I7 920 for $200 at Microcenter B&M only

rgratto2

2[H]4U
From slick deals:
MicroCenter has Intel Boxed Core i7 Processor 920 for $199.99 available for in-store pick-up only.

Your credit card is not charged until you pay at the store. When there, you can ask the service rep to check for a D0. I did this the last time they had this deal and they were very nice about it.

C0 - SLBCH
D0 - SLBEJ

hey guys please dont just web pick the 920's see a salesman and they will check for D0's also. We lose money on every 920 sold in hope of attachments so even if its a tube of arctic silver or something buy it please. If attachments stay low with these blowout sales they wont be doing em much longer IMHO

hey guys please dont just web pick the 920's see a salesman and they will check for D0's also. We lose money on every 920 sold in hope of attachments so even if its a tube of arctic silver or something buy it please. If attachments stay low with these blowout sales they wont be doing em much longer IMHO

Hmm.. I wouldn't expect the computer enthusiast crowd, inherently some of the most intelligent consumers, to fall for that kind of marketing "this will draw them in" bullshit, so maybe MC shouldn't offer these deals if they can't afford it.

See, that is why I almost never buy from brick-and-mortar stores. The idea that I'm supposed to pick up "filler" items because they have a good price on the one thing I might need/want. Heck, even when I go grocery shopping I have a list of everything I need and only buy what is on that list ;)

See, that is why I almost never buy from brick-and-mortar stores. The idea that I'm supposed to pick up "filler" items because they have a good price on the one thing I might need/want. Heck, even when I go grocery shopping I have a list of everything I need and only buy what is on that list ;)
yea but if you need the stuff anywayand can pick it up at the same time it will help MC help you with good prices. You dont have to buy anything one from us is always better than one from the egg. If the vendors would give us better prices we'd sell it just as cheap for everything else.

Don't worry when I picked up my d0 i stumbled on some good watercooling deals and the x58 mobo was the same price as the egg so I wound up spending an extra 400, dang loss leaders.
Anyway if anyone is on the fence and lives near a microcenter, go buy one! for 199 they are ridiculously fast and a high end 775 mobo is 200 too so stop complaining about mobo prices.

Hmm.. I wouldn't expect the computer enthusiast crowd, inherently some of the most intelligent consumers, to fall for that kind of marketing "this will draw them in" bullshit, so maybe MC shouldn't offer these deals if they can't afford it.

The concept of a loss-leader is a pretty well established one in the retail industry. Heck quite a few E-tailers like Buy.com do the same thing.

I bought some DDR3 when I picked up my 920 in last month's sale. Same price as newegg and I didn't have to wait for shipping, works for me.

D0s in Houston, TX

Don't worry, I also got 6GB DDR3 and a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P. They were all about the same as newegg, I don't mind paying tax to avoid shipping and have easier exchanges. Also a bonus that tax money goes back into the community/state

Don't worry when I picked up my d0 i stumbled on some good watercooling deals and the x58 mobo was the same price as the egg so I wound up spending an extra 400, dang loss leaders.
Anyway if anyone is on the fence and lives near a microcenter, go buy one! for 199 they are ridiculously fast and a high end 775 mobo is 200 too so stop complaining about mobo prices.

A few months ago I went into MC to pick up a Gigabyte board to make a hackintosh.

Ended up buying 2x DX58SO's, 2x i7 920's, and 2x 6GB DDR3.

Bastards.

I picked up some OCZ memory along with an OEM Samsung dvd burner. The sales person told me they had a limited number of DO's and were reserving them for system builders (i.e. someone willing to buy something in addition to the cpu). Having read this thread before hand, I kinda expected some push. I don't have a problem with this since I'm for the local stores. If the price is the same or better than Newegg then why not? If the B & M stores go away, then all you'll have left are net dealers. It's always nice to have a local store front to go to for your needs especially when you need to see the stuff up close and personal before you make a decision. The sales guy actually said he'd sell me the DO flat out after I asked what exactly constituted a system builder purchase. He replied that basically any piece of hardware would qualify.

