IEC C13 Connector direction/rotation in SFX PUS is a standard or not?

SaperPL

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've stumbled upon a little question:

Is this connector direction/rotation standarized in the SFX PSU?
iec60320_c14.jpg

SFX Specification does say that the location/position is at manufactuer's choise but what about the rotation?

The problem is if the direction is not standarized I need to support two or more configurations either by having two versions of angled cable connector or support two rotations of the whole PSU.

I don't believe it is, and if it is, it doesn't matter since there are examples of all orientations already on the market.

Are there any small form factor/turn angle C13 plugc/manufactuers worth noting?

I don't want to wast too much space between the PSU and the outer wall but all plugs on the market have this cord stiffening 1.5cm sleeve.

I would like to avoid ordering custom cables production too.

Most of the SFX PSUs I can think of are reversible - meaning the PSU itself supports at least two orientations.

You mean the mounting and rotating whole PSU 180 degrees? I know that.
The problem is here with the SFX-L receptacle rotation and how to angle the cord there.
Silverstone_sfx-8.jpg

^The inlet orientation on the SX500-LG is one of the reasons the LRPC is a little thicker, allowing for a bit more space for the right-angled connector to bend if need be. It'll still be tight, though, I'm sure.

Yeah and considering that there might be another one with opposite rotation just around the corner waiting to be released I'd rather solve the problem differently than make the case thicker.

I think there's always minimum 1cm from the plug edge to the case edge so I need angled plug that allows cord angling within that 1cm. Tough job finding one though.

Yeah and considering that there might be another one with opposite rotation just around the corner waiting to be released I'd rather solve the problem differently than make the case thicker.
Well, like I said - it's only one reason for making it thicker, and not the most significant one.

I think there's always minimum 1cm from the plug edge to the case edge so I need angled plug that allows cord angling within that 1cm. Tough job finding one though.
Let me know if you find one :p

I was looking into low profile c13 connectors the other day and was able to find one company who made a fairly low profile connector but it appeared to only be custom order. The lowest profile c13 connector I've seen is the one used in the NCASE M1. Check out this post here if you haven't seen it already. Hopefully this info helps some.

Do you have a link to that company? I'm also on the lookout for a low-profile angled plug.

This is the one but it's not as low profile as I first thought. It's 39mm tall which is 4mm shorter than the ones available on digikey. Still nothing compared to the 28mm tall NCASE one.

This doesn't solve the problem of all rotations though ...

Last edited:
Back