i7 930 @ MC are good for OC?

rosh

Limp Gawd
Im looking for a i7 CPU, and heard that i7 920 D0 is the best for OCing. But Microcenter doesnt hv 920 anymore. They hav i7 930. Anybody have any experience with their i7 930 processor overclocking?

I've also heard these new chips are mostly inferior to the 920 D0 in overclocking. I'm curious to hear what is the real deal though.

Some are great, some are horrible.

For the 930's, you really have to shop around for the better batch number. My 920 D0 can do 4ghz at 1.188 vcore but my brother's 930 has to increase it to 1.3 vcore. It's not bad, but not great either. Both will be much better than a C0 lol

Corrected :)

Last edited:

For the 930's, you really have to shop around for the better batch number. My 920 D0 can do 4ghz at 1.88 vcore but my brother's 930 has to increase it to 1.3vcore. It's not bad, but not great either. Both will be much better than a C0 lol

1.88v? o_O

It's really luck of the draw..you just don't know.. I have a 920 that will only go to 3.8Ghz..

and I have a 930 that will go to 4.0Ghz comfortably.. and even run at 4.2Ghz with slightly higher voltage but crashes on Prime95 after about 2 mins.... and will probably run fine at 4.2 if I figured out which of the voltage options besides vcore to increase..

both chips were bought at MC..

--mike

Dang that sucks. I got a batch from MC 3949A171. It runs stock at 1.15 vcore. I'm sure I could undervolt it, but I've never bothered lol.

They do not accept returns if they're opened. However, you could swap it. Some MC's are strict, some are not.

For the 930's, you really have to shop around for the better batch number. My 920 D0 can do 4ghz at 1.188 vcore but my brother's 930 has to increase it to 1.3 vcore. It's not bad, but not great either. Both will be much better than a C0 lol

Corrected :)

I love my D0. I was running 3.6 @ stock volts and just put it up .025 to see if I could just jump it to 200 BCLK. I have not had the time to back down the volts a little to see what I can get stable closer to stock volts.

4ghz.png

What is the best OCing board for this cpu under $300. Also RAM?

I love my lowend ASUS P6T SE...wish I got something a little more high end but it does what I need it to do..it is around $200. I heard the P6T and Deluxe are pretty good but around $250.

Lol nice OC. If you want to see if it's stable within a short amount of time, run LinX for 5 runs at 25k. If you pass, you should be fine. I would still run 20 runs to be safe to make 100% sure you're stable later down the road.

Visited MC and they have 3001A125 - i7 930 batch.
Any idea abt overclocking of that guy?

A125 is on my list as one of the good clockers. If u r able to snatch A187 would be best.

I have an A125. it takes a few more clicks of vcore, but I've had it up to 4.5ghz using evga e-leet. probably room for more.

for the voltage, it doesn't run that hot.
I'm @ 1.4v for regular / gaming /movie encoding use, but my watercooled temps are comparable to most others I've seen using less voltage. I take it up past 1.4 for my 4.5+ runs of curiosity, temps are good.

Lol nice OC. If you want to see if it's stable within a short amount of time, run LinX for 5 runs at 25k. If you pass, you should be fine. I would still run 20 runs to be safe to make 100% sure you're stable later down the road.

For overall system stability, do you just test for 20 runs of LinX, or is there a need for other stress test as well such as long hours of Prime95?

If you have a 930 join us on the 930 OC'ing thread.

So for quick temp tests you run 5 Linx runs. When you get close to your final OC, you run 20 Linx runs. If your temps are fine and you pass, then run a longer Prime95 run. 8h+ should be ok, 24h is better.

Normally if your OC is marginal you can pass 20 Linx, but you fail quickly in the first hour of Prime95. Really good stability is a 24h run, while checking your temps to make sure they are not rising (e.g. ambient case temp issue). In a 24h run you also get the different temps during the day (e.g. hot summer day vs cooler night time air).

Back