Ignorance - stupid people = teh suck

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Is it just me or does anyone else ever hear this?

---------
Me- Hey, so your buying a new video card? Get a Radeon 9800pro 128mb!

Them- Why should I pay that much when I can get a GeforceFX5200 with 256mb for cheaper? Its got double the ram on it!

Me- That doesnt mean its faster, it just means your paying more for a steaming pile of shit.

Them- Ya, and thats why my steaming pile of shit will be better than your 128mb Radeon.

Me- Um...
----------

I just had this arguement with someone. Anyone else have any "stories" of something? =).

ive heard it before, but when i explain the differences they understand.

but i do remember hear the people who bought the ati rage furry maxx brag that it was better than a geforce because it had 2x processors :)

You think that's funny.
One guy posted on a board once asking for recommendations for a card...

But it had to be Nvidia because it was "better" than ATI, it had to have 256MB ram so it would "last five years", and under $150 because his "mom was paying for half".

Spare-Flair said:
You think that's funny.
One guy posted on a board once asking for recommendations for a card...

But it had to be Nvidia because it was "better" than ATI, it had to have 256MB ram so it would "last five years", and under $150 because his "mom was paying for half".

Haha, thats great.

Working at Best Buy I hear a lot of that. Yesterday some guy came in wanting to return far cry because it wouldn't run on his p3-600. I asked why he thought it would run on his system : his response, but I have a GeForce 3! :rolleyes:

i was at a computer show a year or so ago and me and my friend were walking together talking about overclocking and shit, and some guy had the balls to interupt our conversation to tell me that overclocking didnt actually make anything faster, it just wears out your parts quicker. he was trying to tell me that my celeron 600@1030 wasnt any faster than a regular celeron 600.

acascianelli said:
i was at a computer show a year or so ago and me and my friend were walking together talking about overclocking and shit, and some guy had the balls to interupt our conversation to tell me that overclocking didnt actually make anything faster, it just wears out your parts quicker. he was trying to tell me that my celeron 600@1030 wasnt any faster than a regular celeron 600.

Bout the worste ive seen was at BB some idiot was telling an older couple a 2.6ghz celeron faster than a 2.4 ghz P4...... at the internet...nothing else...I just looked at her and laughed.

To the thread poster-buy an FX5200 and pop some ramsinks and a high end gpu cooler on there and then sell it to him for $200.

Can anyone think of a good analogy, because whenever I try to explain it, they don't get it.

Tengis said:
Is it just me or does anyone else ever hear this?

---------
Me- Hey, so your buying a new video card? Get a Radeon 9800pro 128mb!

Them- Why should I pay that much when I can get a GeforceFX5200 with 256mb for cheaper? Its got double the ram on it!

Me- That doesnt mean its faster, it just means your paying more for a steaming pile of shit.

Them- Ya, and thats why my steaming pile of shit will be better than your 128mb Radeon.

Me- Um...
----------

I just had this arguement with someone. Anyone else have any "stories" of something? =).

just let him get the fx5200 and install it, then let him rave about it. then invite him and his rig over for comparison :D i know its kind of mean, but it will open his eyes. if he doesn't live near you, compare playable resolutions on games you guys both have.

me, I get tired of telling people: but what I would say is which would be faster a 100 mhz pentium w/ 1 gb of ram, or a pentium 4 3 ghz w/ 512 mb of ram, if they can't think that one through then all hope is lost. :p

101998 said:
Working at Best Buy I hear a lot of that. Yesterday some guy came in wanting to return far cry because it wouldn't run on his p3-600. I asked why he thought it would run on his system : his response, but I have a GeForce 3! :rolleyes:

wow. that physically hurts me.

At least you tried helping him out. As long as it is not your money going down the poop hole, let the guy waste his cash. In the end, you can own his ass when he starts complaning on how his card cannot keep up with the latest games, bah!

bobmanfoo said:
just let him get the fx5200 and install it, then let him rave about it. then invite him and his rig over for comparison :D i know its kind of mean, but it will open his eyes. if he doesn't live near you, compare playable resolutions on games you guys both have.
That's really the only thing you can do if they refuse to believe you.

Just like getting in a car crash is often the only way some people can be convinced to wear a seatbelt.

Wow, is the mood in this thread really pessimistic, or is it just me? :p

Mad_Pyro said:
To the thread poster-buy an FX5200 and pop some ramsinks and a high end gpu cooler on there and then sell it to him for $200.

I honestly find nothing wrong with that, although others may say thats wrong to do. If they have no interest in seeking the truth, let them be charged accordingly. Even if someone does go and spend 200 on a 5200, in his/her mind, they are on top of the world, even though they get 25 fps a sec in ut2k4 lets say on minimal settings.

my story is one of actual learning. a long long time ago (6 months) i was running a radeon 7200 32mb ram vid card 4xAGP and i didnt fully have the cash to get me a high end video card.. so i decided upon the nvidia fx5600, knowing my radeon 7200 could actually play all these new games and was a good 5 years old. well my fx5600 256MB vid card installed and all was fine, until i played a game. sad to say ... i put the radeon 7200 back in the computer cuz while it played a bit slower .. at least it didnt constantly crash. Boy i was glad i learned that lesson before i bought a high end card god forbid i may have spent a lot of cash on a fx5900 lmao.

bobsaget said:
Can anyone think of a good analogy, because whenever I try to explain it, they don't get it.

I would show them benchmarks, thats usually the best way you can do it.

