IGN Best Video Game of All Time Tournament

But they started with brackets, which is fundamentally wrong.

I'm pretty sure the answer, at least to-date, is Myst. And I've had strangers lean out of their cars, on two occasions, holler, "Gordon Freeman, is that you?"

Yeah definitely (about the brackets), but it's just in fun. I guess results are somewhat to be expected, like if the same thing were done regarding best rock band of all time I suspect somehow that a band like Five Finger Death Punch would make it to the top ahead of bands like Led Zeppelin and AC/DC haha.

Not sure that I agree that Myst is in the running for best/greatest game of all time, though it is a very good game. I feel like the greatest game of all time needs to be more distilled down to the most essential *game* elements but is still fun even today, and that puts something like Tetris or Pac-Man ahead for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: travm
like this
Influence-popularity does not define greatness, but is almost an minority requirement for it.

I'd argue the absolute opposite. Performance and game mechanics are practically irrelevant. Greatness and bestness comes from the number of people and amount of cultural significance a game has.

If the best-made game is something a developer made and never published, and only one person has ever played it, that's not just semantics, that game may as well not exist.

Odd choice. I've heard it was good, but it looks like nothing special. I'm sure it is a great game, but greatest game of all time? With all the influential games that had such a big lasting impact on gaming as a whole featured on the list it is interesting to see something that came and went so quickly won.

If anything you'd like GTAV's high sales would've resulted in more votes.

Back