Informative video about Cyanogenmod

Watched this the other day. Impressive to say the least. Can't wait for the Q&A portion of the CM Meetup to be put on YouTube. That will be incredibly interesting.

The CM team does good work. Now that I have my Nexus, if it wasn't for Jelly Bean I'd be on CM9 RC1. CM did a good job of stopping the "feature creep" to focus on things like speed and stability instead.

It's too bad the OEM's and Google don't pay more attention to teams like CM, Gummy, AOKP, and all the others out there. Cyanogen, in that talk, gave all the OEM's a direct blueprint on how to make geeks like us buy a new phone once a year and they flat out ignore it. Not to mention he gave direct examples of what the OEMs and Google do which actually harms Android development.

The Android development community isn't just a pile of script kiddies who fork CM, change the build.prop and call it "the ub3r R0M", although by visiting XDA that's what it seems like nowadays. Many of the developers out there are very gifted and their ideas would benefit Android if only given a fair shake.

Indeed, I only recently became aware of the amount of reverse engineering and clean room design that goes into building CM on so many devices.

So many people take it for granted when a new uberphone comes out that they will be able to install an aftermarket AOSP ROM. and everything will work....

Indeed, I only recently became aware of the amount of reverse engineering and clean room design that goes into building CM on so many devices.

So many people take it for granted when a new uberphone comes out that they will be able to install an aftermarket AOSP ROM. and everything will work....

Yeah, the amount of work done, especially on the kernel side, is insane. The kiddies out there don't understand that and they just piss and moan when ub3r R0m isn't updated hourly. The sense of entitlement is incredible nowadays.

Right now I'm only starting to get into the code a little bit. I'd love to start contributing back to the community, but I just don't have the time right now although hopefully that will change.

I have much respect for all the teams out there that do AOSP ROM's but NONE of them would be where they are if it wasn't for CyanogenMod. I haven't seen an AOSP ROM that wasn't originally forked from CM. Hell, I can name three teams right now that do nothing BUT fork new CM stuff and modify it to fit their changes. It's so blatant at times when you run the ROM you still see Cid's face next to the "<insert team name> Settings" button...

Is there actually anyone else out there like these guys? I don't think there is, which is surprising.

Imagine if they got to the stage of creating a Cyanogen phone, sure it would sell bucketloads.

Is there actually anyone else out there like these guys? I don't think there is, which is surprising.

Imagine if they got to the stage of creating a Cyanogen phone, sure it would sell bucketloads.

Rumor is there was at least one OEM that went to CM to see if they could something done. It fell through apparently (if it actually happened).

As for other teams like them, there really aren't any because of the size of CM. The only one off the top of my head that sort of compares is AOKP. They have a pretty broad range of phones they support now, but nowhere near the number that CM supports and some of the phones feel like afterthoughts to me. There are other good teams, like Gummy, that support a small number of phones.

Rumor is there was at least one OEM that went to CM to see if they could something done. It fell through apparently (if it actually happened).

As for other teams like them, there really aren't any because of the size of CM. The only one off the top of my head that sort of compares is AOKP. They have a pretty broad range of phones they support now, but nowhere near the number that CM supports and some of the phones feel like afterthoughts to me. There are other good teams, like Gummy, that support a small number of phones.

Unfortunately for me, AOKP announced yesterday they were ceasing all development for a handful of older phones including my EVO4g. :(

Currently on MIUI v4 and quite pleased.

We have MIUI, AOKP, Gummy, and a few others, but by far the best development and hardware hacking takes place with developers who are aligned with cyanogenmod.... usually.... of course someone that develops an AOSP ROM for a phone may not choose to align themselves with cyanogenmod... byt usually, the best hackers do indeed usually go with cyanogenmod..

Myself, I personally will not buy a phone (again) unless it has good open source hardware development, or is a Nexus. With the Nexus S getting 4.1, I think my Vibrant is gonna last even longer than I had planned....

Unfortunately for me, AOKP announced yesterday they were ceasing all development for a handful of older phones including my EVO4g. :(

Currently on MIUI v4 and quite pleased.

