In need for HS for Barton 2800 OCed to 3200

MajinWu

Gawd
Currently I'm using a CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite on a Barton2500+ OCed to a 3200+ (200 fsb x 11 multiplier). Mobo is an Epox 8RDA+ rev 2.1, case is an Antec Sonata with 1 rear 120mm fan, PSU is an Antec True Power 380W. Idle temp is around 42 and load is around 48 when the fan is on max setting (about 3668 rpm). Vcore is about 1.71V.

Basically I need a better air cooling system so I can OC further. So far my research has led me to want to get either a Thermalright SLK800u, 900u, or 947u. As for fan I would use my old 80mm Thermaltake Smartfan2.

Can someone recommend some more options? Maybe a HS system that is a better value but still having great performance. Thanks.

Thermalright 900A for value.
Thermalright SP-97 if you want the best.

In addition to thermaltake...panalflo's are also good fans.

Zalman CNPS 7000A-AlCu you can find it for about 30 bux and it's suppose to be just as good as a slk-900 + vantec tornado

i'm not even sure if that's going to even fit! My current heatsink (aero 7 lite) is just about an inch and a half away from the PSU, and I dont think the Zalman has enough clearance...

would Thermalright SK-7 be far behind a 900? I can't find any review site that tests the SK-7 on a Barton

Just get the sp94 and call it a day ;)

Actually the sk7 and the 900 are pretty close in performance ... I would say that the 900 is a tiny bit better

hell, combine either of them with a tt variable speed fan and you are set ...

i run my 2500 barton @ 3200 with stock heatsink... seems to run smooth for as long as i oced it... but ihave very good ventilation for my case.... my case temp is around 19c-25c and cpu runs at 48c full load... and thats with the side closed in case you re wondering...

Originally posted by yusoweird
i run my 2500 barton @ 3200 with stock heatsink... seems to run smooth for as long as i oced it... but ihave very good ventilation for my case.... my case temp is around 19c-25c and cpu runs at 48c full load... and thats with the side closed in case you re wondering...

:eek:

Originally posted by yusoweird

what is this "stock heatsink" you speak off ?
(j/p)

Get something to cool it down man ! that temp is a bit high...

thanks for all your help guys. I decided to just go with a Thermalright SP97. Figured if im going to OC my system I might as well pay the premium for the long run

Originally posted by MajinWu
I decided to just go with a Thermalright SP97.
good decision!! and ur putting a ThermalTake SmartFan II on it right?

yup. it's old, but i think it can do a decent job if i have it at around 3000 rpm

how the hell is 48 deg on a stock hsf overclocked at load a bit high o_O my volcano keep my machine at 45 full load with the overclock below (1.75 volts)?

If you're not hitting over 55 deg C then you should be able to push it a bit higher... what temps do you get now?

I've never seen the point in spending almost the same price as the cpu on a hs... but then im going to water cool, so i guess thats more :) i just want sweet sweet silence :>

I only spent $55 shipped for the sp97... you can get a high-end AMD processor for $55??

Originally posted by Etacovda
I've never seen the point in spending almost the same price as the cpu on a hs... but then im going to water cool, so i guess thats more :) i just want sweet sweet silence :>

What would you say to people who spend $1200 on CPU cooling ;) :rolleyes::eek:

Id say people that want to push their cpus 25% faster on vapochill etc just do it for wank factor and saying 'LOOK I HAVE CASH!' :)

Here in nz, the slk-900 is around 115NZD (0.5x for the US, roughly ie 55ish)

and a barton 2500+ is about $150NZD... id rather spend $50 and get a volcano 12 or something similar, for very similar results... normally, its not heat that stops bartons that much really (in saying that, ive had my barton up to 2500mhz on a cold day... however, 150mhz isnt worth the extra $60)

just my 2c, of course ;) but id rather throw the money towards some better ram and get some really bang for buck, with a performance that i can actually notice :)

Back