In the planning phase of my Centurion 5 mod and would like some advice.

IveBeenBad

[H]F Junkie
I am currently using a Rocketfish tower (Lian-Li re-badge) that is too massive and too loud for my liking so I have decided to mod the Centurion 5 it replaced to overcome it's only shortfall (for me anyways) and that is cooling.

Stock cooling on the Centurion is an 80mm intake fan located in front of the hard drive bays (1800rpm, 22.8cfm, 22dBA) and a 120mm exhaust fan located under the power supply and behind where my mobo places the CPU (this fan is 1200RPM, 44CFM, 19.8dBA). To further put this in perspective, I am currently running an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU, ABIT IP35, E2160 @ 3.0GHz, Radeon 3870, 320GB 7200.11, 4GB RAM and one optical.

For practicallity, the front intake should remain 80mm or you give up HD bays. My plan is as follows. Replace the 80mm intake with a Nexus Real Silent 80mm (20.2CFM, 17.6dBA), put a Scythe Flex SFF21F (63.7CFM, 28.0dBA) in the extra 5.25" bays I have, and then replace the rear intake and add a blowhole at the top of the case which would both be occupied by the Scythe SFF21E (49.0CFM, 20.1 dBA).

This should give the case a slightly negative pressure and is fairly close to neutral (83.9CFM in, 98.0CFM out). Should this provide good cooling at a decent sound level? What changes would you possibly make concerning layout or even my selection of fans? I would love to find something as high output and quiet as the Scythe fans that didnt cost the $15/ea the Scythe fans are going for!

I appreciate any and all advice and look forward to any ideas you may have!

Back