ILLEGAL to sell regular lightbulbs after August 1st

If they wanted to make people cranky this is the way to do it. Every box of led bulbs I bought had equal results even tried Edison led bulbs no go.

My big complaint is these new bulbs cost 3x or more than an old bulb. Sure, they supposedly last forever, but they dont. I changed like for led bulbs today.

Today<forever.

I have some can lights and the LEDs have definitely lasted less than the old school bulbs...pretty telling when I replaced some old school cans with LEDs and they are dead before the rest of the old cans.

I think there are indeed use-cases for incandescent lights, but for the sake of conserving the energy we use, it's ideal to use LEDs. A quality LED is not exactly that bad, and really can make up the majority of your light, considering that the sun exists in the sky, and provides us with light. There is no absolute true need for "electric lighting," to such a degree that we should waste tons of energy using incandescent lightbulbs, when an LED will usually do the job just fine.

Of course, there are certainly some places where you might require incandescence, such as when you need a heat lamp, or even to set a mood in your bedroom. That true, warming infra-to-red-to-yellow sort of authentic heated-wire color is sometimes just incredible, like a glowing ember, and really does deliver a certain ambience that LEDs can only imitate. But in that case, perhaps you just need to purchase some larger, light-bringing candles or torches, so you don't have to fake true fire using a mere wire.

I think there are indeed use-cases for incandescent lights, but for the sake of conserving the energy we use, it's ideal to use LEDs. A quality LED is not exactly that bad, and really can make up the majority of your light, considering that the sun exists in the sky, and provides us with light. There is no absolute true need for "electric lighting," to such a degree that we should waste tons of energy using incandescent lightbulbs, when an LED will usually do the job just fine.

Of course, there are certainly some places where you might require incandescence, such as when you need a heat lamp, or even to set a mood in your bedroom. That true, warming infra-to-red-to-yellow sort of authentic heated-wire color is sometimes just incredible, like a glowing ember, and really does deliver a certain ambience that LEDs can only imitate. But in that case, perhaps you just need to purchase some larger, light-bringing candles or torches, so you don't have to fake true fire using a mere wire.
Stop being reasonable, this is a forum of EXTREMES. THE GOVERNMENT IS STEALING OUR LIGHTBULB FREEDOM. GET OUT THE GUILLOTINE.

We switched the house to LEDs several years ago. I think I've had to replace one of them since. Regular bulbs on the other hand I had to replace constantly. Altho, I've got a giant florescent bulb (no idea what size or wattage it is)on the back of the house that comes on automatically. It's at least 17 years old. Hopefully there will be replacements for it when it finally kicks the bucket.

I have a box of 60w-100w 'floodlight' type bulbs from my parents place when I swapped them all out for cfls years ago to save power. Don't know how to ship these without them getting destroyed today since a drop would probably break the filament.

Fun fact, there's an 'edison' style bulb that's been on for over 100yrs somewhere in CA at a fire station. These bulbs used a different filament than the 'bulb cartel' that has made the standard bulb burn out in 1500hrs. If we would have had these bulbs, no one probably would have invented cfl or led bulbs--or at least the government wouldn't have made mandates based on them to force adoptions.

And I've had my fair share of those cheap chinese chunk led bulbs too. It's hard to find anything quality anymore.

Buy better LEDs, not the cheap crap.

It's pretty hard to do. If you buy the same model, same UPC bulbs 12 months later, they're going to be different. Hopefully better, sometimes worse, definitely different. If you bulk buy and they're bad, you can't get a refund for the whole lot when you start seeing them start to fail early.

