Indecisive on M.2 Nvme Pcie

pavel

Gawd
I can't decide on a SSD for my build - the motherboard will have pcie 4.0 x4 - but, should I bother getting a pcie 4.0 drive?

I am trying to budget the entire build - and the high performance pcie 4.0 are considerably more expensive? $50 more at least? Is that considered a lot more expensive? :)

Anyway, I still want to buy an 'expensive' case - and 64 GB RAM and it's gonna be tough to squeeze it in. $50 more might help?

Well, these are the SSDs - I am looking at.
* SN570
* SN770
* A2000

Which one should I pick? In terms of prices $$: A2000 < SN570 < 980 < 770

(Edit: All are 1tb - I assume I should get at least 1tb for an OS drive?)

I think, only the WD SN770 is pcie 4.0 (x4). The rest are PCIe 3.0. If there's any other options - I am not sure - I think there were some that looked good but were out of stock or had high import/delivery fees. So, I had to look at others.

the NVME drive always runs slower off the chipset rather than the cpu slot. I have 1tb firecuda 530 and a ADATA Gammix S70 Blade 2tb. My firecuda can get read speed of 7100mb/s in the cpu slot but if i used the 2nd slot down it maxes out at 6500mb/s read. Writes are a similar story. Same with the S70 blade. It can do 7400mb/s off the cpu on the chipset slot i get 6500 MB/s r 3200 w mb/s this is on a Gigabyte Aorus Master X570S latest bios installed with a 5950x

I'm using a 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD in my system. Although I have some space to spare, I am considering a 2 TB version of this SSD as my OS drive. Just to be comfortable with space available. It's not required, but it would be nice.
Once you have the OS, Work Applications, a few Steam Games, and MP3 collection on the drive, it fills up, Pavel.
My MP3 Library is at 176 GB... 2 or 3 Steam Games reach 75-100 GB each... Corel Draw! Graphics Suite is sizable enough... MS Office... Photos and other Media they all take space
I suspect a 1 Tb SSD would suffice for your needs, but 2 TB is better.
BlackDragon

Last edited:
Get a 980 Pro. If you are going to spring for an "expensive case" and 64GB of ram, get the best NVME drive for the system.

Get a 980 Pro. If you are going to spring for an "expensive case" and 64GB of ram, get the best NVME drive for the system.
Any thoughts on the Adata S70 Blade? It's pcie 4.0 x 4 and is supposedly as fast. It's cheaper, too. Also, the WD 850 is comparable and a bit cheaper. I hear your reasoning - just wondering if those drives should be considered, too?
The SN570 is pcie 3.0 and is the cheapest - but, also, has good reviews and speeds for what it is. I don't think I can spring for 2TB, though.

Isn't 2TB a bit much for an OS, guys? I guess we only have around 3 slots for M.2 and so we should get the highest capacity we can? I also want a 2nd M.2 SSD eventually for Linux (this first one I am buying will house Windows 10 Pro, probably). So, that will fill up 2 of the slots - for operating systems. That leaves one more (unless I get a board with 4) - for data - and thus, I'll get a 2TB (at least) then.
There's at least 4 to 6 SATA ports - which I'll get cheap SATA SSDs when I have extra $$ for it. I don't want nor should I need SATA HDDs. :)

Any thoughts on the Adata S70 Blade? It's pcie 4.0 x 4 and is supposedly as fast. It's cheaper, too. Also, the WD 850 is comparable and a bit cheaper. I hear your reasoning - just wondering if those drives should be considered, too?
The SN570 is pcie 3.0 and is the cheapest - but, also, has good reviews and speeds for what it is. I don't think I can spring for 2TB, though.

Isn't 2TB a bit much for an OS, guys? I guess we only have around 3 slots for M.2 and so we should get the highest capacity we can? I also want a 2nd M.2 SSD eventually for Linux (this first one I am buying will house Windows 10 Pro, probably). So, that will fill up 2 of the slots - for operating systems. That leaves one more (unless I get a board with 4) - for data - and thus, I'll get a 2TB (at least) then.
There's at least 4 to 6 SATA ports - which I'll get cheap SATA SSDs when I have extra $$ for it. I don't want nor should I need SATA HDDs. :)
I only have experience with the 980 Pro's and WD SN750's, I have a pair 1 TB 980 Pro's in my 5900X setup and a 1TB and 500GB SN750's in my 5800X setup.
Both setups are quite fast, so you'd probably be quite happy with Gen3 NVME's.

IMG_1564.JPEG

Reactions: pavel
like this
I only have experience with the 980 Pro's and WD SN750's, I have a pair 1 TB 980 Pro's in my 5900X setup and a 1TB and 500GB SN750's in my 5800X setup.
Both setups are quite fast, so you'd probably be quite happy with Gen3 NVME's.

View attachment 461251
Yeah, those are good drives! Holy smokes, you have a lot of nvme pcie ssds! :)

What are you doing with the computer? PCIe 4.0 rarely matters much in real life. If you're pushing around multi-gigabyte files read or written sequentially, you might notice.

I have PCIe 4.0 (Samsung 980 Pro), 3.0 (970 Pro), and SATA MX500 in the same box. About 99% of the time I'd be hard pressed to say which drive I'm working from.

What are you doing with the computer? PCIe 4.0 rarely matters much in real life. If you're pushing around multi-gigabyte files read or written sequentially, you might notice.

I have PCIe 4.0 (Samsung 980 Pro), 3.0 (970 Pro), and SATA MX500 in the same box. About 99% of the time I'd be hard pressed to say which drive I'm working from.
Eventually, I'll be video editing?
My choices - SN570 - cheapest - $20 more -> Samsung 980 ->$10 more -> ADATA S70 Blade -> $10 more SN750 ..... at this point .... another $30 more gets the Samsung 980 Pro or WD 850.

