Insignia 4k 43" Roku + HDMI 4:4:4 (Cheap and 4:4:4)

They already have the website up: SmartCast M-Series 4K UHD + HDR Home Theater Display | VIZIO

Right now it just says "Coming Soon". The 2015 M-series owners thread was started around Mid-April of last year on AVS Forum, so my best guess is that they're holding off 2-3 weeks in order to give the P-series a head start.

Edit: Just a FYI, here are the chroma specs on the 2016 P-series as relayed by a Vizio rep:

HDMI 1-4 support the following:

2160@60 4:4:4, up to 8bit per color
2160@60 4:2:2, up to 12bit per color
2160@60 4:2:0, up to 12 bit per color

HDMI 5 is a low latency (gaming) port that supports:

2160@60, 4:2:0, up to 10bit per color
1080p@120, 4:4:4, up to 10bit per color
~15ms latency in game mode

Wow those are impressive specs, esp. for monitor use. Hopefully they'll still have the 43" M series this year. Thanks for the info.

Looks like another review is in on this TV. Hopefully I can verify today as my shipping date changed to a delivery date of today. Below is a review taking from Best Buy website.

Let me start by saying this TV fits my needs exactly, and that is to be a computer monitor. I have been long searching for a 4k TV that would support 4k resolution @60hz and 4:4:4 color settings. I will also add, that I almost returned this TV as even Insignia's support line could not verify this for me. After some additional tinkering through the settings, I learned that each HDMI port has a setting to select HDMI 2.0, 1.4, or "Auto". It is defaulted to "Auto" and my gtx 970 graphics card obviously was making it default to 1.4. Once I set it to HDMI 2.0 I was good to go. Also, you can assign preset names to each HDMI port which is a nice plus.

The Good: Super clear when viewing in 4k as a computer monitor. Works great for games once set up to the 60hz and 4:4:4 color setting. Makes working on multiple web pages a pleasure, and I'm sure it will be nice for editing video once I have the time to play with that as well. I was playing the 2013 Tomb Raider and that game looked mind blowing in 4k. It's also a Roku TV! So you save a $130 from buying a Roku 4 as well. I tested House of Cards via Netflix and it looked wonderful! The TV is only $400, a great entry level 4k TV.

The Bad: Viewing angle is not great. However, again, perfect for my needs which is sitting directly in front of it. Once you go past 25%, the color will suffer some (not terrible, but not great either). This is definitely a TV best viewed straight on for 1-2 people. I'm sure as you sit further away, 3 on a couch would see it pretty well, but those off to the side probably would not have a good experience. I'm not a videophile, but appreciate good tvs (my main tvs are plasma, highest end samsung and LG for the best colors...I'll eventually replace with OLED). That said, I can see occasional "blotchiness" on pure white screens, but its not all that bad...and given the interenet browsing is a lot of what its doing, its not obvious enough to make me not enjoy using it. I will note that Daredevil did not stream as well, not really sure what that is...but it also doesn't look as good on my plasma's in 1080p, perhaps something on how Netflix streams this show.

All Said: For a person on a budget, its a great entry level 4K tv with a good amount of adjustment settings. Better yet, its a solid 43" PC monitor with support for 4K @ 60hz an 4:4:4. If you are an enthusiast, pass on this TV. If you're a casual user looking to save some money and/or get a great 43" PC monitor, pick one up and try it!

Looks like another review is in on this TV. Hopefully I can verify today as my shipping date changed to a delivery date of today. Below is a review taking from Best Buy website.

Let me start by saying this TV fits my needs exactly, and that is to be a computer monitor. I have been long searching for a 4k TV that would support 4k resolution @60hz and 4:4:4 color settings. I will also add, that I almost returned this TV as even Insignia's support line could not verify this for me. After some additional tinkering through the settings, I learned that each HDMI port has a setting to select HDMI 2.0, 1.4, or "Auto". It is defaulted to "Auto" and my gtx 970 graphics card obviously was making it default to 1.4. Once I set it to HDMI 2.0 I was good to go. Also, you can assign preset names to each HDMI port which is a nice plus.

