Installing gtx 570 (keep 8800 gts 512 for Physx?)

Jhalf

Limp Gawd
Should I keep my 8800 gts 512 for physx of would it just slow down my system? Does my P5Q Deluxe even support this?

Thanks guys

I have a fairly similar set-up (570+GTS250) and it makes a little bit of a difference, but not a ton.
I tested Batman a bunch of different times alternating PhysX from the 570 and off putting it to the 250. In general, having a separate card keeps the lowest lows much higher (50fps instead of 30fps) but my average FPS for both was still always 59fps.
From what I gather, the early 570 drivers are pretty rough and performance is due to improve quite a bit anyway.
If you have the card, you might keep it around (if you have the juice to run it with your PSU) but it may not make a huge impact.

I have a fairly similar set-up (570+GTS250) and it makes a little bit of a difference, but not a ton.
I tested Batman a bunch of different times alternating PhysX from the 570 and off putting it to the 250. In general, having a separate card keeps the lowest lows much higher (50fps instead of 30fps) but my average FPS for both was still always 59fps.
From what I gather, the early 570 drivers are pretty rough and performance is due to improve quite a bit anyway.
If you have the card, you might keep it around (if you have the juice to run it with your PSU) but it may not make a huge impact.

Wonder if we'll get a new driver before my 570 arrives on Tuesday. :D

The current one isn't horrible...but it's definitely not that great either.
It's apparently just a month old 580 driver that had the 570 added to the INF.
The sound driver is buggy (there are newer ones that are better), PhysX card support requires an older driver (the current driver isn't unified), and some games definitely aren't running as well as they could.
Still, I'm coming from a 5870 that gave me issues from day 1...and the 570 has fixed all of them. The Nvidia control panel is infinitely more effective than ATI's. Having support for vsync, triple buffering, monitor timings, etc. all in one place FTW.

After snooping around a little on Guru3D, apparently Nvidia is going to be releasing a unified driver this week that is the first "real" driver for the 570's. That should fix the issues with having to use several drivers at once to get PhysX working on a second card.

Back