Illinois, what have you done...

Stiler said:
Who the hell's right is it to regulate what MY kid can and can't see/hear???

That's pure communist bullshit on a stick.
Your correct, However, No one is banning you from buying the game for your kid, in the same way no one is banning you for buying a beer for your kid, buying smokes, or letting your kid drive your car. This law is only banning the KID From buying the game, much like the age limits for the above examples.

This law puts the responsibility back on the parent or whoever buys the game. This makes it much harder for a parent to go "Well its not my fault".

Banko said:
I never got censored and I turned out fine, I remember playing Wolfenstein 3d when I was 5, and Doom. Then games like Duke 3D at 8.
Exactly. My thinking is that if a game causes you to go crazy, then you were already screwed up. Games can be triggers, but i doubt a game can cause you to go crazy.

And d34dly, i really dont care about my spelling :D

bonkrowave said:
The way people are parenting now adays .... the government needs to step in.

A rating system is a soltuion to a non existent problem. The rating system was implemented to satisfy the bleeding heart parents who claim video games were corrupting there kids, when in reality it was there poor parenting.

no it's about parents who are concerned for their kids but don't want to be forced to shelter them in their homes for protection against things that they view a unsafe for their kids.

Rombus said:
This law puts the responsibility back on the parent or whoever buys the game. This makes it much harder for a parent to go "Well its not my fault".

You said what I think. To me, this is similar to the laws that hold the parent accountable if the kid does something criminal. You have to have permits for guns and cars and to sell fruit on the side of the road, but when it comes to something that matters, the only requirement is a set of working genitals. I keep writing my congressmen about Enforced Eugenics, but so far no response.

Wondernerd said:
You said what I think. To me, this is similar to the laws that hold the parent accountable if the kid does something criminal. You have to have permits for guns and cars and to sell fruit on the side of the road, but when it comes to something that matters, the only requirement is a set of working genitals. I keep writing my congressmen about Enforced Eugenics, but so far no response.
QFT.

I keep advocating licenses to breed and leash laws for humans (after all, if it is good enough for an animal, then it is good enough for us, right?), and, so far, I have gotten three responses:

1) You're a monster! How could you?
2) Huh?
3) I can recommend a doctor to help with that anti-social attitude, if you would like...

Ahhh, well... :D

Rombus said:
Your correct, However, No one is banning you from buying the game for your kid, in the same way no one is banning you for buying a beer for your kid, buying smokes, or letting your kid drive your car. This law is only banning the KID From buying the game, much like the age limits for the above examples.

This is the sanest post in a really fucking stupid debate. G(L)amer debates on real world issues are HILARIOUS. The only problem I have with this is that the legislature has better things to spend their time and money on, so the libertarian says boo. However, it really isn't any different than the alcohol laws, and consistency is fine by me. If you have a problem with the rating system itself, then take it up with the ESRB, not the Illinois legislators.

bonkrowave said:
And I thought propaganda went out with the jerry curl.

Guess I was wrong.

You haven't watched Faux .. uh FoxNews much in the past five years or so, have you? Propaganda is alive and well.

S1nF1xx said:
It really isn't all that big of a deal. Just because a kid can't buy an M rated game, doesn't mean his parents won't buy it for him. Most kids have their parents buy their games anyway.

It's actually kind of good news that they have to pass a law to ban sales of M rated games to minors, rather than just enacting city ordinance, or store policy. Do you realize there aren't any laws saying a 14 year old can't see an R rated movie? It's either city ordinance or just movie theater policy. They choose to enforce it, video game retailers don't.

The law will be struck down as unconstitutinal anyway. Every other one has been. Fret not young one. ;)

If your 14 and haven't seen a rated-R movie you MUST have skipped straight to XXX. :D

Why is he offended for being carded? I take it as a compliment.
I wonder what markup minors will pay for those games?

Back