If the 8800GTX supported folding, I'd so buy one~!

chemist_slime

[H]ard|Gawd
If the 8800GTX supported folding, I'd so buy one~! Does anyone know when a client for Nvidia cards will be released? Right now the R600 is looking kind of lame.

I agree... all the AMD / ATI stuff looks lame right now.

I have built a gaming system with a C2D... and waiting for a new CPU, like the R600, to hit the market and use it for folding as well.

But nVidia kicks some GPU ass.

Please Mods... don't move this thread to AMD or GPU forums. this is all about folding, for Moose's sake!

:D

You need to bug Nvidia about this. Their hardware wasn't producing the proper numbers, so Stanford told them what was wrong. I guess Nvidia didn't want to or couldn't fix the issues.

It's not a Stanford issue at this point. I'm sure they'd love another infusion of GPUs if it became possible for Nvidia hardware to run the GPU client.

Yeah, I agree with you all. I realize that the 7XXX series weren't supported due to limited hardware support, but isn't the 8XXX so much better?

I always thought it had to do something with the nVidia GPUs (8 series included) not support sufficiently complex maths. Not enough precision. That's not really nVidia's fault, they set out to make a graphics chip, not something for serious 32bit single precision FP calculations. I'd assume they'll be getting their act together sometime in the next generation, probably the 9 series, because GPGPU is probably going to take off in a big way. Currently, despite their 3D graphics woes, AMD is stomping nVidia in GPGPU.

We are working with Nvidia on this. The main issue is that we have 18 months of development and lots of code running on ATI cards that we are having issues with on Nvidia cards. We are going back and forth with Nvidia on this, but it's a slow process and resources on both sides for debugging are limited. So far, the 2 bugs we thought we had, one on their side and one our side, have turned out to be red herrings. This is one of the major issues with GPGPU at the moment, the development tools just aren't really setup for debugging the code and the shader sizes we are using.

We are working with Nvidia on this. The main issue is that we have 18 months of development and lots of code running on ATI cards that we are having issues with on Nvidia cards. We are going back and forth with Nvidia on this, but it's a slow process and resources on both sides for debugging are limited. So far, the 2 bugs we thought we had, one on their side and one our side, have turned out to be red herrings. This is one of the major issues with GPGPU at the moment, the development tools just aren't really setup for debugging the code and the shader sizes we are using.

Whoa, thanks for the update. I never knew that we had Stanford people monitoring the forums.

Thanks for the invite, but I must remain neutral. Besides, I don't think I could take Marty/Moose yelling and screaming about me not having all my available resources folding for the Hord. :p

BTW, I do take a pass through the forums every week or so, but I check the main FAH forums pretty much every day.

Yep I am all for Nvidia cards coming into the "fold"..I have a pair of 8800s that would be happy to throw some points Stanfords way. I just cant seem to bring myself to buy an ATI card since the old 9800Pro days (That and crossfire just seems to be a goofy halfassed way to do something that should be simple)..I have my PS3 folding, All my work machines folding, all my home machines folding and still waiting for a MIPS client to get my cell phone folding

Back