installing applications for fastest speed..C: or D: drive vista/office

surfbug

Limp Gawd
hello

I have a system with an i7 920, 3gb and two 500gb hard drives

it has vista home premium on it

I am installing office

to keep the best speed, do I install office on the D drive or is it ok to install this app on the C drive....

I put my other games and downloads on the D drive so far....

thanks!

al

Um.. its not going to matter. You won't notice a difference either way... Its only Office...

Two different partitions on the same physical drive? It won't matter like stated above

no, there are two different physical drives....

still no difference?

each drive has only one partition...

al

IMO no it still won't make a difference. Like I said, its only Office...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

office isnt intense enough, you wont notice any different in speed from putting it on seperate drives. once office is open it isnt a resource hog unless your doing massive excel work or something, to which it is then more cpu intensive anyways.

You wouldn't see much of a difference no matter what the application is. The only time people seem to do this is for large games, and that isn't for a speed boost, but to save space on their C drive if they are small, or save from having to reinstall the games with custom files.

The only time people seem to do this is for large games, and that isn't for a speed boost, but to save space on their C drive if they are small, or save from having to reinstall the games with custom files.

Quite a few of us do it for speed boost..depending on the game. Helps you be one of the first spawned at level change. ;)

But yeah for Office...no diffy.

I'd be very very surprised if you saw any kind of noticeable difference, even in a game. I would think network conditions would play a much larger role in your example.

I'd be very very surprised if you saw any kind of noticeable difference, even in a game. I would think network conditions would play a much larger role in your example.

I believe you when you say you'd be surprised. I'm not however, been there..done that, seen it.

It can ease the difficulty of grasping the concept if you look at the same recommendation for servers that work with large files. (meaning....put those files on a separate spindle/volume)

Back