Incredibly Strange Undeletable file

joecrouton

Limp Gawd
I have an odd problem here. I have this file that was installed on my external hard drive when i ran windows update with it plugged in. The file is updspapi.dll, and the description says "Windows Servicing Setup API". I cannot delete the file via any means. Windows gives 'Access is denied'. I tried deleting in a DOS boot disk, no deal. Win XP console cant delete it. I booted to a Knoppix live CD, linux could not access the file to delete it. I have tried everything I can think of. I can't currently reformat the drive, what other options do i have? Any insight appreciated...

I don't think you should delete it. In fact, after digging around, all I could find is information discussing reasons not to delete it. I would think, with it being a Windows file, you could just put it in your Windows folder and be done with it...

i did try safe mode, no go. I dl'ed UBCD but I cant figure out what util to use to try to delete it. there really is not reason the file needs to be there, it a portable hard drive, not the main drive.

i have tried unlocker, it claims the file isnt locked. I also tried using MoveOnBoot, to no avail.

Back