Intel and AMD will be obsolete tommorrow

Interesting indeed...

But I doubt it would be anything to worry about soon, as its not just going to come in and wipe out current technologies... And its just prototype, So I bet we are looking at Next year when that article says things using this "Cell" are going to be coming out before its actually implemented...

On another note, it has major potential to be awesome :D

I highly doubt it. It seems the "cell" architecture won't be x86 compatible. There is so much x86 code out there that it would take many, many years to rewrite it all for a new architecture. Porting so much code would cost a hell of a lot of money for software companies, too. Look how long it is taking microsoft to add support for x86-64 to Windows, and now imagine how long it would take to start from scratch. This is why the Itanium processor, which was supposed to replace x86 CISC based processors, failed to catch on despite the capability of being much faster.

thats all good and dandy

but how much will that sucker cost, will you be able to run x86 code on it, and will you be able to overclock it?

I think cost is the biggest issue, that and will anything actually be designed for it.

Another problem is that IBM is granted more patents than any other company in the world. Yet they sit on liked 75% of everything they come up with. They had Blue Laser CD drives back in the late 90s and still nothing has been done with them.

IBM just never does anything with most of the cool shit they come up with. I imagine scaled down versions will be in alot of consumer electronics as they've mentioned. But I doubt IBM will put them in PC's. Not that they couldn't. They've made PC processors before. Usually for Cyrix or another company and of course the G3 processor was theres also. In part at least.

It's a conspiracy!!! Tomorrow, IBM is gonna take over the world using world-wide cell AI !!! :D

It sure did... letsee they had similar products back in the day with the PowerPC architecture that made it into the Mac-land. Good proccies, but it didn't spell the end for either company.

If anything, it will spark competition and the consumer benefits.

I hope the Cell proc is everything the hype is saying it is to be. Since I've read that the production of Cell cores won't be very expensive, it could very well be the best bang-for-the-buck proc.

Like everything, though, only time will tell.

I don't think you naysayers understand. Read up about this a little. IBM already
has a prototype desktop PC sized cell machine cranking out something like 70 teraflops. I read this in another story a few months ago. The "desktop" was approx. 1/2 the power of
NEC's earth simulator. With that kind of power, you can emuluate x86!

Maynerd Goldstein said:
IBM already has a prototype desktop PC sized cell machine cranking out something like 70 teraflops.

First, I'm not a ney-sayer. The technology could turn out to be quite impressive. However, making claims that it will change the world "tomorrow" and put Intel and AMD out of business is absurd. As an earlier poster stated, only time will tell what falls out.

Which brings me to my second point, don't believe everything you read from marketeers or anonymous sources online. 70 teraflops on a desktop? Please post a link to a resource regarding this claim.

One more thing, this isn't the first time this has been done.... look up the old modular computing from Sun Microsystems called the "Lego Project" or something along those lines.

Also, these types of systems are available now with high-bandwidth FDDI links between machines.

Cell has awesome potential, but I think it will take a while before it becomes adopted by the mainstream.

I think it's evident that overclocking has become so mainstream, & such a large culture of nerds (and beyond) has grown, that the market demographic of today will be give off such a tremendously un-inviting "nay-stench", that IBM will be forced to sit on their patent or utilize it in propriety electronic sytems. Maybe BMW or Mercedes will buy it for their modular architecture that is so flaky right now. It would probably save them alot of money, and provide easier maintanence for the consumer, if what everybody is reading is true. Editors tend to pick articles to publish that stir up the pot, despite how exaggerated the story is. That's all for now. OneFlow

It will be adopted mainstream for certain hardware, no question. The PS3 is enough right there.

However, what these press releases are NOT telling us about is the amount of required bandwidth to create a virtual machine between separate hardware. Think about it this way: it is possible to build multi processor machines because each CPU has access to system resources on the motherboard. For separate machines to have access to the same virtual system, as a resource, you need INCREDIBLY fast, reliable connectivity between those machines.

I don't have fiber running to my doorstep, and even gigabit ethernet probably won't do the trick.... maybe 6gbit or so, but we won't see that to our houses ANYTIME soon.

In fact, I just lost my connection for a second. If I had a PS3, and our machines were linked for calculations, what do you think would happen?

"Intel and AMD will be obsolete tommorrow"

El Oh El

Thanks for the laugh.

Aegri Somnia said:
It will be adopted mainstream for certain hardware, no question. The PS3 is enough right there.

Good stuff, I haven't been up-to-date on this stuff...

What I failed to articulate was that I was coming from the angle of a complete cell computer that effectively does what the current systems + faster. The A64 CPU->DDR link is the closest I can think of, but that link was already 90% evolved a while ago and it's old school. I think they've pretty much maxed out memory. Then again, I'm just making convo and I haven't slept all night...

ummmm 3.2 ghz mem bus and 4.4 ghz io bus........ that IS incredible bandwidth

Back