i7 875K or i7 950?

First off they are different sockets and operate on a totally different chipset and MB.

Depends on what MB you currently have.

I have X58 chip set so it makes sense for me to get the i7-950 because I already have the hardware to support it.

Performance wise I think the X58 chip set is geared towards more overall performance for the entire system. Socket 1336 seems to be the choice for extreme performance.

Microcenter has a bundle of the 875K, 4gb of ram, and a motherboard for $350. Great price (must be clearing inventory for 1155)

Microcenter has a bundle of the 875K, 4gb of ram, and a motherboard for $350. Great price (must be clearing inventory for 1155)

The 875K is not as good of a deal as it seems given that it does not include any HSF at all whatsoever. A separate HSF must be purchased with the combo even if you're going to just run the 875K at stock speed.

Heres the link but its gonna run out of stock fast if not already: http://www.microcenter.com/specials...ews Friday BYOPC 20101203&utm_source=ACT_BYO&

This has been debated a lot. If you have a microcenter nearby the i7-950 will be the cheaper processor upfront but the MB will most likely cost more. I personally have the 1366 i7 since I built my computer before 1156 came out. I would recommend the 875k (1156) if you only plan on running a single video card, but the 1366 socket is better for sli/crossfire.

The 875k does not come with a heatsink which is fine for me since I wouldnt run it but if you just want to run it at stock speeds it can be annoying. The i7-870 is only 230+tax which I believe comes with a HSF and should overclock almost as well as the 875k too.

I've bought the i7 950 from Microcenters last weekend for $199.99 before tax.

well if you can find a good deal on board and ram then the i7 is defintiely the way to go. i saw an evga x58 board for $50 on newegg the other day and 6gb of ddr3 for ~$100 so its really how you want to look at it..

the only people who should be buying a K processor should already know they don't come with a heatsink and they should also have the intention of overclocking it. Who buys a K and runs it at stock.?

the only people who should be buying a K processor should already know they don't come with a heatsink and they should also have the intention of overclocking it. Who buys a K and runs it at stock.?

true that, it has an unlocked multiplier for a reason....

a 875k is only a good investment for people who are upgrading a 1156 setup. otherwise a 1366 setup can be had for as i said little to no extra cost

A lottt of people buy things merely because they are better, but usually they will never use the added benefits. Great example, my friend who knows nothing about tech bought a dell with an i7-965 in it cause he wanted the best. He was coming from a p4 dell laptop. An i7-920 would have even been overkill for him, all he does is web browsing and microsoft office. Hell I am even guilty of buying stuff that is overkill for what i need, not to that extent of course.

Why is 1366 better for 2 video cards.

For gaming, there isn't a noticeable difference. But for benchmarks, LGA 1366 is better since you have two full 16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes - compared to 8x PCI-E 2.0 on 1156.

1366 for sure if you can fit it into your budget..im so impressed with the setup in my sig...

I now own a ASUS Rampage Formula that I'll be pairing with the i7 950 I purchased last weekend.

You can get good coolers for very cheap, check out the scythe mugen 2, its $40 and is often up with the megahalems and h50

i7 875K if you want to overclock easier and only plan to use a single GPU setup.
i7 950 if you want to use SLI/Xfire. 875K can still do this, but the 1366 platform will do it better.

As far as a HSF not being included, who cares? It's a junk HSF to be honest, if you're getting anything i7 you can afford 30 bucks for an aftermarket cooler.

Back