Ideal Cable for 2560×1440 in Multi-Monitor Config?

SolidSnake3035

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I'm currently trying to expand my setup with a new primary display in 1440, and I want to figure out what the best setup might be.

I was thinking of going DVI because of the autodetect issues Windows has with DisplayPort and rearranging my entire desktop every time I turn off a monitor that's on DP.
I use multiple screens for various windows and I want to be able to turn off a monitor(or accidentally bump the button) without my entire setup being brutally jammed onto the remaining screen.

So in doing some research I've found some information about DVI for 2560×1440. It seems like cable length and wire gauge are a big factor, but I can't find concrete information about it.

My plan is to move my primary 1920×1200 monitor over to the side on single link DVI or HDMI, to replace an old 1680×1050 that died on me. While having a new primary 2560×1440(hopefully on dual-link DVI-D?), and occasionally my friend's monitor on the other side with DP.
The graphics card can support this, though I don't want to have a shiny new monitor here and find out that I don't have the proper cable to run the setup the way I want and have to hack together some temporary crap or stick with something I don't want(desktop reset on power-off).

So if it's possible to push 2560×1440 at 60Hz with a dual-link DVI-D, what wire gauge and cable length must it be to accomplish this? I was hoping to be able to go with a 10ft, but it seems like that might not be possible. I could work with less by running the cable in a non-ideal direction if I have to, and I'd rather do that than deal with the stupid autodetect issues through DP that Windows doesn't allow us to fix.

Any input on the matter is greatly appreciated.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2759&CAWELAID=1329459398
No personal experience, but with 92 5-star reviews I'd have to assume it pushes 2560×1440 at 60Hz.

fwiw, I have two 27"s on DP, if I switch off the secondary monitor, none of my windows are moved or jammed around, Windows essentially thinks it is still there. I get a DP error message when I turn it back on, but still seems to work fine. I generally wouldn't expect Windows to react well to flipping monitors off and on regardless of the display interface.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2759&CAWELAID=1329459398
No personal experience, but with 92 5-star reviews I'd have to assume it pushes 2560×1440 at 60Hz.

fwiw, I have two 27"s on DP, if I switch off the secondary monitor, none of my windows are moved or jammed around, Windows essentially thinks it is still there. I get a DP error message when I turn it back on, but still seems to work fine. I generally wouldn't expect Windows to react well to flipping monitors off and on regardless of the display interface.
That looks like a nice cable, and yeah it shows that it can do 2560x1600. I'm not sure what the deal is with the length and gauge then. Maybe just a bunch of misinformation based on other issues?

But yeah it might be because I use different resolution displays on different output types that it does that, I don't know. But it's a huge problem that's been talked about a lot with zero helpful response from Microsoft.
All I know is when I power off a monitor in my setup on DVI it doesn't screw up anything. Only if I unplug the DVI cable will it do what the other monitors do on DP when simply hitting the power button.

Thanks for the response!

Anyone else with similar issues or suggestions?

You can easily do 2.5k over 10 feet of cable, with DisplayPort or DL-DVI. DVI actually would be a little "easier" (meaning less stringent cable requirements) because it has more signal lanes and thus needs a lower frequency. Either way though, it isn't something that is problematic. I do 2560x1600 over 12ft of DP cable no issues.

I can get in to the technical issues of wires and signaling if you like, but more or less don't worry about it. Buy a cable and try it. If it doesn't work, you can look at getting a better cable, either one with tighter tolerances or one with a thicker wire gauge (which will be physically larger).

Monoprice's cables are an excellent choice as they are cheap, and you should have no issues at a given length. If they sell you a 12 foot dual link cable, it'll work just fine. Just get the 28AWG cable, as the higher gauge ones are much thicker and really aren't needed.

In the highly unlikely event there is an issue, well you can just go and get another one that is thicker (or made by another vendor that uses tighter spec cable). They aren't expensive.

But 2.5k @60Hz is pretty easy for cables these days. You aren't likely to have trouble until you start moving in to higher bandwidth stuff. You wanna do 4k @120Hz? Ya ok, that is going to be something that could be an issue and you might need some specialty cable to do it over anything but a short distance. For your use? Don't worry.

Awesome, good to know. I would have automatically assumed it would be fine had I not seen so many rumors about it.
So I went with the monoprice 10' 28 gauge. Thanks for the help!

Also if anyone has any more info on the autodetect for DisplayPort I'd be curious to hear it. As far as I know the only actual solution is to remove one of the pins from the cable, since there's no actual option for it anywhere in Windows.

I have the 24 AWG version of that cable - works fantastically. But for a run less than 15' 28 AWG works just fine, still a pretty thick cable.

Back