i7 860 + corsair h50 help... kinda hot...

vvilliamm

Gawd
alright this is my first time on a intel chip.. my old amd ii x2 at 3.8ghz run around 30c..

recently i upgraded to a intel and went with a corsair h50. with a push/pull my temps are around 40c idle.... isnt that bad? whats the avg temps i should be looking at with these chips? below 50 = good? 60= turn off now and turn on the ac? or does these chips run these hot...

currently running at 3.4ghz and 1.4v

If the 860 is anything at all like the 930 in the temperature department I'd say 40c idle is pretty damn good at 1.4v. I'll let some of the more experienced folks around here answer you for certain, but from my fiddling on the 930 over the past few days I'd say you don't have anything to worry about.

I'm currently idling at 45C at 1.3v on my 930 if that tells you anything.

1.4V seems bloody high for a 3.4GHz overclock. Are you going to go up any more, or leave it at 3.4?

But yeah, 40 idle 60 load is pretty good. I ran my i7 920 at 75C+ for about 3 months continuously, it didn't damage it at all. Of course, it maybe just waiting to die on me, but for now it's fine. I would keep it under 70 for peace of mind, but other than that no concerns. If you really want you could check that the H50 is attached properly and the TIM is applied evenly and reasonably thinly, but that's up to you.

Those temps look about right for 1.4v. But you should be able to clock much higher with that vcore, or at least lower your vcore and enable C1E & speedstep. And to note yes I7's are hot running chips. 60c isn't even breaking a sweat.

1.4V seems bloody high for a 3.4GHz overclock. Are you going to go up any more, or leave it at 3.4?

But yeah, 40 idle 60 load is pretty good. I ran my i7 920 at 75C+ for about 3 months continuously, it didn't damage it at all. Of course, it maybe just waiting to die on me, but for now it's fine. I would keep it under 70 for peace of mind, but other than that no concerns. If you really want you could check that the H50 is attached properly and the TIM is applied evenly and reasonably thinly, but that's up to you.

Not to derail his post, but no reason to start another thread for this question:

Is it considered a Bad Thing to remove a heatsink from the CPU and re-seat it without cleaning and re-applying fresh thermal paste? The reason I ask is I have this one niggling core that wants to run 4 to 5C hotter than the others. I'm thinking it may be because I had to rotate the H50 too much when installing it (it came a little loose at first so I had to move it back) and maybe some of the TIM got smeared badly in the process. I'd like to take it off and check for even coverage, but not if I'll have to reapply even if I find that it was fine.

wtfns.jpg
< this just happened.. what the hell?

wtfns.jpg
< this just happened.. what the hell?

I had something like that as well. My 930 was reported as a 920 with only a max multi of 20 (no turbo). It went away after some updates and a restart. IDK if that's what fixed it, but it's gone now. :confused:

5-10 restarts still no luck. lol curious with 1.4 v on a i7 860 how far should i push it? so far i only used oc genie

Yeah, IDK what happened that fixed mine. Wish I could help you. Maybe install chipset drivers and whatnot? I think thats what my computer did. HDD light was going nutts, and I restarted when it settled down.

OC Genie? I'd stick with making bios adjustments. I've heard that you can corrupt OS's and stuff using software tweakers. I have EVGA e-leet, but don't use it much.

1.4v is kind of a lot, but maybe it's ok with 1156?
I have an OC'd 1156 860 at work, I'll check on that and let you know, but I dont think it's @ 1.4v. I think its running ~3.8ghz if IIRC.

<< kinda a noob.. lol in oc
cause with intel i heard you have to adjust the ram with it also.

I'm with the 1.4v is pretty high for only 3.4Ghz. I'm running 1.38v and sitting at 4Ghz myself. Do you have the H50 setup as an intake? It makes a world of difference pulling cooler air in from the outside of the case

Back