In the end, the price was more than right, I picked up a couple of other items at Egg-comparable prices and I supported my local economy:D

A few months ago I went into MC to pick up a Gigabyte board to make a hackintosh.

Ended up buying 2x DX58SO's, 2x i7 920's, and 2x 6GB DDR3.

Bastards.

It's amazing how easy that kinda stuff happens to me too:eek:

Well, for those of us without another electronics store nearby (Fry's comes to mind), there's a good chance that MC will have anything else you need. It might not be the best price (and you will have to pay tax) but you get it in your grubby little mitts today, not when the brown truck rolls by your house.

Also, forgot to add, if you've never been to MC before, the floor people are on commission. If someone helps you and is nice/knowledgable/polite, let them put their sticker on your stuff. They scan it at checkout so that guy gets the commish. I was in there just this weekend and although I didn't need help, I got into a conversation regarding the W7 deal. The guy was really nice, so I asked if he wanted to slap his sticker on my stuff.

Wow a full drop to $200 I thought getting mine for 230 was a sick deal but now its even lower.

The concept of a loss-leader is a pretty well established one in the retail industry. Heck quite a few E-tailers like Buy.com do the same thing.

I must have missed the thread where a buy.com employee begs us to purchase more stuff so that they can continue to offer loss leaders.

Whenever I go to MC I always pick-up compressed air 3 cans for 10bux whether I need them or not. They're about 45-50 min drive so I don't go they often or unless I'm in the area. Good deal but I'm not sure if it's worth picking one up selling mine at a loss and spending more money just to grab a D0 for what another 200MHz that I probably won't see any real everyday use difference.

MC had a deal on e7400's for $80 a while back and i ended up coming home with that cpu, a bulgin vandal switch, ac ryan rad grill and a lian flip dvd bezel.

they always get me :mad:

Instead of begging potential customers to not buy just what they want, maybe you or your salespeople should work on their attachment skills. I know a guy who works part time at our store and takes home twice as much as I do even with overtime, and i'm a full-time supervisor. We also used to have a guy who would be dealing with ten customers at a time and getting all of them set up for TV sales and deliveries, and staying personally involved in making sure everything was smooth sailing from start to finish, even following up on their deliveries to make sure they got in on time and there weren't any problems, even though that was technically a manager's job.

If your salespeople aren't hungry for money, fuck 'em. If they work like they don't need the money, then the money they don't need will simply go to someone else. Its that simple.

On topic - this is a sweet ass deal. If I didn't just pick up a q9400 I would probably be snagging this and picking up a motherboard elsewhere. I don't care for MicroCenter's pricing on motherboards.

Getting chilly in this thread, $200 is way overpriced for this processor. Should come down to $150 soon any way.

Microcenter in Marietta, GA has a lot of d0's that are 3850A849. I googled 3850A849 and a couple of people are getting around 4.0 / 4.2 max. I went to the one in Duluth, GA and the guy found me a 3849A925 which is getting 4.2 ~ 4.6. Looks like I will be returning the 3850A849.

Getting chilly in this thread, $200 is way overpriced for this processor. Should come down to $150 soon any way.

What's the inside scoop you have that leads you to believe this price drop is happening soon? As far as "overpriced", they're the cheapest price around (and probably taking a loss at that).

does anyone know if MC price-matches newegg's motherboard prices?

yes but they add overnight shipping cost, at least my local store does phila, which I think is a little ridiculous since I drove an hour to the store, so it's not like I'm instantly getting the same device for internet price.

I just noticed that after selecting my location (dallas) it offers me the option for going for open-box for $160!! :D. I'm biting and taking the risk with that 30 Day return policy.

I've been telling myself to hold out and just get an i5 on Black Friday this year, but I keep getting tempted to build before then...

I hate being on a strictly limited budget :(

Anyone with MC local willing to help out a brother? :D

Figured i might as well upgrade wifes 939 board+opty170.

Can you purchase 1 920 every visit? I need about 4 of these haha. I also need a Q9550, can I get both a 920 and a q9550 on one visit? Thanks!

Back