Pentium M 740

1Gb DDR2 RAM

256MB 6800 go

40GB HDD (soon to be 80GB 7200)

DVD/CD-RW combo drive

17inch WXGA widescreen.

all for 1280!!

JFTTUCAZ said:
Can someone tell me if the 9300 2nd monitor can be set to 1920 x 1080?

short answer, yes.

Long answer, yes, but if its VGA, thats stretching the limits of the VGA spec, you'll want DVI for best output at that high a res, and yes, the 9300 has dvi out ;-D

The_Engineer said:
but if its VGA, thats stretching the limits of the VGA spec
The RAMDAC is what limits resolution/refresh for analog VGA output. The link I posted above says the go 6800 includes dual 400MHz RAMDACs (max 2048x1536 at 85hz). That's easily enough for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz (or 1920x1080i @ 30Hz).

He was probably asking for DVI since 1920x1080 is a HDTV resolution.

pxc said:
He was probably asking for DVI since 1920x1080 is a HDTV resolution.

True True

Also, the Analog signal can really only be expanded so big without quality loss, same thing as with any analog, there are limits, even with a good ramdac.

PXC and Engineer,

You are right on the money. It is going straight to an LCD with a native res of 1920*1080, perfect for HD, and with the DVI... You can't beat digital! :p

My main concern was software related. My current toshiba has nvidia 5200. It can pump out 2048 * 1536 on the analog RGB. However, the software/driver won't let me hit right on the 1920*1080. :(

I downloaded powerstrip, and played with it for hours with no success. I was hoping with the 9300 I can forgetaboutda the toshiba.

JFTTUCAZ said:
PXC and Engineer,

You are right on the money. It is going straight to an LCD with a native res of 1920*1080, perfect for HD, and with the DVI... You can't beat digital! :p

My main concern was software related. My current toshiba has nvidia 5200. It can pump out 2048 * 1536 on the analog RGB. However, the software/driver won't let me hit right on the 1920*1080. :(

I downloaded powerstrip, and played with it for hours with no success. I was hoping with the 9300 I can forgetaboutda the toshiba.

Here is some info to help. NOT the exact same question, but some answers along your lines.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261164

I just suckered myself into buying this for $1155:
Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Display 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
Memory 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 1 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
Hard Drive 60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD/DVD Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Wireless Personal Networking Card Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Qty: 1

I'll transplant the 715 I have now into it for 2GHz of goodness and I already have another 512MB DDR2 SODIMM. I can get an 8x DL burner for $100 shipped. Add a big external hard drive and I might dump my desktop (but keep the 20" LCD). :D

There's another $750 off ($1899) coupon that came out today: JS0K84R588C7FZ

pxc said:
I just suckered myself into buying this for $1155:
Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Display 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
Memory 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 1 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
Hard Drive 60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD/DVD Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Wireless Personal Networking Card Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Qty: 1

Nice choice. Welcome back to the light side ;-D

pxc said:
Add a big external hard drive and I might dump my desktop (but keep the 20" LCD). :D
Im glad Im not the only one with that plan...my 2x120 R1 array is getting split into external enclosures (have 1 on the way now) and Im going to keep the 2000FP. Now to just get enough cash together to buy the 9300, I can sell the desktop and excepting hard drive speed (I'll miss my raptor) and HT (P4C) I will be upgrading.

JFTTUCAZ said:
PXC and Engineer,

Some more linkage on HDTV from DVI connections on video cards.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1367918,00.asp
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=420510

GLSauron said:
Im glad Im not the only one with that plan...my 2x120 R1 array is getting split into external enclosures (have 1 on the way now) and Im going to keep the 2000FP.
I have a feeling i'll want a desktop again after selling mine, but not anything fancy. I'll grab a $150 4700 P4 2.8GHz from the outlet the next time I see one, and throw in my nice refurb Gigabyte 6200 (8 pipelines unlock and it runs at 550/700). :D

I got my 9300 about a week ago.
Tried the tv out yesterday, but to my surprise only shows black and white
Mine has the 256meg geforce card in it if that helps

VladyLama said:
I got my 9300 about a week ago.
Tried the tv out yesterday, but to my surprise only shows black and white
Mine has the 256meg geforce card in it if that helps
Change the Video output format in the TV settings window from Auto to S-Video.