For the most part, I just get dimmable warm-white bulbs from Costco and hope they'll be consistent over time. There's been some transitions, so sometimes I need to replace a whole room worth of cans when one fails because inconsistent startup delay or color is terrible. Edison style bulbs are hit and miss, and Costco doesn't carry much in the way of specialty bulbs, so I just hope for the best.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...tbulbs-now-starting-august-1-theyre-outlawed/

I got a lifetime supply maybe 120 of them I bought 60 43 watts extra off eBay two months back. Not sure if Ebay will restrict them or not. I can't stand led bulbs my eyes will be in pain can't focus. Just a bad usage scenario they are ok for Flashlights.

why on Earth would you buy incandescent bulbs in bulk?...it's been known for years now that they were being phased out...LED bulbs last longer...I doubt you would be able to tell the difference so any issues with the light is just a placebo

Cree LED bulbs are the best

I don't know ... I replaced a number of bulbs here at the house with LEDs in 2019~ and all of them are working fine /touchwood... They are cool to the touch and use way less power.. I am ok with them... I don't remember what brand they are but I got them at Home Depot and they have been fine last 4~yrs.

I like led bulbs better. Most last longer and are more efficient. But I do believe that the choice to manufacture and buy them should still be there. Most of my bulbs have been 'free' packs from my electric company.

The fun part is now more people will learn about how badly a lot of cheap LED bulbs interfere with garage door openers when installed in them instead of incandescent or in some cases on the same circuit as it.

Dimmable LEDs is where I can't get them to last more than a year. In my kitchen table fixture (5 bulbs) the original incandescent bulbs lasted for about 6 years.I put some Amazon Basics LED bulbs in there, and they burned out one by one over the course of 3 months. So I figured I'd buy more expensive GE Relax dimmable bulbs. I'm on month 6 with them, and so far 2 out of 5 have burned out.

Another thing is smart switches. I setup a Home Assistant server, and I went through 5 different smart switches before I found one brand that would finally work with LED bulbs without flickering to the point of almost having a seizure. I even added extra capacitance with the bulb sockets.

IMO, they're complete garbage compared to incandescent. They claim to save power, but the inverter in them runs so hot you can't even touch the base of the bulb if you remove them hot. I'll have to do a real world power draw test to see what they actually use, because it is nowhere near the several watts claimed. It has to be at least 20-30 watts in heat energy alone from the base.

why on Earth would you buy incandescent bulbs in bulk?...it's been known for years now that they were being phased out...LED bulbs last longer...I doubt you would be able to tell the difference so any issues with the light is just a placebo

Cree LED bulbs are the best

I can tell you use Led lights by your posts. Just garbage blue light same as it ever was.

While LEDs are "ok", they are expensive and from own experience, don't provide as much light nor last as long as CFL. Anyway, younger folks will never know what "true light" looked like.

Sure, incandescent has been non-purchasable for awhile, but I was sad to see CFL go by the wayside too. Now everything is LED. It's like saying, "Let's get some steak." ... and that now has to mean Burger King.

I have not read the entire thing, but what about car headlights and blinkers and other bulbs used in it? Is it just for household bulbs?

While LEDs are "ok", they are expensive and from own experience, don't provide as much light nor last as long as CFL.

they provide just as much light or better than CFL bulbs...you just need to get the equivalent wattage

Follow up on the LED base temperature. Just recorded 188.1F degrees on one of my GE Reveal HD+ bulbs I have above the laundry machines in the basement. I find it hard to believe it is drawing 9 watts. That's likely the reason they die so fast.

PXL_20230731_175138240.jpg

and for reference, the basement area temperature..

Capture.PNG

Ah yes, here's the solution, just run whole home inverters to run off DC and double up on your home's wiring to provide separate power trains. You're helping to save the planet. /s
https://www.cencepower.com/blog-posts/led-bulbs-dont-last-as-long-as-advertised

Last edited:
ITT: A Bunch of people hating on LED lights while staring at a screen lit with LED lights.
I mean, the only ones still going out and buying incandescent bulbs prolly put milk in the bowl before their cereal.

They have their place. For general mass lighting, they don't work out so well.
For general mass lighting they are, by far, the best option we have. Not only do they use low energy but they last. No, they don't last forever, and yes sometimes they break before they should, but they outlast incandescent by a good margin. Just not having to replace lights all the time makes it worth it for me. Incandescent bulbs last about 1000 hours-ish. They are designed to because to make them last longer means they are less bright and less efficient, and to make them more bright and more efficient starts to rapidly decrease lifespan. So 1k hours is the balance point that you see in normal bulbs. At 3 hours a day, that's replacing the bulb every year. LEDs you are usually looking at 10 times that or more.

