apisorder

n00b
I was wondering if I install GTX1060 on the first PCIE X16 slot on Asus Z170 Gaming Pro, and Intel PCIE SSD 400G (I don't want to use the M2 slot for my SSD) on the second PCIE X16, can I still use the SSD as the primary boot drive with Windows 10 Home?

Here are the specs:
Z170 PRO GAMING - Specifications

Their customer service is polite but not particularly helpful and I couldn't get confirmations (it's also outsourced to China :)

Thanks.

I use this drive in two boards with an m.2 slot without any issues booting from WIndows 10, an Asus X99-E WS and an Asus Maximus Gene VIII. Both have M.2 Slots and both have had them filled and unfilled and both times they have booted from the 750 no issues. I am going to be trying the PC3600 soon as well, having a driver with higher endurance and 2tb is much more interesting to me now. I currently use the 1.2tb 750's. Great drive, great performance nothing but happy with it.

Forgot to mention it's a PCIE 3 x4 device, you don't need x16 to handle it at all. It mechanically has an x4 slot. It's been in x16s though for me and never been an issue.

Why don't you want to use the M2 slot?

I did for a while and I even used both for a while but the problem I have is that I want > 1tb a drive and I just could not get anything with that size. I was on order with Ramcity and the 961 OEM was delayed for months and months I finally gave up. If I was able to get a 2tb or better m.2 I might use it. Also I am learning with the new data center pcie ssd's from intel (I believe it was the 3608?) that it needs x8 because it does 5GB sequential. So I definitely will want that down the road. I have been looking at a new data center ssd for my main workstation, just not sure I can swallow the cost it's like 5200 for a 2tb version of that drive. In short, want more space.

I did for a while and I even used both for a while but the problem I have is that I want > 1tb a drive and I just could not get anything with that size. I was on order with Ramcity and the 961 OEM was delayed for months and months I finally gave up. If I was able to get a 2tb or better m.2 I might use it. Also I am learning with the new data center pcie ssd's from intel (I believe it was the 3608?) that it needs x8 because it does 5GB sequential. So I definitely will want that down the road. I have been looking at a new data center ssd for my main workstation, just not sure I can swallow the cost it's like 5200 for a 2tb version of that drive. In short, want more space.

Oh and I ended up giving away the drives that's why I don't use both of them now. Family discount hehe

For the intel datacenter SSD, it is better to put it in the 2nd PCIe slot as it is then linked directly to PCIe lanes from the CPU. The M.2 slot has to pass through the PCH to be accessed, adding the PCIe passthrough latency of the PCH to all transfers.

Consumer grade disks would be absolutely fine in the M.2.

You will only have x8 available for your GPU, but that does not seem to be a problem.

Back