I'm thinking of going A64, help convince me to switch...

SarCastro

Weaksauce
Well, my current rig has about run its course. I've got a P4 1.6A that used to be clocked at 2.66 GHz, but over the last year has been overheating and I've had to scale it back to its original speed. I think it'll be fine as a server soon enough.

But enough about my old one, I'm contemplating my new one. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a Northwood/865 combo, or an A64. I don't want to have to spend a lot of $$ on it. I'm not looking at overclocking, I want something that's fast and runs quiet.

I hear that there isn't much of a slowdown with DDR333 mem and A64s, is that true? (cause I've got 1Gig of it, and would rather not spend the extra $$ for a percent or two increase) Do all A64 procs support Cool'n'Quiet? Which motherboards support that feature? I'm a little leary of going with VIA (had a KT133 motherboard and it was nothing but trouble). What's the situation with them? Have any A64 owners had stability problems? How long will the socket be around for? Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks in advance...

Not trying to start a fan-boy war, but the replies in the Intel forum are recommending the A64. Hmm... :D I guess my big question is which motherboards support Quiet'N'Cool?

asus k8v deluxe
epox EP-8HDA3+ (according to approved AMD boards list - epox's site doesn't mention it)
all biostar socket 754 products

even w/o cool'in'quiet, my 3000+ runs at 27Cidle/38Cload on stock hsf and as5

a64 shoud be selling itself! not much convincing needed.

Back