Incredibly slow WHS over gigabit?

you need a managed switch to use teaming!

I know this is an old comment, but you don't need a fully managed switch to do teaming. There are a lot of smart switches out there that support 802.3ad that aren't "managed". I've got a couple Netgear GS108T's and an HP Procurve 1800-24G that support teaming just fine.

I know this is an old comment, but you don't need a fully managed switch to do teaming. There are a lot of smart switches out there that support 802.3ad that aren't "managed". I've got a couple Netgear GS108T's and an HP Procurve 1800-24G that support teaming just fine.

It depends what type of teaming, for the most part you need a proper managed switch. Some of the new smart switches (kinda hybrid) should also be able to do most teaming functions.

Kevin did you ever try swapping out that drive?

Yes,

The WHS now contains 4 500 gig drives, and duplication is now turned on for all shares (just to update this thread).

The condition persists, and it seems to happen no matter which drive the 4 gig file is "landing" on. (Of course, you don't get to pick, but I can see which drive is experiencing the activity with the Add-In).

You know I realize you prob dont want to hear this, but you might just want to do a reinstall, and start over.

Sometimes shit just cant be fixed.

I just reinstalled my server using the Xfiles Edition from WGS. Pretty Slick

Yes, I went through all drivers and updated to latest...

As far as starting over, I already *HAVE* started over. This started on the 30 day trial, I'm now on the 120 day trial.

Other hardware in the network path.

Dlink DGL-4300 (not used in this case, I hang my 100 mbps devices off of this, but one port is connected to the following)

Dlink DGS-2208 (main computer is connected to this switch, one port is connected to the following)

Dlink DGS-2205 (only 2 devices hanging off of this switch, one is the WHS, the other happens to be a 100 mbps device that is in the same room)

Main computer is using onboard Realtek PCI-E gig Nic - driver 5.714.122.2009, dated 1/22/2009

WHS is using onboard Broadcom NetXtreme gig Nic - driver 11.7.2.0, dated 11/26/2008

-Kevin

Didn't this only happen when it was over the network file transfers? If so, did you try my suggestion of disabling IPv6? That did the trick for me.

Also, th DGL-4300 does not support jumbo frames if that is something that is important.

What version of the intel chipset / matrix drivers are you running?

I'll check tonight. On both client and server.

Didn't this only happen when it was over the network file transfers? If so, did you try my suggestion of disabling IPv6? That did the trick for me.

Also, th DGL-4300 does not support jumbo frames if that is something that is important.

I'll double check IPv6, but I think I recall finding that it was already off.

The DGL-4300 does support jumbo frames... Unfortunately, you can't access it's internal web page over a link that is set up to use jumbo frames, but other than that, it works fine. That being said, it shouldn't enter the picture here anyway, and furthermore, I don't have jumbo frames turned on.

-Kevin

The DGL-4300 does support jumbo frames... Unfortunately, you can't access it's internal web page over a link that is set up to use jumbo frames, but other than that, it works fine. That being said, it shouldn't enter the picture here anyway, and furthermore, I don't have jumbo frames turned on.

-Kevin

I found information that conflicts with that.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15857426
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1130839
http://www.vistax64.com/network-internet/158693-enabling-jumbo-frames-nics.html
http://www.synology.com/enu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4682

How can a person tell if Jumbo Frames are active on a network? I have a DGL-4300 myself.

Yes, you are correct.

I am probably confusing this router with my previous one. Sorry about that.

-Kevin

Kevin

Do you have a laptop or something that can be hooked up to the same switch as the WHS

What makes this hard is that there so many points for things to go wrong. If we could eliminate some of those we could drill down on the issue.

Know what I mean

On the other hand... Maybe that $20 would be better spent on some new intel gigabit pci-e nics?

Not if the nics aren't the problem

You have some many hops to the server to the dektop your gonna have to find the problem.

I don't use consumer switches but I wouldn't be surprised if those are makin it drag

My buddy was having a similar issue and I updated all the driver on his NIC's and it went away.

I seem to remember something about the DGS series switches downgrading to the lowest link speeds on certain switch revs. Try removing any 10/100 devices from the switches.

also one of the two machines he was using had an Intel NIC. It was when we updated that one, using drivers from the manufacturers website, that it went away.

Well, I got fed up with the whole testing thing and carried my WHS machine next to my desktop.

Tried all sorts of configurations.

It came down to this (with the machine in the same room, further testing to come)

I can pull files FROM the server at 35 to 40 MBps, I can put file ONTO the server at 10ish MBps.

-Kevin

Speaking of which, I'm right now pulling 830Mbit from my WHS box.

did you directly connect the two computers and test the speeds?

Yes, I tried:

1) Just a cable
2) Just the 8 port switch (nothing else connected to it)
3) The switch with all other normal devices connected, except for the router
4) Including the router

In all cases there were effectively no differences.

Once I put the server back in the other room (but still not using the second switch), I noticed a slight drop, but that could have been due to the fact that the WHS was still starting up and was busy doing some other things...

As far as a shitty cable goes... The first one I tried *was* shitty...but it's in the trash now. The second one was what I reported...but it was a nice new cat6 cable, so I don't think I can blame it on that. How does one account for the difference depending upon the direction the data is flowing?

-Kevin

Ockie,

Wow, nice, good for you!

That doesn't change a damn thing for me, though... I was hoping that showing that image to my WHS would make it feel bad and pep it right up...it didn't work.

Well, I finally had a good reason to try a new nic card... The onboard Realtek on my main computer's motherboard went south...I also couldn't get any nic card (wired or wireless) to work in a PCI slot. (somehow the onboard one was interfering). I was ready to RMA the motherboard, but figured I'd try a PCIe slot.

I grabbed two of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140317184997

One for the main machine, one for the WHS.

Fortunately, this got the main computer back on the network.

Even better...my transfers between this machine and the WHS now sustain 45meg. No fall-offs, no slowdowns...it just works.

So, yeah, shitty on-board nic was the problem all along (although I can't tell if it was the one in the main computer or the server, and I doubt I'll bother to try to figure it out!)

-Kevin

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back