They really do end up costing less overall too usually. An incandescent usually runs you about $1/bulb for a cheapie 60w in a bulk pack. Maybe you can get it for a little less, I've seen them for perhaps at low as 80 cents, and you can pay more for halogens or other nice ones. Well, cheapie LEDs are about the same. You can get generic-ass Homedepot store brand 60w equivalent LEDs for about $1.75/unit. Even high end ones aren't too expensive, a Philips Ultra Efficient 60w A19 is about $7/unit.

Ok well let's assume that the LEDs really suck, they only last the 1000 hours an incandescent would get you. Also let's assume that you don't pay a whole lot for power, say $0.10/kWh. How's the price break down? The incandescent is $1 purchase cost, and 60w over 1000 hours is 60kWh so $6 in power, $7 TCO for the bulb. Now how about the cheapie LED? $1.75 startup cost but only 9w operation, over 1000 hours is 9kWh, so $0.90 in power, giving $2.65 TCO. The ultra efficient does end up costing more, but only a tiny bit because it is so efficient. $7 purchase cost, but only 4.5w power so $0.45 in power cost giving a $7.45 TCO.

That's not realistic though, assuming they'll last that short an amount of time. Even the cheapies are likely to last more than 1000 hours, and the ultra efficient bulbs could easily make it 10,000-50,000 hours (they are rated to 50k). At 10k hours you are talking $10 in purchase for incandescent bulbs, $60 in power, $70 TCO. For the ultra efficient $7 in purchase, $4.50 in power, $11.50 TCO.

It really does work out a lot more economical in the long run, and there's the fact that you can just install a bulb and forget it most times unless something goes wrong.

I have had a couple strange things with LEDs. A ceiling fan light didn't work with all LED bulbs, and others only had half the LED elements light up. I did eventually find something that worked great with the ceiling fan, but it was a hassle for sure. Then I a have a room with 5 fixtures on the same circuit. Some were higher brightness and different brand. When the room was painted they were removed and replaced without taking note of the original location. Depending on which ones were on they would flicker. With some time I was able to remember the original locations and the flicker problem went away. I don't mind LEDs but they are certainly finicky.

I work maintenance in a very large office/research complex. They've been shifting entire buildings to LEDs for "sustainability". They really don't seem to last any longer than the fluorescents do tbh. About the only advantage is no more replacing ballasts.

I work maintenance in a very large office/research complex. They've been shifting entire buildings to LEDs for "sustainability". They really don't seem to last any longer than the fluorescents do tbh. About the only advantage is no more replacing ballasts.
i REALLY hate the sound of ballasts. They changed our offices to led panels on 10v dimmers and they are a nice soft lighting with no visible flicker that i can see and am usually sensitive to. And quiet haha.

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference so any issues with the light is just a placebo

It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference. Incadescent bulbs never have input lag before the turn on (although sure, they might take a bit to warm up), they never flash bright then dim when you turn on a dimmer switch at the bottom, they don't make a cool stroby effect when you wave your hands around either. Never seen an incadescent where you can dim down to the bottom, but if you turn it off and on, it won't start.

Otoh, LED bulbs don't heat the room, which is usually nice, cause I can heat with a heat pump if I want to; not great for the easy bake oven or anything else where heating was indended. And LEDs tend to be a lot brighter, which is pretty handy. Much better than the hell that was CFL.

Yep, yep. I've got 4 fluorescent shop lights(4 footers) that are 10 or 11 years old in my workshop. I've had to replace one full unit because the ballast fried. Haven't had to replace any of the other bulbs yet.
I grabbed another 4, 4 foot, LEDs when I picked up the replacement for other spots in my shop (they were only a few bucks more). It'll be interesting to see how they compare to the fluorescents.

i REALLY hate the sound of ballasts. They changed our offices to led panels on 10v dimmers and they are a nice soft lighting with no visible flicker that i can see and am usually sensitive to. And quiet haha.
Yeah when they're ready to go they get really obnoxious. Kind of neat when you learn how a ballast works and why they start making a racket.

