intel 8 core plausible price

modulus

Limp Gawd
So I don't want to start a massive rumor thread, just looking for a little common sense reassurance.

I will be putting together a new system soon and would love putting in an 8 core sandy bridge chip in the build. My understanding is that any 8 core chips will be for socket 2011 which comes out something like 2H 2011, correct?

The upper limit of what I'd pay for a cpu is around $500. However, when looking at prices for the current 6 core chips intel puts out that are like $800-1000 range, Intel's first quad cores were also up in that price range when they first came out. I'm thinking there is no way intel's first 8 core chips are gonna get even remotely close to the $500 mark.

This leads me to think I should just go for socket 1155 and grab the 2500k or the 2600k, but I would have to shoot myself if I went for it, then 4-5 months later intel drops an 8 core chip in my price range.

So does my thinking make sense? Once again, I do not mean to start a thread of massive rumors and speculation, just looking to see if my thought process sounds right.

yes . . . a server part that runs up to a whopping 2 GHz for $3000.

Not exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking more along the lines of consumer releases? Plus given my $500 or so cpu budget I'm not thinking that's going to be of much help.

There will be an 8-core, 16-thread SB CPU for LGA1567 for desktops, but it probably won't be cheap. Cheaper than server variants, most likely, but still I'd say the $1000 range.

ok sounds good, that's what i figured in regards to price

thanks for the help

i'm still so confused on what the next enthusiast platform will be. someplaces say lga 1567, some say lga 2011, some say 1356, some say it was originally to be 1356 but intel scrapped it in order to put more space between mainstream and enthusiast segments. i have no idea at this point.

I'll have to agree, the mainstream will have I7 4 core 8 threads as the upper end
the 1366 replacement will probably use more 6 core 12 thread chips and the 'extreme' edition will be the $1000 8 core 16 thread chip.

i believe OP is looking for Ivy Bridge

Though now, its seems that Ivy Bridge will only launch during CES 2012, a year after Sandy Bridge. Ivy Bridge will replace dual-core processors with quad-core processors at the entry level segment, while delivering eight-core and sixteen-core processors for mainstream and higher-end level segments

There may be a consumer branded 8 chip for s2011, but the chances of it being available *AND* cheap are slim. The chances of it being available and cheap and THAT cheap are exactly zero. If there is one it'll be extreme edition and $1k, $1.5K, or $2k ($2k unlikely).

modulus: it depends on how you define enthusiest. Performance matters (so not a drone) but not willing pay enough to go extreme edition? s1155 "K" edition. Balls to the wall overclocking; or performance matters more than price? s2011.

I suspect, but certainly may be wrong, that the launch of "K" parts means s2011 will start at the $550 price bracket. I'll be pleasantly surprised and glad to be proven wrong if Intel launches s2011 with a $300 chip like the i7-920 was. Maybe a lone quad of the (consumer) series. The die size is there to allow it, but IDK if Intel wants the platform in that price bracket.

I would place myself in the "performance matters but not enough to pay for the extreme editions" camp so I'll probably end up with a lga 1155 K edition processor.

thanks for the help

I would place myself in the "performance matters but not enough to pay for the extreme editions" camp so I'll probably end up with a lga 1155 K edition processor.

thanks for the help

I don't think that platform will be releaseing more than 4core CPUs if thats what you're looking into, then waiting for s2011 might be wiser, perhaps they'll offer non-extreme priced 6cores by then? But who knows.

I really doubt 8-core procs would be within that price range.

I just broke down and got a 980x. Crazy fast. This should at least last next 3 years easily

I don't think that platform will be releaseing more than 4core CPUs if thats what you're looking into, then waiting for s2011 might be wiser, perhaps they'll offer non-extreme priced 6cores by then? But who knows.

I really doubt 8-core procs would be within that price range.

AMD may have some influence on this if they hit a homerun with their bulldozer. And what I mean by homerun is similar IPC to SB clocked at the same frequency so its competitive at the high end and not just the low to mid end. However with that said I do not see a $500 8 core clocked high enough to make it fast in single threaded applications from either manufacturer in 6 to 8 months.

