I'm in need of a 5.1 analog soundcard recommendation....

geminox

Limp Gawd
But first, please do not flame me....

I'm receiving Speedlink's Medusa 5.1 Headphones tomorrow http://www.medusa-usa.com/headphones-medusa-51-c-191_193.html and I am in a desperate need for a 5.1 soundcard solution, since I am currently using onboard sound.

Here are my lame computer specs....

Pentium D 830 Dual Core 3.0GHz
(x4) Corsair XMS2 512MB DDR2 800MHz PC2 6400
ASUS P5WD2 Premium Intel 955X Chipset
ASUS EN7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI-e
ASUS Black IDE DVD+-RW 16X w/DL
ASUS VENTO 3600 Case
ANTEC 500W Power Supply
WD Caviar 200GB 7200rpm HDD
Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse + SteelPad 4S Solo

Just looking for simple suggestions for an analog 5.1 solution, I'm ready to buy an X-Fi card BUT it is a 7.1 card. I'm an audionub, so please correct me if I am wrong for thinking that it is unwise for me to want to buy a 5.1 card than a 7.1 cause I'm thinking that it will not work. Thank you in advance :)

-Justin

an X-fi will work fine. There are different modes for 5.1 and 7.1.. a 7.1 card dosent even have anymore/less jacks then a 5.1 card, it's just aware of extra speakers in a 7.1 setup.

My recomendation.. cheap begets cheap. no sense in powering trash like 5.1 cans with a good source.. get a cheap Audigy 2.. which is still probably overkill, but cheapest readily availible gaming card. If you plan to buy some real headphones in the future you might pick up an x-fi. It's a shame for an extra 20 bucks you coulda had a real can like HD580.

Regards,
Mike

ok, so the man wants 5.1 headphones. just stick w/ an a2zs, it'll keep you happy. or you could go the better route: get a nice pair of stereo headphones and xfi and run cms headphone mode

A small update...

But first, thank you for all the suggestions and comments :) I understand that most or all of the readers of this post who have or haven't replied are probably disappointed at my choice of cans for use. I'm a little bit disappointed myself since I have been using them along with my on-board sound and it hasn't lived up to the hype of everyone's positive reviews.

On the otherhand, I am currently installing the software for my X-Fi Xtrememusic that I have just received this morning :) I've decided that if I disapprove of my headset after hooking it up to the X-Fi, I'm gonna throw it into the For Sale and Trade forum to get some cash to buy a real set of cans :D Thanks again for the suggestions, much appreciated from someone who knows nothing of the audiophile world :D

-Justin

Back