Inside the OLPC XO

HardOCP News

[H] News
Heise Mobile has an in-depth eight page article of the OLPC project with complete specs and pictures of the inside of the XO.

OPLC is based on the conviction that capacity building and the education of schoolchildren in developing and industrializing nations will make the world a bit more just and peaceful. The XO laptop provides users with a means of communications and access to content to promote this goal. The OLPC's goals are grand: millions of XOs are to be manufactured.

Seems to me that this is a waste of money, none of these can even be upgraded, rendering them worthless in a few years. Also the other problem I see with them with all the integrated technology is that repairs would also be useless.

Anyways, I look at the negative things, I'm sure the positives will outweigh. I just don't see much of a improvement over say used laptops being used or older technology notebooks being reproduced.

That is one cluttered board. Maybe these guys should have had a chat with Via.

Seems to me that this is a waste of money, none of these can even be upgraded, rendering them worthless in a few years. Also the other problem I see with them with all the integrated technology is that repairs would also be useless.

Anyways, I look at the negative things, I'm sure the positives will outweigh. I just don't see much of a improvement over say used laptops being used or older technology notebooks being reproduced.

Did you even look at the specs at all, its a 366mhz CPU, its already outdated. The point isn't to be a gaming machine, but a simple tool for poor school children. Making it upgradeable would just raise the cost and defeat the whole purpose of the whole program!

Did you even look at the specs at all, its a 366mhz CPU, its already outdated. The point isn't to be a gaming machine, but a simple tool for poor school children. Making it upgradeable would just raise the cost and defeat the whole purpose of the whole program!

Ummm that was my point :rolleyes: Like you said, this is not a gaming machine, just a learning machine, but in a few years, learning would be no longer accomplished from it.

"What kind of processor do you have?" "The AMD Choad." :D Sorry just had to.

But seriously, a very noble effort for trying to get more computers in the hands of impoverished children. Very cool.

Ummm that was my point :rolleyes: Like you said, this is not a gaming machine, just a learning machine, but in a few years, learning would be no longer accomplished from it.

I agree completely. I mean, who's going to need interactive learning tools in the future? Hell, who's gonna need to read in a few years? Every scifi movie I've ever seen has told me that 5 years from now the info will be instantly loaded into my brain.

I agree completely. I mean, who's going to need interactive learning tools in the future? Hell, who's gonna need to read in a few years? Every scifi movie I've ever seen has told me that 5 years from now the info will be instantly loaded into my brain.

On a side note, writing on paper-like substances has been going strong for 5,000 years. We should probably stop making paper, it'll be useless in 5 years.

It's funny to think these computers and chips are probably made by heavily underpayed workers in poor countries who then don't make enough money to buy a computer and have to give their kids this computer :)

It's funny to think these computers and chips are probably made by heavily underpayed workers in poor countries who then don't make enough money to buy a computer and have to give their kids this computer :)
Ah, the circle of tech.

Back