoding currently. I think there is the issue of the Linux kernel driver for the Intel ARC gpu's, it is included in the 6.0 & newer kernels, so if you're running on Linux you need at least kernel 6.0 to get the ARC gpu's to work.

Back