The Good: Super clear when viewing in 4k as a computer monitor. Works great for games once set up to the 60hz and 4:4:4 color setting. Makes working on multiple web pages a pleasure, and I'm sure it will be nice for editing video once I have the time to play with that as well. I was playing the 2013 Tomb Raider and that game looked mind blowing in 4k. It's also a Roku TV! So you save a $130 from buying a Roku 4 as well. I tested House of Cards via Netflix and it looked wonderful! The TV is only $400, a great entry level 4k TV.

The Bad: Viewing angle is not great. However, again, perfect for my needs which is sitting directly in front of it. Once you go past 25%, the color will suffer some (not terrible, but not great either). This is definitely a TV best viewed straight on for 1-2 people. I'm sure as you sit further away, 3 on a couch would see it pretty well, but those off to the side probably would not have a good experience. I'm not a videophile, but appreciate good tvs (my main tvs are plasma, highest end samsung and LG for the best colors...I'll eventually replace with OLED). That said, I can see occasional "blotchiness" on pure white screens, but its not all that bad...and given the interenet browsing is a lot of what its doing, its not obvious enough to make me not enjoy using it. I will note that Daredevil did not stream as well, not really sure what that is...but it also doesn't look as good on my plasma's in 1080p, perhaps something on how Netflix streams this show.

All Said: For a person on a budget, its a great entry level 4K tv with a good amount of adjustment settings. Better yet, its a solid 43" PC monitor with support for 4K @ 60hz an 4:4:4. If you are an enthusiast, pass on this TV. If you're a casual user looking to save some money and/or get a great 43" PC monitor, pick one up and try it!

Awesome. Please verify after you have everything hooked up whether or not this will actually do 4:4:4 as labeled. It seems we're getting conflicting reports. If you could also post a screenshot of your 4:4:4 test, that would be really helpful.

My laptop has a Intel Core i5-4300u @1.9GHz, which has Intel HD Graphics 4400. Max resolution is 3840x2160@30hz. I'm assuming it should output a true 4:4:4. But I can't get it looking good on this screen. Open to ideas.

My laptop has a Intel Core i5-4300u @1.9GHz, which has Intel HD Graphics 4400. Max resolution is 3840x2160@30hz. I'm assuming it should output a true 4:4:4. But I can't get it looking good on this screen. Open to ideas.

Have you tested a different HDMI cable by chance? Are your video drivers up to date? Silly question, but are you using the HDMI port labeled 4:4:4?

Your assumption that your laptop supports 4:4:4 output may not be correct. I'm no expert, but perhaps someone else can clarify or you could try to find an answer online.

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with my nVidia Shelid. Also tried a DVI to HDMI cable. same result. I don't have any other hdmi cables on hand. I'm upgrading the graphics driver now, but the one I had was not far behind current. Yes.. i'm using input 1, that has the 4:4:4 label next to it. I also tried input 2, which gives exact same result. I'll report back after I reboot following the driver update.

2016-03-25 16.15.32.jpg
2016-03-25 16.43.24.jpg

Just uploaded a few pics. I am still messing with the settings and trying to find a better way to take pics of screen as it looks better than what pictures show. It does work as advertised but takes some work with tweaking the settings and making sure on both the TV and computer it is set to HDMI 2.0 to get 4:4:4 4k 60Hz. My GPU is GTX 970.

Just uploaded a few pics. I am still messing with the settings and trying to find a better way to take pics of screen as it looks better than what pictures show. It does work as advertised but takes some work with tweaking the settings and making sure on both the TV and computer it is set to HDMI 2.0 to get 4:4:4 4k 60Hz. My GPU is GTX 970.

I appreciate you uploading the pictures. I also have a GTX970, so I am *very* interested in your results. :)

Ya, on the picture you posted, it's hard for me to tell if 4:4:4 is really happening or not. It's hard to see the individual pixels in any of the lines, so it's difficult to judge.

Edit: Do you have any amount of Windows scaling going on in your photos?

It doesn't look like the new Vizio models are going to be sized smaller than 50", and that's just too big for me to use as a monitor. I'm really hoping this comes through.

Last edited:
no change after updating video driver.

