i7 Build Advice

Blackjack

[H]ard|Gawd
So i'm looking to build up a nice i7 system based around the RetailEdge Package deal (i7 920 + DX58SO + Vista/7 Ultimate).

1) What will you be doing with this PC?
Mostly gaming, but it will also be a general use PC. For now the gaming will be at 1680x1050 but I hope to upgrade to a larger monitor soon.
2) What's your budget?
Around 500 if possible, Absolute max is $700 INCLUDING the 289 from retail edge, tax, and shipping.
3) Where do you live?
New Jersey
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
See Below.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
The only parts to be reused are the SATA hard drives.
6) Will you be overclocking?
I don't plan on, but I want to leave room open just in case.
7) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now or ASAP

So as for the parts that I already have. As mentioned above, I will be using the parts from the RetailEdge Package so thats an Intel i7 920, Intel DX58SO. Out of my old build I have a pair of SATA DVD-RW drives that I will be using, as well as a creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatality and a BFG GTX275 I was looking around newegg and picked up the following parts.

Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB kit : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

HS/F: Xigmatec Dark Knight : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

So all that leaves is a PSU and a Case. Doing the math, and assuming the parts so far are up to snuff, that leaves around 250 for these two parts.

PSU: Has to be modular, I hate dealing with excess cables everywhere, this is the only real restriction there.

Case: I don't mind LED fans or windows or flashy stuff like that. The case needs to be able to cool very well, I have an issue with my current p182 where the 275 overheats, so i have to run it side-less. Also, it should be noted that a window isn't a requirement, i have no problem cutting my own fan-holes/windows.

Let me know if anything is unclear or if any more information is needed.

Last edited:
I will take a look, I may go with the 900w just in case I decide to SLI sometime in the future.

At which point in time I'd suggest selling the "current" PSU and simply upgrading to a new PSU... if and when that time comes.

At which point in time I'd suggest selling the "current" PSU and simply upgrading to a new PSU... if and when that time comes.

Point taken, assuming i go with the CM690, is there a modular PSU you can recommend to fill out the rest of my budget?

Looks like a competitor for the Antec 900. Cooling looks good, 120mm rear, front, and dual 140mm top.

Does anyone have any comments on the memory? Is it pretty good RAM, i'm not to familiar with DDR3

Does anyone have any comments on the memory? Is it pretty good RAM, i'm not to familiar with DDR3

lol...

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail

BTW, 1.65v is the MAX intel recommends using, so OCZ's definition of "low voltage" is a bit skewed, lol. It has great latency, CL7, but you won't notice much of a difference between that stuff and CL8 or CL9 unless you're running benchmarks. You could probably relax those timings to CL8 and run them at 1.5v or something.

Low voltage, 1.5v (the standard for DDR3), would be best for compatibility, but there aren't many DDR3-1600 kits running at 1.5v. I prefer the G.Skill kit thats 1.5v-1.6v.

lol...

BTW, 1.65v is the MAX intel recommends using, so OCZ's definition of "low voltage" is a bit skewed, lol. It has great latency, CL7, but you won't notice much of a difference between that stuff and CL8 or CL9 unless you're running benchmarks. You could probably relax those timings to CL8 and run them at 1.5v or something.

Low voltage, 1.5v (the standard for DDR3), would be best for compatibility, but there aren't many DDR3-1600 kits running at 1.5v. I prefer the G.Skill kit thats 1.5v-1.6v.

::Blinks:: wait what? I guess I'm not as familiar with memory as i thought I was. What does this mean for compatibility/overclocking potential? Will the low voltage cause any problems down the road? Do you have any other recommendations for around the same price range (or cheaper)?

::Blinks:: wait what? I guess I'm not as familiar with memory as i thought I was. What does this mean for compatibility/overclocking potential? Will the low voltage cause any problems down the road? Do you have any other recommendations for around the same price range (or cheaper)?

Well, OCZ says that RAM is low voltage at 1.65v, but the MAX Intel recommended voltage for DDR3 RAM on i7 chips is 1.65v. Basically, I wouldn't say that RAM is low voltage.

As for OC'ing, with DDR3-1600, you wouldn't really need to OC the RAM unless you want to go past 5Ghz (using a 6x DRAM multiplier) or past 4Ghz (using an 8x DRAM multiplier). Keep in mind that the memory controller is now integrated into the CPU, so using more than 1.65v may damage your CPU.

For best compatibility, 1.5v is the standard voltage for DDR3, but as I said earlier, its hard to find DDR3-1600 sticks that run at 1.5v only.

Well, OCZ says that RAM is low voltage at 1.65v, but the MAX Intel recommended voltage for DDR3 RAM on i7 chips is 1.65v. Basically, I wouldn't say that RAM is low voltage.

As for OC'ing, with DDR3-1600, you wouldn't really need to OC the RAM unless you want to go past 5Ghz (using a 6x DRAM multiplier) or past 4Ghz (using an 8x DRAM multiplier). Keep in mind that the memory controller is now integrated into the CPU, so using more than 1.65v may damage your CPU.

For best compatibility, 1.5v is the standard voltage for DDR3, but as I said earlier, its hard to find DDR3-1600 sticks that run at 1.5v only.

So those sticks would be fine assuming I can run them at a lower voltage. Got it. Thanks, chances are I will be putting the order in tonight and hacking up the case by Thursday.

So I went ahead and ordered everything and what do you know, the memory i just so happened to be looking at went on to be the shell shocker for this afternoon...a sign?

Back