IC7 + Zalman Heat Sink Mod = no more NB heat sink

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
So I did the popular Zalman mod and a couple months later at a lan event two of the retention loops broke off on one side and my heat sink fell off. Well I didn't realize this until the end of the day. I spent the entire day playing games and using my computer to its full potential without anything touching the north bridge. Something tells me any other chipset would probably have caused instabilities with the computer (like via chipsets or sis or chipsets for another name brand CPU)
I now have another IC7 on the way to me from Abit, hopefully their RMA service is quick and reliable. maybe it'll also have the new northbridge design, although if it could run without a heatsink, I can now understand why the first revisions had that tiny sink/fan. As long as I can still run my 2.4C @ 3Ghz with 250 FSB I'll be happy.
I was just shocked it ran all day without any crashes, slowdowns, or instabilities. As were all my friends, most envious of my intel as they own systems based on another CPU :p

I had mine come off, I just soldered them with some silver Solder and bent them ober a bit first. , No problems since.

All the IS7 and IC7 is sell in rigs get the same treatment now. Worth it just waiting for the Soldering gun to heat up and not a lot of work.

yeah, happened to me to...that was the last straw for that abit board for me (there were many more problems i had with it, but that crossed the line) :(

yea I had another strange problem with the board too. It would take exactly one minute and 25 seconds to start shutting down without fail. I reformatted and reinstalled windows and it still happened so I attribute it to the motherboard. I had that problem since I got the board, but with typical uptimes of 2-4 weeks I didn't care if it took that much time to reboot/shutdown. Now hopefully I won't have to deal with that quirk any more.

Back