I"m sorry, at this point I really don't know. All my systems have either dedicated ATI or nVidia cards, so as SellySel posted in their screencap there is dedicated software to make sure 4:4:4 is coming through. I don't think Intel has anything for their APUs. It looks to me that your picture is somehow getting downsampled to either 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

I tried to do a bit of Google-Fu, but didn't find anything concrete. :(

It doesn't look like the new Vizio models are going to be sized smaller than 50", and that's just too big for me to use as a monitor. I'm really hoping this comes through.

Where did you find this info? Last year's M and E series both had sizes < 50" (43, 40+43, respectively).

I do not know if the final pictures have scaling going on but I did make sure the chroma test was at 100% using a .png viewer. There is a big difference when switching the settings from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4.The difference from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 is smaller but is noticeable on the other color lines.

I do not know if the final pictures have scaling going on but I did make sure the chroma test was at 100% using a .png viewer. There is a big difference when switching the settings from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4.The difference from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 is smaller but is noticeable on the other color lines.

So in person, is the 4:4:4 text as sharp on the TV as it is on a computer monitor? Sorry, it's hard to tell from the picture.

Could the panel be using a RGBW subpixel layout?

That was being debated a couple of pages ago. Apparently someone on AVSForum stated that it was using an LG RGBW panel. The problem is that the Best Buy specs list this TV as a VA panel, and LG doesn't make a VA panel. I believe the RGBW panels are all IPS.

I have the same question because the photo looks sharp, but it looks like there are white pixels bleeding over in places.

I am starting to think the same regarding it being a RGBW panel. As the lettering is sharp but you do see white pixels on the last two rows. I have the sharpness down to zero but if you turn it up the white pixels become more pronounced. When browsing though so far everything looks great. I also enabled gaming mode, as there was some mouse pointer lag with it off. Have played a few games and so far so good.

Is there a test pattern or something I can run to verify panel type?

crop1.jpg

nocrop.jpg IMG_6169.JPG
This is the best picture I have of the pixels. Took me a while too... They are damn small. This thing may go back to Best Buy as it doesn't really do it for me for desktop use. Like someone said earlier it is like a mesh around certain colors.

Looks like It's a BGR pixel layout. Windows Cleartype needs to be adjusted for that or text won't look as sharp.

When selecting 4:4:4 the Output Dynamic Range automatically changes to limited and the box is grayed out not letting me set back to full.

That is not good if you cant have full output dynamic range. The color won't look correct. I m starting to think this TV is really not the affordable 4K 4:4:4 60hz that we all wish it could be ;(

That is not good if you cant have full output dynamic range. The color won't look correct. I m starting to think this TV is really not the affordable 4K 4:4:4 60hz that we all wish it could be ;(

Per this website: RGB: Full vs. Limited - Reference Home Theater televisions should always be set to RGB limited, so I'm not sure that the video card isn't doing what it should be.

Hackerman22: thank you for confirming this isn't a RBGW panel!

SellySel: have you tried setting Windows to BGR to see if there is a difference?

When you select YCbCr444 as the output color format it grays out Output Dynamic Range because it puts it to full automatically. Even though it shows limited in the box it isn't.

I have been using YCbCr444 since I got monitor and had to make some adjustments to color when playing games. Just switched to RGB Full and colors in games look great using just default settings. Other than that I do not see much differnce with just normal web browsing between YCbCr444 and RGB.

Edited: I take that back. Whites are messed up uisng RGB Full. Also light grey becomes white with RGB full. Overall it still looks great when gaming. Just waiting for release of Pascal so I can use to the full potential.

Last edited:
I have been using YCbCr444 since I got monitor and had to make some adjustments to color when playing games. Just switched to RGB Full and colors in games look great using just default settings. Other than that I do not see much differnce with just normal web browsing between YCbCr444 and RGB.

Edited: I take that back. Whites are messed up uisng RGB Full. Also light grey becomes white with RGB full. Overall it still looks great when gaming. Just waiting for release of Pascal so I can use to the full potential.

Looks like the RGB full showing light grey as white is explained in the article I posted a couple of posts above.

Have you tried another 4:4:4 chroma test after making adjustments? Do you still have the white pixel bleed on the test? Would you mind posting another snapshot of your latest test for comparison?

