Integrating a vpn into my existing home network?

mrbobo

Gawd
First my network setup:

I haveRoadrunner cable with a static IP
A linksys WRT54GS router running Sveasoft firmware
Some computers are using the wireless connection and one is using a wired connection.

Now, somebody at the house wants to setup a D-Link DI-804HV 4-port broadband vpn router to connect to a remote office(the IT person at her office gave this to her to use). Obviously this would be the solution if she was plugged straight into the cable modem but she isn't.

I really am not sure how to integrate this into my network. Would I put it on the DMZ? I do not want the office to have access to my machines, and my network. The obvious solution would be to get another IP from my ISP but they only sell them in 5's and want 80/month for the extra 5.

Oh and by the way, the wired computer is the one that needs to connect to the remote office, that should make things simplier ;)

Any ideas? :confused:

A big thanks!

check to see what type of vpn, i think your router has pptp passthru, possibly even ipsec, that should be all you need to enable

Ya it has IPSEC, PPTP, and L2TP passthroughs but I'm wondering if this will give him access to my entire network, or just the pc's connected to the d-link router. The only thing I know about the vpn is that it's the above mentioned router.

Thanks.

Why not just have her PC connect to the VPN instead of using the D-Link router? You said your router has all the necessary pass throughs. Windows XP has everything you need builtin. No need to worry about access to the LAN that way.

yeah, it sounds as if the IT guy and this girl are trying to create a constant PTP VPN tunnel between the dlink and that office. why? why would the office need a link to someone's house? all you should do is create a client connection on the girl's computer and when she needs to get on the office network then she initiates the client software. when she doesn't need access she closes it.

i would first find out why things aren't being done that way from the get-go.

big daddy fatsacks said:
yeah, it sounds as if the IT guy and this girl are trying to create a constant PTP VPN tunnel between the dlink and that office. why? why would the office need a link to someone's house? all you should do is create a client connection on the girl's computer and when she needs to get on the office network then she initiates the client software. when she doesn't need access she closes it.

i would first find out why things aren't being done that way from the get-go.

That was my thought, I just wasn't sure if that was what this vpn router was. I've never used one of them before.

Thanks for your help.

yeah, that router is a "VPN termination device" as it says in the manual. i would use that to maybe create a constant VPN tunnel between a remote office and the main HQ. that device would be my VPN endpoint at the remote location.

for all my remote workers though they just need software on their home computers or laptops. this device is completely unnecessary in this situation.

Back