Quote:
Change the Video output format in the TV settings window from Auto to S-Video.

i did that already, also tried changing NTSC -> PAL and back
can the cable have something to do with it
I have a cheap-o cable I found around here

smell said:
How does the Dell 9300 compare to the Dell XPS gen2 gaming laptop?
Both are virtually the same, but the XPS 2 has 2 options the 9300 doesn't: go 6800 Ultra and P-M 2.13GHz.

I couldn't resist any longer after subscribing to this thread. Ordered a i9300 with 1.8ghz cpu/wuxga/60gig 7200rpm HD/dvdr/6800go/1 gig ram/9 cell battery/3 yr warranty for about $2000usd. I know....not a deal to write home about but those wonderful dell coupons don't work in asia. :-(

one question tho -
my notebook is going to come with winxp home (blech).....is it easy to wipe it and put XP pro on it (as far as the drivers and stuff are concerned....i'm guessing dell gives you a drivers cd somewhere?)

XiaoBai said:
one question tho -
my notebook is going to come with winxp home (blech).....is it easy to wipe it and put XP pro on it (as far as the drivers and stuff are concerned....i'm guessing dell gives you a drivers cd somewhere?)

If you download and burn all the drivers, assuming it doesn't come with a driver cd, you may want to consider using a partitioning tool and deleting the extra 4gb partition dell hides with a recovery image on your hard drive. While this partition can make recovery pretty painless, it has all the dell extras in it, and takes up 4g of hdd space.

Congrats on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it.

The_Engineer said:
If you download and burn all the drivers, assuming it doesn't come with a driver cd, you may want to consider using a partitioning tool and deleting the extra 4gb partition dell hides with a recovery image on your hard drive. While this partition can make recovery pretty painless, it has all the dell extras in it, and takes up 4g of hdd space.

Congrats on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it.
Also make sure you install the drivers in the right order: I believe you must first install the NSS (notebook system software); second the chipset drivers, then anything else after that..Or, if you want the same OS, you can burn a copy of the OS reinstall from start>all programs>Dell something>something--you can burn only one copy, & it has all the necessary drivers slip-streamed into it W/OUT all the bloatware

Thanks for the links and advice, guys. The notebook forums link is fantastic.

It mentions that there are two versions of the WUXGA screen - the matt finish (which has the sparkly problems) and the glossy samsung gloss finish. It also mentions that most of what is shipping now is the latter. But how do I check to be sure when I actually get my notebook?

I figured I'd chime in with my i9300 specs too!

I have a Pentium M 730 (1.6ghz, 533mhz FSB), 2gb of DDR2, 60gb 7200rpm drive, 128mb Radeon X300, DVD+/-RW (dual-layer), and Intel 2200 wireless. I opted for the WXGA+ (1440x900) LCD because of my old eyes. I just can't take insane resolutions on laptop LCDs, and I HATE large fonts ;)

Right now I am waiting on one of my vendors to get the new Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm laptop drives in so I can drop one in my laptop.

Overall I am extremely happy with this laptop. It is absolutely awesome for what I need it for (work), but it has enough "Oomph" for play too.

XiaoBai said:
I couldn't resist any longer after subscribing to this thread. Ordered a i9300 with 1.8ghz cpu/wuxga/60gig 7200rpm HD/dvdr/6800go/1 gig ram/9 cell battery/3 yr warranty for about $2000usd. I know....not a deal to write home about but those wonderful dell coupons don't work in asia. :-(

one question tho -

I formatted mine and put Pro on it without much problem, but as mentioned, burn the drivers first. Mine didn't even come with a restore disk, just a magic partition or something. I left it on there for now, i haven't really explored it but it does not show in windows
:confused:

The only thing I didn't install is the drivers for the touch pad. My work machine, a Latitude d600 seems to lock up and I can't click on anything every now and then, but I have herds of junk on it so something else is probably causing the problem...i just too lazy to poke with it. The only CD's mine came with are the burning software and DVD player cds :rolleyes:

Nasty_Savage said:
I formatted mine and put Pro on it without much problem, but as mentioned, burn the drivers first. Mine didn't even come with a restore disk, just a magic partition or something. I left it on there for now, i haven't really explored it but it does not show in windows
:confused:
you can boot into the "magic partition" by hitting ctrl+f11 on bootup at/before the dell screen From here you can restore windows to the state it was in when you got the computer.