"video editing" covers a lot of ground. Short 1080p clips? hour long 4K raw videos?

If those are your only choices, I'd probably pick the ADATA unless you're doing very large/long clips. I'm assuming this isn't billable work. (If so, get the 980 Pro or WD 850.)

"video editing" covers a lot of ground. Short 1080p clips? hour long 4K raw videos?

If those are your only choices, I'd probably pick the ADATA unless you're doing very large/long clips. I'm assuming this isn't billable work. (If so, get the 980 Pro or WD 850.)
Not my only choices but I thought those were the best PCIe 4. (& PCIe 3) ones. We don't have the 970 Pro. The WD 970 Evo Plus is available but the price is pretty close to a 980 Pro.

Not my only choices but I thought those were the best PCIe 4. (& PCIe 3) ones. We don't have the 970 Pro. The WD 970 Evo Plus is available but the price is pretty close to a 980 Pro.
Samsung makes the 970 EVO Plus not WD.... and the 970 EVO Plus is good, while not being quite a Pro.... solid choice.

Samsung makes the 970 EVO Plus not WD.... and the 970 EVO Plus is good, while not being quite a Pro.... solid choice.
Oh, right. I was looking at the WD SN 750 - and got confused, I guess. Is the 970 EVO Plus worth getting over the SN 750 (and instead of waiting for the price of the ADATA S70 Blade to come down in price?)?

Oh, right. I was looking at the WD SN 750 - and got confused, I guess. Is the 970 EVO Plus worth getting over the SN 750 (and instead of waiting for the price of the ADATA S70 Blade to come down in price?)?
I have the 1 TB version of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus.... worth it and worth the size I got it in.
Funny, cause for NVMe m.2 SSDs... I recommend the Samsung 970 EVO Plus or the 970 & 980 Pro SSDs
for 2.5" SATA SSDs the sweet spot I find is the Western Digital Blue SSD with 3D NAND in a 1 TB flavour at least... they are good units for SATA
It's just the Parts Selection I build systems with based on my *Performance vs. Reliability vs. Price balance* I've found.... same as video cards I install EVGA units, because I like their build quality.
Spinning hard drives, I try to find HGST units refurbished... I like them still. Though some sellers are offering scalpers prices for HGST units.

Last edited:
I have the 1 TB version of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus.... worth it and worth the size I got it in.
Funny, cause for NVMe m.2 SSDs... I recommend the Samsung 970 EVO Plus or the 970 & 980 Pro SSDs
for 2.5" SATA SSDs the sweet spot I find is the Western Digital Blue SSD with 3D NAND in a 1 TB flavour at least... they are good units for SATA
It's just the Parts Selection I build systems with based on my *Performance vs. Reliability vs. Price balance* I've found.... same as video cards I install EVGA units, because I like their build quality.
Spinning hard drives, I try to find HGST units refurbished... I like them still. Though some sellers are offering scalpers prices for HGST units.
I'm considering the 970 Evo Plus - our 'local' store - sometimes price matches - and if they approve it, I can get it for $15 off. It's still expensive here - the big brand/model pcie3 x 4 drives are quite expensive. The Pro 890 is over $200 here (for e.g.).
I believe the ADATA 70S Blade gets pretty hot. Power consumption is okay at idle but a bit high on load. The Samsung is probably a better performer all around? The WD SN750 is an option, too - and $5 cheaper - I seem to recall that WD changed some internals though????? Controller or some internal chip? I can't remember exactly. I think there is a REV. 2.0 version - I don't know what this one is -maybe the original? I don't recall seeing a rev. 2 anywhere in the specs/info section. There's only 1 in stock though - and I am not sure if it's accurate. The WD store has them but I suspect there's a shipping charge.

Might want to look at the corsair MP600 also, I got mine a few years ago for a pretty reasonable price and it was one of the few gen 4 drives at the time. It has been completely problem free for me since late 2019.

Might want to look at the corsair MP600 also, I got mine a few years ago for a pretty reasonable price and it was one of the few gen 4 drives at the time. It has been completely problem free for me since late 2019.
Hey, I found a MP600 for a good price - the chain of stores here - they had one so I'm getting one transferred to the closest store so I can pick it up. I hope it's worth it! :) It's one of the cheapest 1TBs - the one I was looking at/considering is the WD SN570 - it's $15 cheaper - BUT, I believe it's DRAM-less - right?
Oh well, I can always change my mind but that wouldn't be nice. It's a good deal - a pcie 4.0 for less than all the other ones and it's still a decent drive. I think it has DRAM cache? The only concern is the huge heat sink it has - did you use yours or did you use the heat sink provided by the motherboard?

Hey, I found a MP600 for a good price - the chain of stores here - they had one so I'm getting one transferred to the closest store so I can pick it up. I hope it's worth it! :) It's one of the cheapest 1TBs - the one I was looking at/considering is the WD SN570 - it's $15 cheaper - BUT, I believe it's DRAM-less - right?
Oh well, I can always change my mind but that wouldn't be nice. It's a good deal - a pcie 4.0 for less than all the other ones and it's still a decent drive. I think it has DRAM cache? The only concern is the huge heat sink it has - did you use yours or did you use the heat sink provided by the motherboard?

Yeah the corsair has a dram cache, so that isnt an issue. As for the heatsink, it is completely easily removable, as I had to take mine off to fit my board.

Yeah the corsair has a dram cache, so that isnt an issue. As for the heatsink, it is completely easily removable, as I had to take mine off to fit my board.
So, it's a good choice? The SN 750 is $10 more. I was split between those two. :)

Back