LED is supperior in every way. You can get flicker free LEDs at any color temperture, or even any color. Just get a good brand like Philips. You get what you pay for.

I have the first LED bulb Philips sold to replace standard bulbs in 2010 that were really expensive. It still works perfectly fine.

I bought some cheap brand off amazon at the same time and it died after a month. It was supposed to have a lifetime warranty, so they had me send it to them to get a replacment....and they never sent a replacement.

Since then I've probably bought close to a 100 LEDs. All philips for regular bulbs and none of those have died. I've been getting their dimmable flicker free bulbs that turn more yellow as you dim them. They're really nice and they're about $4 each now.
For specialty lights I've been using a cheaper brand, but none of them have died on me either. They've been going strong for about 5 years.

I have not read the entire thing, but what about car headlights and blinkers and other bulbs used in it? Is it just for household bulbs?
OEM bulbs and light assemblies are pretty damn expensive even when they were using halogens or HIDs--so when your 'bulb assembly' is like $1200 and the true manufacturing cost on it is still a couple of hundred (to meet FMVSS as well as the OEM's durability specs), those aren't going to be junk quality. You want junk though, just look at the aftermarket for the same lights--cost a lot cheaper, made even cheaper, and last just a few years (aka good enough to sell the car).

Why do all the idiots on youtube have to make some sort of face like 'look at the turd I just made' or some other idiocy? I just can't take any of these people seriously enough to even watch what they produce with these gimmicky still shots...:stop:
Then you're missing out :D it's really well done, and actually does a "TL;DW" right at the top, too.

Thank you for the data point. I always wondered if the longevity was worth the price. Is there any real savings on the power bill to justify them?

For general mass lighting they are, by far, the best option we have. Not only do they use low energy but they last. No, they don't last forever, and yes sometimes they break before they should, but they outlast incandescent by a good margin. Just not having to replace lights all the time makes it worth it for me. Incandescent bulbs last about 1000 hours-ish. They are designed to because to make them last longer means they are less bright and less efficient, and to make them more bright and more efficient starts to rapidly decrease lifespan. So 1k hours is the balance point that you see in normal bulbs. At 3 hours a day, that's replacing the bulb every year. LEDs you are usually looking at 10 times that or more.

They really do end up costing less overall too usually. An incandescent usually runs you about $1/bulb for a cheapie 60w in a bulk pack. Maybe you can get it for a little less, I've seen them for perhaps at low as 80 cents, and you can pay more for halogens or other nice ones. Well, cheapie LEDs are about the same. You can get generic-ass Homedepot store brand 60w equivalent LEDs for about $1.75/unit. Even high end ones aren't too expensive, a Philips Ultra Efficient 60w A19 is about $7/unit.

Ok well let's assume that the LEDs really suck, they only last the 1000 hours an incandescent would get you. Also let's assume that you don't pay a whole lot for power, say $0.10/kWh. How's the price break down? The incandescent is $1 purchase cost, and 60w over 1000 hours is 60kWh so $6 in power, $7 TCO for the bulb. Now how about the cheapie LED? $1.75 startup cost but only 9w operation, over 1000 hours is 9kWh, so $0.90 in power, giving $2.65 TCO. The ultra efficient does end up costing more, but only a tiny bit because it is so efficient. $7 purchase cost, but only 4.5w power so $0.45 in power cost giving a $7.45 TCO.

That's not realistic though, assuming they'll last that short an amount of time. Even the cheapies are likely to last more than 1000 hours, and the ultra efficient bulbs could easily make it 10,000-50,000 hours (they are rated to 50k). At 10k hours you are talking $10 in purchase for incandescent bulbs, $60 in power, $70 TCO. For the ultra efficient $7 in purchase, $4.50 in power, $11.50 TCO.

It really does work out a lot more economical in the long run, and there's the fact that you can just install a bulb and forget it most times unless something goes wrong.
That isn't my experience with paying for these things out of my own pocket, thinking I was getting a much longer lasting bulb, when that isn't the case. I can't even make it a year, even buying expensive GE and Philips LED bulbs. I replaced a basement light that runs 24/7 with an incandescent bulb again because the last one ran 8 years straight.

Back