Judging by the number of pages, I can assume that this is a solid, popular machine. I've got to get a notebook for when I go off to uni this autumn, and I'm thinking about the 9300 (or maybe the XPS Gen 2 - I'm spending Someone Else's Money) but I'm worried about the portability of it. I'm not too concerned with the weight (about the same as an Xbox, yes?), but the sheer size of the thing might force me to get something else. Is it ridiculously big? Is it the sort of thing you could take out in a public place without looking foolish?

hehe, I have an 8600 and i thought it was bulky with a 15.4". That was until I saw the 9300, they're really powerful but I can spot them a hundred feet away at my college, they are collossal lol

Well, I got the i9300 delivered today - installed XP Pro without any problems. The thing is massive - doesn't even fit in my old bag. Another thing is I got the LG screen, and I see them sparklies. Can someone here tell me if I can (or should) ask dell to replace it with a samsung screen?

i guess its personal. for me, im fine with the LG screen. i think it looks great, although i havent really taken it outside. i dont think you can just request the samsung screen, you can send it in and hope for the best.

changingman said:
Judging by the number of pages, I can assume that this is a solid, popular machine. I've got to get a notebook for when I go off to uni this autumn, and I'm thinking about the 9300 (or maybe the XPS Gen 2 - I'm spending Someone Else's Money) but I'm worried about the portability of it. I'm not too concerned with the weight (about the same as an Xbox, yes?), but the sheer size of the thing might force me to get something else. Is it ridiculously big? Is it the sort of thing you could take out in a public place without looking foolish?

Well, it seems to me that it is lighter than an xbox, but I won't lie, the thing really is big, its about as big of a laptop as you can get actually. if you need something to replace your desktop AND use portable sometimes, this is the direction to look. Though there are similarly powered notebooks with slightly smaller footprints (think asus). Dell usually has some of the best cupons and money savers around. Where do you think you'll be using this? Acutally in class? or just around campus? Unless you need to fit it on a tiny desk, it really isn't all that bad in my experience. It does kinda stick out at coffee houses though :D :D :D

The_Engineer said:
Well, it seems to me that it is lighter than an xbox, but I won't lie, the thing really is big, its about as big of a laptop as you can get actually. if you need something to replace your desktop AND use portable sometimes, this is the direction to look. Though there are similarly powered notebooks with slightly smaller footprints (think asus). Dell usually has some of the best cupons and money savers around. Where do you think you'll be using this? Acutally in class? or just around campus? Unless you need to fit it on a tiny desk, it really isn't all that bad in my experience. It does kinda stick out at coffee houses though :D :D :D
If I find I need to bring a laptop to class I will get an X3x or the cheapest 700m I can. This is just to be left on the desk until I come home for a weekend or hit a LAN party. Actually it will have an external monitor, external HDD, 100BaseT network, and a MX duo connected to it 99% of the time. Aside from the minor issue of not having HT (though I will be getting a yonah chip for it if possible when available) and not quite being a raptor drive, it'll be an upgrade on the desktop it's replacing.

Does anyone know how to get TV out to work with the inspiron 9300? I have a 6800Go

I installed the dell nvidia drivers, and all I have is the desktop manager instead of the nview display properties. I don't see clone or tv out options anywhere.

The latest forceware drivers refused to install too.

what version of linux does everyone use on their 9300.
i was thinking about fedora, or the new debian release

i don't think i want knoppix or, some toy linux distos

I may slap Suse on it, but I'm not sure I may just leave it as a portable game rig and redo my servers after I get the two bundles from the AMD tech tour next month.

Just bit.. Came to $1,307.32 after tax

I9300,PM 740(1.73GHZ)
17IN ULTRASHARP WXGA+
256MB,DDR2,533MHZ,1 DIMM
256MB NVIDIA 6800
60GB HARD DRIVE,7.2K

I chose the 1440x9 display on the fact that im staring at a 19" lcd (at work) running 1280x1024 and its plenty of screen space to crawl around and read stuff on (save big stuff for my desktop running 16x12).
Just need to snag a few 1 gig sticks and I will be sittin pretty :D

ouch.. est ship date is the 24th :( :mad:

Edit: Now its pushed out till the 1st :( how long did it take for every one else to get theres?

Back