IDE raid 0 array on Abit NF7-S v2.0?

Dytralis

Limp Gawd
Will I be able to set up a raid 0 array with the NF7-S or am I going to have to go out and get an IDE raid card?

Originally posted by Dytralis
Will I be able to set up a raid 0 array with the NF7-S or am I going to have to go out and get an IDE raid card?

You can only set up Serial ATA drives in a RAID 0 array on the NF7-S - because the regular IDE channels have no RAID capability whatsoever. Thus, you will need two identical SATA hard drives.

But if you want RAID in a PATA (IDE) interface, you have no choice but to buy an additional PCI IDE RAID controller card.

But if you want RAID in a PATA (IDE) interface, you have no choice but to buy an additional PCI IDE RAID controller card.
WRONG!

You can get SATA to IDE adapters. Get two matching units and your golden. I use the Rocket Adapters made by Promise. I used that on my NF7-S and I'm using them on my IC7-MAX3.

According to Sandra my drive setup is faster then a normal 7200rpm 8mb SATA Raid 0 Array.

Originally posted by Kingofl337
WRONG!

You can get SATA to IDE adapters. Get two matching units and your golden. I use the Rocket Adapters made by Promise. I used that on my NF7-S and I'm using them on my IC7-MAX3.

I was talking about the nForce2's native IDE controller - which has no RAID support whatsoever - in my post.

You should have red the title then.

IDE raid 0 array on Abit NF7-S v2.0

That board has a promise raid controler on board.

Originally posted by Kingofl337
You should have red the title then.

IDE raid 0 array on Abit NF7-S v2.0

That board has a promise raid controler on board.

You're totally wrong on that. The regular IDE channels have no RAID capability at all whatsoever. And there is no Promise IDE RAID controller chip at all on that mobo. (Note that there are only two regular IDE/PATA ports, which are controlled by the nForce2's native IDE controller, on that NF7-S motherboard.) There is, however, a Silicon Image 3112r SATA RAID controller chip with two SATA ports - and the RAID feature only works on hard drives that are connected to the SATA channels.

no need to get hostile :D

I was walking around the abit forums and found out there was a converter

thank you guys for your help

Back