Integrated Graphics Choice

liquidzyklon

Limp Gawd
Hello, I've been trying to Google this but nothing came up for me. I know the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (chipset Intel 852GME) is pretty crappy for gaming, just good for classics and of that sorts. I don't know how good the performance of the eMachine 5309's graphics [ATI® RADEON™ (Integrated)]. Intel scores about 3k in 3DMark 2001 (gives me an idea of how crappy it is) and the graphics quality is definitely below that of satisfactoy. I want to know the relative performance of the ATI to the Intel graphics. Someone with the eMachine 5309 help me here, or anybody with the ATI Radeon Integrated (NOT the IGP 9100) Video card give me the the number for the 3DMark 2001. TIA

The IGP320M (the chipset inside the 5309) is about as fast (or slow) as Intel Extreme Graphics 1. BTW, there's nothing wrong with the IEG1/2 graphics quality. The older i752-style integrated Intel graphics (i810E, etc) was pretty cheesy and did some ugly dithering, but later versions look fine.

The IGP320M has a single pixel pipeline with 3 texturing units and runs at 160MHz (160MP/s and 480MT/s max fillrate but the 3rd texture unit often goes unused unless rendering in single texture mode or trilinear is enabled). The chipset also only supports a 64-bit (shared) memory interface like the Intel integrated chipsets. The IEG2 runs at 266MHz and has 1 pixel pipelines with 2 texture units, but uses a more efficient tile based rendering method (no external Z buffer, on-chip graphics tile buffering). IEG1/2 are also DX7 class parts with no fixed function T&L or shader support.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/mobile/20020516/radeon_igp320m-11.html 3dmark2001 score = 1537 (doesn't make 3000 3dmarks look slow now, does it? ;) ) But 3DMark2001 is as much of a video benchmark as a CPU benchmark, so you might need to search more for comparable systems. I've seen IEG2 3DMark2001 scores as low as 2400, so CPU speed does matter (along with memory speed).

Thank you. Either way these vid cards are low end. The 3DMark2001 is just something that I use as a general reference that gives the ballpark of how well these cards compare. I'm comparing these cards to my Radeon VE (7000), which only scores about 5k...

Another reason, I'm asking is because there's a Toshiba laptop (A40-1LR) at Canada's BestBuy that uses IEG2 but with a 15" XGA+. While Futureshop has a Compaq computer which is an AMD which has IGP320M, but only a 15" XGA.

I have the ATi IGP340M, its not that bad, I can play vice city, Max Payne 2 etc @1024X768 Its not smooth but playable

Oh really, that's interesting. I didn't know it was powerful enough to play MaxPayne 2.

Got an extra question, it seems like the Toshiba notebook only has XGA display and the flyer has a typo. Are there any notebook (that can be bought in Canada) that has XGA+ or other screens larger than XGA besides Dell? I'm not just talking about widescreen, but regular display proportions.

Back