I7 860 MSI P55-GD65 Turbo boost problem

QuadDragon

Limp Gawd
Ill take any help I can get here people, can't believe I got a only a single reply on this thread. Am I missing something in my configuration? Shouldn't the multiplier jump to 24 etc to hit thie 3.6 when in a single threaded app and then go down from there if all the cores are used?

I got Turbo Boost going and the multiplier has jumped to 22 vs 21. I have loaded once core to the max using a windowed version of Everquest, but turboboost keeps the frequency at 2.9ghz instead of 2.8. How do I make this motherboard turn turbo boost up to the 3.6ghz its supposed to on single threaded apps? EIST is enabled and overspeed protection is disabled.

Last edited:
How loaded are the other cores? The CPU doesn't crank up to maximum power just because you've got a single threaded application running in the foreground. Load balancing might have enough activity going on the other 3 cores to keep turbo from pushing up on the loaded core.

Not really relevant to your question but.... Since when does EQ need a 3.6Ghz core i7 to run flawlessly?

EQ doesn't need 3.6 to run flawlessly lol. Just trying to make the turbo boost kick in cause I haven't seen it crank up yet. The problem is I Haven't seen the multiplier change reguardless of what its doing. The rest of the cores were loaded at like .08 worth of activity. Mostly backround process for windows. When it idles, it idles at 2.9ghz acording to cpuz. When all 4 cores are kicked up it runs at 2.9ghz. To be honest I haven't seen anything that the 2.9ghz won't run flawlessly on one core or all 4. I just wanted to actually see it work. I haven't seen it actually scale down or up yet.

Last edited:
I played around with my machine some to see if I could generate some of the CPU scaling you're talking about on my own machine and, I'm not really seeing it either. I can load down a single core by assigning affinities manually and the CPU remains in a range from 2.8 to 3.0. When I'm sitting idle it hovers at 2.8 or so. I don't think this is an issue with your board or mine but, the way the CPU is operating.

I'll have to play with it some more and see if I can induce the scaling it will supposedly do.

Good to know im not the only one seeing this issue. Thx for the reply. I realise this board and tech is so bleeding edge there must not be a whole lot of people out there with this issue atm.

Hey guys finally figured out what in the hell was going on with the turbo boost if anyone cares to know. On the MSI P55-GD65 you have to have the all the power saving features turned on before turbo boost will work. The main thing that fixed it for me was turning on the C-State because that was the only thing disabled. Turned it on Started CPU-Z and Bam 3.4 ghz on start up.

Hm.... that is interesting. I ran 1 thread of prime95 and I only got 2.9GHz in CPU-Z. Turned on C-State and 3.4GHz works.

Weird.

Thanks for your work and info!

Back