Now that you've had it for a few days, what are your impressions? Great for use as a PC monitor and PC gaming? Thanks!

well, we are talking about using this TV as a 4K monitor so it being able to do RGB full is important. On my Samsung Un40ju6500 if I have the rgb to limited in video card setting, I have to go into the tv and change the colorspace setting or else shadows is messed up. But I have a choice to select full or limited and using it as a monitor it is on full.

well, we are talking about using this TV as a 4K monitor so it being able to do RGB full is important. On my Samsung Un40ju6500 if I have the rgb to limited in video card setting, I have to go into the tv and change the colorspace setting or else shadows is messed up. But I have a choice to select full or limited and using it as a monitor it is on full.

SellySel said they were able to choose Full when changing the dropdown from YCbCr444 to RGB. I'm curious what the chroma test looks like under those settings as compared to what they posted prior.

SellySel said they were able to choose Full when changing the dropdown from YCbCr444 to RGB. I'm curious what the chroma test looks like under those settings as compared to what they posted prior.

So have we establish that this is a BGR panel and not an RGB or WRGB panel? as for chroma, full vs limited I don't think will affect it. Probably will affect things like shadows but if you have non 4:4:4 you would still have non 4:4:4 no matter if you have full or limited color space.

So have we establish that this is a BGR panel and not an RGB or WRGB panel? as for chroma, full vs limited I don't think will affect it. Probably will affect things like shadows but if you have non 4:4:4 you would still have non 4:4:4 no matter if you have full or limited color space.

The picture from hackerman22 above seems to thankfully rule out a WRGB panel (as well as the spec sheets which list the panel as a VA). His picture of the pixel arrangement seems to indicate BGR to me. I agree with your point regarding chroma, but SellySel's picture definitely looked to me more like a 4:4:4 chroma setting as compared to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 (text looks garbled). I just found it odd that the text in SellySel's picture, while perfectly readable, looked off due to the white pixels. I'm not sure that it isn't the zoom from the camera used, or that it may be a BGR panel still configured as RGB.

2016-03-27 20.22.45.jpg
I'm pretty sure it is just my TV settings for color are not set correctly. I have played with them some more and attached another picture. Also I am using my phone to take the shots so not the best at capturing exactly what I am seeing.

We really need to get some additional people testing out this display.

The only person we have is using a laptop correct?

Hopefully this coming week we can get input latency and a 970 or 980 tested on this display.

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with my nVidia Shelid. Also tried a DVI to HDMI cable. same result. I don't have any other hdmi cables on hand. I'm upgrading the graphics driver now, but the one I had was not far behind current. Yes.. i'm using input 1, that has the 4:4:4 label next to it. I also tried input 2, which gives exact same result. I'll report back after I reboot following the driver update.

I'll be returning this TV today. For something that I'm going to be staring at for 8 hours a day, it's got to be better than this.

Just can't get rid of those white pixels. I zoomed in on an picture I took and it looks just like the one above showing BGR layout. But just seems to be a lot of bleed around the red.

I have this at work, so I took my laptop home to compare again with the Vizio D55u-D1 and the vizio is MUCH sharper. Given then same laptop and same HDMI cable, the difference has to be the TV. I don't see any setting in Windows 7 or the graphics card settings to set it to BGR mode instead of RGB to see if that makes any difference.

Thinking of just spending a little more and getting a curved samsung.

I'll be returning this TV today. For something that I'm going to be staring at for 8 hours a day, it's got to be better than this.

Just can't get rid of those white pixels. I zoomed in on an picture I took and it looks just like the one above showing BGR layout. But just seems to be a lot of bleed around the red.

I have this at work, so I took my laptop home to compare again with the Vizio D55u-D1 and the vizio is MUCH sharper. Given then same laptop and same HDMI cable, the difference has to be the TV. I don't see any setting in Windows 7 or the graphics card settings to set it to BGR mode instead of RGB to see if that makes any difference.

Thinking of just spending a little more and getting a curved samsung.

BTW. Here's a close up pic of the pixels on mine showing the BGR layout. But seems to be tons of light bleed around the pixels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-28-09-12-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-28-09-12-29.png
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 119
I'm picking one up today, as my BenQ projector has to go in for some RMA service.

How do i setup 4:4:4 on a GTX 970?

Back