Ice cream sandwich never ran that good on my incredible. The 2d acceleration drivers we have just suck. I am not surprised they are dropping the old snapdragon s1 phones. Cm7 runs way better on them anyway. I have a galaxy nexus now and the difference in how it runs pics is crazy. Even if you under clock all the way to 300 MHz it still relatively smooth. Its the adreno 200's crappy drivers and general oldness that kills it. My mom uses my incredible now cm7.2.

We have MIUI, AOKP, Gummy, and a few others, but by far the best development and hardware hacking takes place with developers who are aligned with cyanogenmod.... usually.... of course someone that develops an AOSP ROM for a phone may not choose to align themselves with cyanogenmod... byt usually, the best hackers do indeed usually go with cyanogenmod..

Myself, I personally will not buy a phone (again) unless it has good open source hardware development, or is a Nexus. With the Nexus S getting 4.1, I think my Vibrant is gonna last even longer than I had planned....

With you on that one. Recently got a Nexus and it was easily the best decision. The camera isn't as bad as most make out, and vanilla android remains the best interface out of them all.

Gone HTC Sensation > HTC One X > HTC Titan > Nexus in the past year or so, and sticking.

With you on that one. Recently got a Nexus and it was easily the best decision. The camera isn't as bad as most make out, and vanilla android remains the best interface out of them all.

Gone HTC Sensation > HTC One X > HTC Titan > Nexus in the past year or so, and sticking.

Yup, real Android (not Touchshit, Senseless, etc.) is a revelation after using it....

It seems that the only way a person will have their Android phone actually last 2 years on the latest version is to buy a Nexus, or somehow luck out and get a phone that is a carbon copy of a Nexus (like my Vibrant).

Yea, the Nexus One didn't last, because of a stupid space limitation, but it looks like the Nexus S will indeed make it to December running the latest version of Android. If Google can bring the Nexus S's update lifespan past December and into a 3rd year, they will go a long way to making the case that the ONLY android phones that people should buy are Nexus devices...

Yup, real Android (not Touchshit, Senseless, etc.) is a revelation after using it....

It seems that the only way a person will have their Android phone actually last 2 years on the latest version is to buy a Nexus, or somehow luck out and get a phone that is a carbon copy of a Nexus (like my Vibrant).

Yea, the Nexus One didn't last, because of a stupid space limitation, but it looks like the Nexus S will indeed make it to December running the latest version of Android. If Google can bring the Nexus S's update lifespan past December and into a 3rd year, they will go a long way to making the case that the ONLY android phones that people should buy are Nexus devices...

Agreed. At this point it's Go Nexus or go home. Jelly Bean is fucking awesome!

fastboot oem unlock FTW!

Flashed a buddies EVO 3D to ICS 4.0.3. Sense 3.6 is still a piece of worthless shit. I can't imagine 4.0 being any better. Touchwiz just blows since it's an iPhone wannabe like MIUI. I will say this though about Blur. My wife's RAZR just got its 4.0.4 update. Blur is barely even there. Motorola did it right. Enough change for differentiation, but nothing that breaks the bank. Blur isn't intrusive at all and that should make updating the RAZR's to Jelly Bean fairly easy. Hopefully, that's what really happens.

I can't imagine 4.0 being any better.

it isn't....

my girlfriend recently got a galaxy nexus on sprint. in the sprint store, the salespeople were pushing the evo LTE *hard* saying it had a next gen processor and better screen (both true), but holy hell, both of us almost gagged when trying to use the Sense 4.0 skin on the evo.

just an abomination..........

it isn't....

my girlfriend recently got a galaxy nexus on sprint. in the sprint store, the salespeople were pushing the evo LTE *hard* saying it had a next gen processor and better screen (both true), but holy hell, both of us almost gagged when trying to use the Sense 4.0 skin on the evo.

just an abomination..........

The EVO 4G LTE is a GREAT example of how a great device gets murdered by design blunders both hardware aesthetic and software. Srsly, it is the prototypical retard-frog-fish-squirrel mentioned on Southpark. Sense 4.0 was published half-finished/baked ...and whoever designed the casing needs shot. Such potential in that hardware, and HTC blew it. The alphabet soup name of the device basically says it all.

If they would've just stuck to vanilla ICS, they'd have been fine. But someone actually *believed* what they did and released was an improvement. This person is the Perfect Idiot.

Back