Current 6 core extreme processors however will be in this price range used in a few months. I am waiting for a $500 980X.

im pretty sure 980x wont come down to that range. there extreme processors dont go below 700-800 bucks. amd tried that same bs years ago with the amd fx55 and it stayed up close to the 1k range also long after it was replaced by dual core processors. thankfyully amd gave up on those 1k processers it seems.

Is there a reason that intel wouldn't release an "i9" for 1155 eventually? Historically it's possible, given the 1156 i7 8xx series

I'd be surprised if they didn't release a 6 core processor at some point for 1155 platform. It's easy money for them, since people who own a 1155 setup are not going to go and upgrade everything to whatever socket is needed just for a 6-core. I certainly won't. However releasing a 6-core will get people like myself to upgrade from the 4-core at some point, netting them some easy money from getting people to upgrade their processors.

From a business standpoint, it's a no brainer decision to bring on some additional revenue.

Hmm I think that 8 core will also be a premium part in 2011, which means it will cost 1k. 8 core and 16 core will come out in 2012. *drool*

But I think Hexacore will become the new standard for S2011 mobo/chips. So if you wait you could get a Hexacore in the $500 price range although you'll also have to shell out more for a matching S2011 capable motherboard that might have oh... quad channel DDR3 memory support?!

http://gadgetsteria.com/2010/04/21/...o-feature-octo-cores-quad-channel-memory-and/

I'm still on a dual core 4ghz pentium E5300 and now they have a 8 core coming out next year?

ok sounds good, that's what i figured in regards to price

thanks for the help

i'm still so confused on what the next enthusiast platform will be. someplaces say lga 1567, some say lga 2011, some say 1356, some say it was originally to be 1356 but intel scrapped it in order to put more space between mainstream and enthusiast segments. i have no idea at this point.

1567 is a current server socket that is aging. Ive heard alot about Intel scrapping the 1356 socket as well. Socket 2011 is set to be a desktop and server socket. So i would say 2011 is the next enthusiast platform.

Is there a reason that intel wouldn't release an "i9" for 1155 eventually? Historically it's possible, given the 1156 i7 8xx series

Because the chipset/board/memory would choke up the CPU likely. 1156 and 1155 are entry level/mainstream sockets with features and power taken away. There is the 1366/2011 which are enthusiast chips.

Im betting that the 8 cores will be 1000 and up and all Xeons. I think the Extremes will be 6 cores.

Last edited:
1567 is a current server socket that is aging. Ive heard alot about Intel scrapping the 1356 socket as well. Socket 2011 is set to be a desktop and server socket. So i would say 2011 is the next enthusiast platform.

They are all aging, however, it's not old. It came out early 2010... so...

Not to mention, the previous socket in this position, LGA604 survived for some ungodly amount of time, despite being nothing more than stitched-together Penryn cores (to make a hex core).

This is Intel's 8 socket market. Each socket can hold upto 8 cores. It's not going to be replaced anytime soon.

Do you guys think there are any chances for Sandy Bridge 6 core chips at $300-400 price range in second half of 2011?

They are all aging, however, it's not old. It came out early 2010... so...

Not to mention, the previous socket in this position, LGA604 survived for some ungodly amount of time, despite being nothing more than stitched-together Penryn cores (to make a hex core).

This is Intel's 8 socket market. Each socket can hold upto 8 cores. It's not going to be replaced anytime soon.

Its being replaced by LGA2011.

Would 2011 still use DDR3 or would DDR4 be the new standard?

DDR3, it took a while for DDR3 to be released from the previous DDR2, so maybe (my opinion) after Sandy Bridge release, the next platform after it will have DDR4 out.

Its being replaced by LGA2011.

LGA2011 will only have two QPI links per socket. Not nearly enough for 8 sockets. The max you will see out of LGA2011 is 2 CPU... which is about a metric shit-ton under 8 CPUs.

You clearly have no clue what LGA604 was, even.

I wonder if this platform will be server/workstation only. I mean no overclocking and only REG ECC ram.

Back