Intel 12/13th Gen latency?

Posted on his Youtube thread and suggested trying it again with all the e-cores disabled on the 13900K. Big/Little setup makes writing a scheduler a lot harder, and I wouldn't be surprised if turning off all the e-cores helped in the tests that he's doing. Also I have to give him some crap for starting with Win10. Microsoft didn't update Win10 with their latest scheduler tweaks for e-cores, so Win10 is intentionally gimped on 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs aside from p-core only i3s and such.

I have noticed the stutters he talks about on my 12400 dell which is 6P cores.
It was worse when I got it and slightly better after a bios/microcode and driver update.
I gave up chasing it down as its livable.

I'm super sensitive and the latency problems make me crazy. One thing I noticed recently when using an older SATA SSD was that it smooths out a lot if you put the bottleneck on the drive.

Haven't noticed this on two 13th gen systems that replaced AMD systems.
Of course first thing I do on any Windows install is rip out windows defender from the bowels. Evil little focker it is!

So does this not affect AMD processors, since they don't have a hybrid core design?

It does. My AM5 rig gets these weird DPC spikes to like 9000us every now and then and you can really feel it if you're moving the mouse.

Only thing I've noticed is when I come back from idle for a while it studders to snap back when I try to launch programs for like 5 seconds.
Other than that It's the fastest cpu I've ever used.
I love tech yes but this whole "snappiest" PC is subjectively his opinion.
There shouldn't be any reason at all to use a 10th Gen vs a 13th gen especially. The power efficiency and speed is a pretty big difference in the 13th gens favor. I think he's just farming content knowing more of his fan base are on older cpus so he makes feel good content to justify his whole old and used but still good enough shtick which is fine but can be misleading.

Last edited:
Haven't noticed this on two 13th gen systems that replaced AMD systems.
Of course first thing I do on any Windows install is rip out windows defender from the bowels. Evil little focker it is!
What is wrong with windows defender? Also what alternative is better? And why?

What is wrong with windows defender? Also what alternative is better? And why?

I don't know if there's anything much better, but the whole concept is kind of terrible. Hook all file open/read/write/close; read it first in another process and check if it's bad (probably a bigger read than otherwise), and only after that's done let the real process continue. Maybe sometimes block to process definition updates first.

Really ungood for workflows that touch a lot of files like comping code.

I don't know if there's anything much better, but the whole concept is kind of terrible. Hook all file open/read/write/close; read it first in another process and check if it's bad (probably a bigger read than otherwise), and only after that's done let the real process continue. Maybe sometimes block to process definition updates first.

Really ungood for workflows that touch a lot of files like comping code.
You can disable real time protection, and other settings as well.

Only thing I've noticed is when I come back from idle for a while it studders to snap back when I try to launch programs for like 5 seconds.
Other than that It's the fastest cpu I've ever used.
I love tech yes but this whole "snappiest" PC is subjectively his opinion.
There shouldn't be any reason at all to use a 10th Gen vs a 13th gen especially. The power efficiency and speed is a pretty big difference in the 13th gens favor. I think he's just farming content knowing more of his fan base are on older cpus so he makes feel good content to justify his whole old and used but still good enough shtick which is fine but can be misleading.

My 13900K and 12700KF both exhibited that behavior and it was ANNOYING. I noticed it constantly and was distracted by it. I don't use my PC for much besides watching videos and gaming though so it never really had a large effect on my usage.

Sure, but when you disable it, it's not really doing its job.
Well then, don't complain about it, since all AV software does it that has real time protection. If you are not DLing and running suspicious software, you don't need it anyway. And you can just manually scan those files as well.

Back