I'm Afraid To Die In Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you have a hang-up like this, you should probably get a different hobby.

When you die in a game, no one is there to tell you how your work could be better. You’ve simply failed. People tell me you learn the rules of games like Bloodborne. Articles promise me the game itself will teach me how to improve, but I don’t believe them. Every failure brings me no lessons -- just shame and humiliation. Ridicule from other fans, even when I succeed.

A good example of why much of gaming has gone down the shitter in the last 15 years. Nobody wants a challenge anymore, they want their hand held and a cookie given for every little victory.

Dying has been a major factor in just about every single video game ever.

He REALLY needs to get over it

Every failure brings me no lessons -- just shame and humiliation.

"The internet told me that I would learn something, but I didn't... WTF internet?!"

and... who's fault is this....???

I think there's a deeper issue here than just game playing.

It sounds like the person who wrote that suffers from a really severe anxiety disorder and possibly some depression issues as well (the two tend to go hand in hand a lot of the time.)

Beyond a game, that person needs professional help, and I mean it in the kindest, most genuine way.

I suggest talking to a therapist, dreading your character dying in video games could be a sign of the inability to separate reality from fiction.

This person needs to MTFU. Wait til he learns that death in real life is worse.

This article was not about games at all. It was about this guy being a puss. It was nothing more than an example of his failures.

He wants to live in a world where everyone takes home a trophy.
In the real world that only happens if you win.

I got a C in math, received punishment and disparaging remarks. I brought my grades up, and received praise. The world is relatively simple. Failure is a simple fact, everyone fails. You just have to try until you make at least the middle of the road in the required areas, and look around constantly to try to find things you can excel at.

Beyond a game, that person needs professional help, and I mean it in the kindest, most genuine way.

Yup, in a nutshell. Could be a physiological issue, or something which seems to get overlooked a lot, a chemical imbalance within the brain. The latter is a physical impairment which requires "good" professional help to diagnose and treat.

Yikes!

I don't really know how to respond to this other than get a new hobby, or pick your games better. There's no dying in Tetris, so play that I guess? (nothing against Tetris either, as I still play it)

This either describes mental disorder as mentioned above, or maybe this sort of game really is just too stressful for this person. In this case, she really needs to use her brain and pick something that suits her interests and play styles. I'm really tired of people thinking (and saying) that artists need to change their art to cater to them. It's ridiculous. Go find a different game, a different artist, etc. that's more in line with how you think. Leave everyone else alone. People are entitled to their opinions, and can write about them if they want, but this just screams find a new game or hobby. Why would someone with this type of anxiety play Bloodborne?!?!??!?!?!?!?

I find Alien Isolation to be stressful, and only play it a couple of hours at a time, but I'm not going to cry to the devs and tell them to go easy on me. The stress is part of what pulls you into the game. It MAKES you want to hide, sneak, etc.

:D (would be funny to see this person try to play Alien Isolation actually...)

chances make champions, if your too scared to try then your never gonna succeed.

This is the part that gets me: "Every failure brings me no lessons -- just shame and humiliation. Ridicule from other fans, even when I succeed."

What shame and humiliation is he experiencing from dying? Isn't Bloodborne a single player game? How do other fans of the game know when he does anything?

I'm guessing no-one bothered to read the whole article, which is not to say that it was particularly good or even cohesive. It's not just about dying in games, it's about anxiety and the pressure to perform, sprinkled with some references to a friend that died and how her dad was hard on her.

It's just a meandering article that isn't very good with a title that doesn't work for the actuial subject matter. ;)

Hmmm... Maybe the author should also try playing Paranoia/Psychosis on the PCEngine/TG16. You get taunted and flipped off by a creepy little alien guy as you go or when you fail. :D

I'm guessing no-one bothered to read the whole article, which is not to say that it was particularly good or even cohesive. It's not just about dying in games, it's about anxiety and the pressure to perform, sprinkled with some references to a friend that died and how her dad was hard on her.

It's just a meandering article that isn't very good with a title that doesn't work for the actuial subject matter. ;)

Yeah, I actually couldn't bring myself to keep reading it. I did try though... Now I feel shamed and humiliated that I couldn't get all the way through it. And I really wish you'd let up a little!!!

:p

I bet this is the stuff SJWs think about when they run out of noble causes to defend.

^ Correct.

Going deep into her twitter reveals she's all about GamerGate and retweeted quite a couple of articles from VICE FemiNazi's talking about how the patriarchy is bringing them down.

Yeah, I actually couldn't bring myself to keep reading it. I did try though... Now I feel shamed and humiliated that I couldn't get all the way through it. And I really wish you'd let up a little!!!

Your inability to complete the article demonstrates conclusively that you are obviously a total failure and incapable of achieving anything that would warrant even the slightest merit in this sad exercise of futility that is life, the universe, and everything. /s

Gita Jackson (xoxogossipgita) is a critic and gallerist living in Chicago. She writes a column on fashion in videogames for Paste Magazine and is co-founder of HUME, an alternative arts space.

This lady has no business doing anything in the gaming industry. She has some pretty serious mental issues going on there and frankly needs to seek help. She is also a case example of everything that is wrong in gaming journalism.

This lady has no business doing anything in the gaming industry. She has some pretty serious mental issues going on there and frankly needs to seek help. She is also a case example of everything that is wrong in gaming journalism.

Careful now, we just started lowering the gate on "Gamergate".

The author of this piece speaks of death in a game as an absolute that teaches you nothing while also saying:
My first year of college was a mess, academically... When I went home for winter term, I was almost ashamed. Did I deserve to be in college, if I was getting Bs? Did I deserve to be in college and doing poorly, when Matt wasn’t even alive, wouldn’t have the chance to even try?