I have never owned an ATi card ( not that I don't plan to ), but I am very concious on the price performance issue. I usually like to stick with cards that will give me a good performance for the price, and the driviers will work with what ever obscure operating system I'm running at the time. I don't know why anyone would think that nvidia was better than ATi, its not like the intel ordeal where all the brand name PC companies sell computers with intel processors and people get programed into thinking that those are somehow the best or something.

I see people sell just as many ATi cards as they do nvidia cards so it just doesn't make sense.

bmxerkrantz said:
my story is one of actual learning. a long long time ago (6 months) i was running a radeon 7200 32mb ram vid card 4xAGP and i didnt fully have the cash to get me a high end video card.. so i decided upon the nvidia fx5600, knowing my radeon 7200 could actually play all these new games and was a good 5 years old. well my fx5600 256MB vid card installed and all was fine, until i played a game. sad to say ... i put the radeon 7200 back in the computer cuz while it played a bit slower .. at least it didnt constantly crash. Boy i was glad i learned that lesson before i bought a high end card god forbid i may have spent a lot of cash on a fx5900 lmao.

hey there is nothing wrong with the fx5900, it will roll the fx5600 up in a doobie and kill it with one hit :)

most people these days don't know anything about computers...
I mean they think if it has a big number, looks cool, and/or costs alot (for the people with money) then its what they want...
and these people don't know how to maintain their computer... they just think that it maintains itself... I mean their 2.4 p4 starts to feel like a celeron and its just incrediable that they spend loads of money and don't maintain it...
Like about 75% of people that i know that have computers never updated their computer via windows update, etc...

When I feel like I need a laugh I usually walk down the street to CompUSA and browse the isles listening to all the idiots that work there trying to sell Celerons and other piles of shit to people. Best Buy is another good place for it too. I remember a guy at CompUSA who was try to replace the PSU in his Dell since it came with a 250w and he had a few HDs in there with a DVD burner. He walked out of the store spending about $70 on a 400w, too bad Dell uses custom PSUs. :D

lolzers.... Thats mad funny... I mean best buy is a good store and everything and so is comp usa, but most people that shop there know nothing... But best buy is kind of misleading too... and thats funny with the dell PSU dell uses coustome everything, thats y if u know computers, u don't get one...
i mean at best buy they are selling PC-4000 kingston hyper x ram... Like anyone that shops there is gonna use that...

I stopped telling people what was good and what they needed for games, they don't listen to me at all!

I just refer everyone to dell now, they are helpful and will help you spend your money:)

yea ... my previous post was about a decision on the newer line of nvidia cards. a buddy of mine pointed out also that a geforce 2 overclocked a bit would have dusted my fx5600 ... maybe this 6800 series from nvidia is a different story, but i could under no circumstances recommend the fx5*** to anyone. it dont show the full picture and the one i had loved to crash. its not that im opposed to nvidia cards to one model, but it did put that whole line out of the running.

and lastly ... there is a sucker born every minute

hopefully nvidia dont count on those people and starts with good cards again

bmxerkrantz said:
but i could under no circumstances recommend the fx5*** to anyone.

the 5200 and 5600 are crap man....the 5700u is better then you get the 5900,5900xt,5950 which are all just fine. sure they dont run up there with the 9800...but they do do the job very well.

i've seen worse at mi friends... i mean like really bad... I mean for all i know they could of had keyloggers, and they have antiviruses, but never update, use internet on unsecure wireless networks with no means of stopping anyone (who the hell needs a wireless network when theyre just 2 rooms, but i guess theyre paranoid bout cables), and more I mean they have a router, and barely know how to set it up (like omg they didn't know u had to put user name and password in router to connect to internet lolz) and more... At least that computer was a pentium 2, all these people run 128mb ram with cheepie cellys that run like nothing u ever seen before in windows xp
well this is just mi experience, wonder what horror stories u guys have?

I once repaired someone's computer who I think may have possibly picked up every piece of spyware on the internet. It was a 2.4 P4 Dell, and when Windows finally booted, it showed over 130 processes running. I was astounded. I didn't even bother trying to figure out what was all on it, and just told them that I needed to completely reload the system with their restore discs, which luckily they had. Sometimes I think it's a proper punishment to make a person format their hard drive for stupidity.

I've heard someone tell me they thought a 9200 256MB would be fast cuz of the ram. Luckilly i changed their mind after showing them some benchmarks. I've also have someone say nvidia cards are better because they're "optimized" for games and because of TWIMTBP. :p

I got in an arguement with some ignorant ass that claimed he was studying something in CIS. He was trying to convince me and a friend that the 5950 was faster than a 9800Pro/XT because it has a higher clockspeed. No matter what I said he wouldn't buy it.

FiZ said:
I got in an arguement with some ignorant ass that claimed he was studying something in CIS. He was trying to convince me and a friend that the 5950 was faster than a 9800Pro/XT because it has a higher clockspeed. No matter what I said he wouldn't buy it.

That's when I say: "Faster does NOT equal BETTER."

Yeah 5200, 5600 and 5800 are terrible cards. The only good ones are 5700 and 5900 with 5950. All radeon 9xxx series don't suck just because 9200se is a bad card.

ha, i got you all beat. i once helped clean a buddy's comp, 400 objects in ad-aware (not counting cookies), then i noticed that the CPUfan wasn't spinning while it was on. >=| the heatsink was like touching fire. so damn hot.

i tried to put a working fan on it but it wouldn't accept anything but the non working heatsink. i think it's cursed.but it's still working.

bmxerkrantz said:

I got a FX5200 with some spare cash cuz I figured it'd surely be a LITTLE better than my GeForce 3 Ti200 64 MB. Oh man, it spent 3 hours in my system and then was promptly sold to another "sucker" I know.

Thats when I lost faith in Nvidia and got my 9800.

Back