i7 bclock issues

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
Hey, I'm new to overclocking Intel CPUs. The only overclocking experience I've had was with an Opteron 165, and I didn't push it too terribly hard.

I have an i7 920 on an Asus P6T. I began by setting the OC profile to manual, disabling speed step, and then brought the CPU multi down to 12x and the RAM multi down to 6:2.
I booted into windows and fired up four instances of Orthos which I tied to each core in the task manager. I used TurboV to gradually increase the blclock to see where that maxed out at. I can push it to 155 with my full load core temps steady at about 50C on stock volts. However, around there, Orthos starts throwing out errors after about ten minutes, and if I push it any higher the PC locks up and a get blue screens.

I tried useing TurboV to raise my CPU voltage and QPI/DRAM frequency to close to 1.3V which heated up my CPU to about 70C, but did nothing at all for my bclock frequency. Even at 166, both my RAM and CPU are running far below stock speeds. Is TurboV not playing nice with my BIOS settings? Should I change my methodology?

EDIT: I also remebered to change the QPI multi down to 4.8 GT.

Last edited:
You should always do your overclocking through the BIOS, not through software. Your system will be more stable and you will be able to reach higher speeds as well as being able to tweak more settings.

Ok, I'll give that a try, thanks!

Should I continue to try to find my highest bclock before it ratchet up my CPU?

QPI/VTT volts is essential to a stable verclock on core I7 turn em up a lil and are you still on stock cooling?

Should I continue to try to find my highest bclock before it ratchet up my CPU?
That isn't really necessary. You should focus on reaching the highest overall CPU speed rather than being concerned with the base clock.

Ok. I was concerned because when using TurboV, I was unstable even though my CPU speeds were well below stock. Do you think the program was screwing something up that wouldn't be an issue with BIOS OCing?

I will definitely give this another shot when I get home. Thanks for your help!

Do you think the program was screwing something up that wouldn't be an issue with BIOS OCing?
Yes. One of the problems with software overclocking is that changing the CPU speed while it is being used by other programs is often problematic.

Back