...Two years later, I got an A+ in a class. It was the hardest thing I had ever done, to accept my past failures as part of a journey to become a better academic, a better person.
What is so hard about accepting that this process of learning and bettering yourself can be applied to all things in life, including video games? Just because the fail state in video games is often death doesn't mean you can't learn from it. She mentions Bloodborne, which, in my opinion, games like it are the ultimate lesson plan in learning from your mistakes when it applies to gameplay mechanics.

The things she describes as being traumatizing from her childhood (disappointment from your parents, ridicule, death of those close to you) are things that everyone has to cope with at one point or another. It's part of being human. Stop blaming yourself and others; learn from your experiences and move on.

I agree that this person must have some deeper psychological issues going on, here.

Just don't start playing Dark Souls or Bloodborne then I guess.
Except she said that she was afraid to die in Wind Waker, of all games. This was a gem:
Last night, my sim in The Sims 4 failed to put out a fire and burned to death. It makes me wonder, should I even be playing these games, if I can’t even keep myself from dying?
Maybe she is also afraid of using colons? :cool:

First, I got a chuckle from all the folks that referred to the author as "he."
Second, I was impressed by her ability to write and communicate her feelings. This is something that is lacking in 100% of the 'gaming' sites out there.
Finally, she obviously had a pretty screwed up childhood but, she seems to be aware of and trying to work on her issues. That puts her leagues ahead of the average gamer. :D

Second, I was impressed by her ability to write and communicate her feelings. This is something that is lacking in 100% of the 'gaming' sites out there.
Finally, she obviously had a pretty screwed up childhood but, she seems to be aware of and trying to work on her issues. That puts her leagues ahead of the average gamer. :D

You apparently didn't read it very well then. She clearly isn't aware of her issues. I can communicate my feelings as well, doesn't mean I have any business writing about source material I obviously have an agenda against.

Contrary to your opinion, I think she's a screwball who literally is nuts. Dying in video games to "my dad scolded me cauz i got a c"

IKR? Further proof of the systemic patriarchy and misogynist nerd culture in gaming and tech.

:rolleyes:

No, just lazy asses who can't be bothered to read more than a paragraph of text without, SQUIRREL!...

Finally, she obviously had a pretty screwed up childhood...

Nothing she outlined even gets close to what I would consider a traumatic and life altering experience. She sounds like someone who is a lifelong victim in her own eyes.

If you equate death and loss in a video game with your life you have a serious mental issue.
Get Help....

Contrary to your opinion, I think she's a screwball who literally is nuts. Dying in video games to "my dad scolded me cauz i got a c"

She's communicating feelings. She's not writing a review, manual or, making an argument about changing the gaming world. She's telling you how she felt as a child. I can see how gamers automatically disconnect because they typically don't deal well with their own or others feelings. I think she does indeed have issues, I'm just applauding her for being able to clearly write and communicate them.

I wish I could remember which game it was, but it was some kind of horror game and I was using a surround sound headset playing in the dark in an empty house and it got to the point I was so nervous I had to stop.

The game designer was brilliant in limiting my vision with a flashlight and random strobing lights and prehistoric monster like surrounds swooshing by corridors behind me and alongside me and what not. About shit myself it was so good, and the way the game was setup I recall that being killed would have set me WAY back so that adds to the nervousness giving your life value.

She's communicating feelings. She's not writing a review, manual or, making an argument about changing the gaming world. She's telling you how she felt as a child. I can see how gamers automatically disconnect because they typically don't deal well with their own or others feelings. I think she does indeed have issues, I'm just applauding her for being able to clearly write and communicate them.

People frequently mistake someone expressing thoughts as someone seeking solutions from the outside and can't help but want to "solve" the problem in their own minds to get a sense of closure even if none was necessary to being with. I think that's what you'll find in this thread once you get beyond the balking and posturing, people not understanding the article was written for its own sake and not to highlight something wrong with how things are or try to correct an injustice. Given the topic is kinda touchy with lots of people, jumping to conclusions and getting defensive/aggressive about it is sort of understandable though.

The only constructive thing I could take out of this is that when you die in a video game it doesn't really teach you anything about why you failed. Just try again you failure of a person!

Would be nice if you failed the game would progress in an altered state..

People frequently mistake someone expressing thoughts as someone seeking solutions from the outside and can't help but want to "solve" the problem in their own minds to get a sense of closure even if none was necessary to being with. I think that's what you'll find in this thread once you get beyond the balking and posturing, people not understanding the article was written for its own sake and not to highlight something wrong with how things are or try to correct an injustice. Given the topic is kinda touchy with lots of people, jumping to conclusions and getting defensive/aggressive about it is sort of understandable though.

You're absolutely correct! As a cultural anthropologist hobbyist, I am interested in how the gamer stereotype holds true.

What's puzzling, is that if this is such an unpleasant, unrewarding, experience that has nothing to teach (if it even should teach in the first place) for her, then why keep doing it to herself? That is the main thing that I take issue with. If she's feeling humiliated and shamed, is drawing some form of parallel to an unpleasant life experience, then why keep doing it?

Furthermore, why such extreme examples? If she's already having trouble with dying in Wind Waker (or thinking about the memory of playing Wind Waker) then why move onto to something that would border on torture for someone with this state of mind like Bloodborne? When I say, find another game or get a new hobby, it isn't posturing, or saying she's worthless, or making myself feel better (though I did make light of it to a degree as I always do with anything) it's an honest sentiment. Find something that's suited to your own state of mind or personal preference. If these games are too hard or make you feel bad, there must be plenty that don't. Play puzzle games. Play certain platform games. Play some RPGs that don't involve combat and death. (Harvest Moon maybe?) There are tons of games out there that have nothing to do with dying. Why do this to one's self if there isn't some underlying possibly masochistic tendency making one come back for more?

It's somewhat confusing.

Back