In a dilemma

Quiz

Gawd
I built the following desktop PC for my brother and wanted to give it to him as a gift.

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 with 2 x Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+
SSD: Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 3 TB
Power supply: Corsair AX760
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D High Airflow

Turns out he doesn't really want it because he is not into gaming (at least by himself). He prefers to watch play-throughs. He currently only has a Surface (I think a Surface 3 Pro). He is fine with it.

So now I have an issue. I currently use the desktop PC in my sig and I am perfectly fine with it. I tried selling this new PC I built (put the ad up last Friday) but haven't gotten any response yet. The PC is not exactly cheap so it might take some time to sell it.

Then I thought about selling my current PC (the one in my sig) and using the new PC. This lead to some questions:

1. Will I regret going from a 3930K (6-score) to a 6700K (4-core)? Gaming is the most intensive thing I do right now.

2. The new PC has a 980 Ti FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+ and my current PC has a 980 Ti Classified. Since the new PC's case is smaller (Corsair 450D), I am not sure if it will support my Classified. I wanted to move the Classified from my PC to the new PC and install the FTW GAMING into my old PC before selling it. Right now, the PCIe power cables are pretty much almost touching the side panel window with the FTW installed. Since the Classified is taller, will this work? Maybe I should just try it out.

3. Since the 6700K only has 16 PCIe lanes, will I get x8/x4/x4 with one graphics card installed, one PCIe NVMe SSD installed, and my Titanium HD sound card installed?

Here is a pic of the new PC:

82lb8JB.jpg

Last edited:
1) Yes for future games.
2) Try it
3) N/A
4) Against the rules as per rules 16 and 26 of the [H]Forum Rules. Might want to edit that question out.

Well the x79 motherboards are really a premium now, so there is that. Can you return any of the parts you purchased? Also how into gaming are you, as you could always go sli 980ti's, maybe a sweet 4k machine. Worst case you could probably recover some of your cost if you are willing to part out the components.

Got two inquiries yesterday for the PC. Let's see how this turns out.

Sold the PC today. A guy came over, checked it out, and paid cash. However, he didn't want the GTX 980 Ti in it as he is getting a GTX 1080. He paid AED 4,000 which is about $1,090. Now I gotta sell the GTX 980 Ti.

Someone just offered $545. Says he will let me know today later in the afternoon if he can do it. I informed the first guy who offered $490 if he can wait till this guy responds and he said sure.

I imagine you paid more than that for it? Put it in your current machine for SLI, doubt you'll regret it.

Yeah, I paid more than that but I'm really not interested in SLI after hearing all the issues and whatnot that come with it (i.e. game support, stuttering, scaling, etc.).

Last edited:
Back