i5 7500 vs 7600K in games

phinix

Gawd
I'm at the point where need to upgrade my system.
I was wondering, what is the point of getting i5 7600K and OC, if 7500 could have similar fps in games?

I will be gaming at 4K, but cannot find any gaming benchmarks on these two compared.

I found some tests of 7600K stock vs OCed at 1080p.
If old i5 6400 can get almost same fps, what's the point of paying premium for K version + better motherboards?

XuTjrE5P47kebKFMPmDhf7-650-80.png

There are several things to it. Just because you set a GPU limit doesn't mean a faster CPU wont be beneficial.

First of all games tends to have different CPU load in different places. Specially build in benchmarks tends to ignore this since they focus on graphics. Often being prescripted with very little load on the CPU.

Secondly there is the minimum FPS issue, while average may look fine. A weaker CPU will do worse in minimum FPS.

Lastly there is the future prospect. CPU demand will only increase.

If I was you, I would go 7700K and be done with it.

Last edited:
I think replacing your 4670k with a 7500 would be an expensive sidegrade.

What's your current system overclocked to? What issues are making you think you "need to upgrade"? What games?

Would you definitely be overclocking the new build?

My itx Z97 mobo died and cannot find replacement, that is why I only need to upgrade:(
I do not OC my system. Run all on stock.
Won't be OCing new build.

phinix i would cheak if you still have warranty on you MOBD some of them have a 5 year warranty and they should honer it, if you MODB did die to no fault of your own you should be able to get it fixed for the cost of postage.

Anyway something you should look in to unless your dead set on upgrading

Ouch.

Any ITX w/ M.2 replacement you do find will be (over)priced accordingly, not probably not worth buying.

What case? Will a new system also be ITX?

I guess the good news is you can sell your 4670K for a premium since it's a K-chip. Bad time to buy RAM though...

check this video. notice the CPU %. I think current gen game use 4 core, since Ryzen is out, my guess game will use more core. the Ryzen headroom is amazing compare to i5

So is the 7700K. And its way ahead of Ryzen.

Not that I would trust that YouTube link to begin with.

So is the 7700K. And its way ahead of Ryzen.

Not that I would trust that YouTube link to begin with.

I think buy ryzen is for future prove. remember back in the days 1 core is minimum , then dual core is minimum. I think with ryzen 8 core/16 thread become mainstream, game developer will change coding to utilize additional core/thread, they already doing so on PS4/XBOX, both are 8 core. They haven't done so till now, cause before intel 8 core cost $1k, so most ppl will spend on GPU rather than CPU. beside ryzen already beat 7700k on workstation app. unless intel came up with new CPU architecture or, they has to add more core to compete against AMD in workstation or mainstream, if app/game developer consider moving to more core/thread programing.

I think buy ryzen is for future prove. remember back in the days 1 core is minimum , then dual core is minimum. I think with ryzen 8 core/16 thread become mainstream, game developer will change coding to utilize additional core/thread, they already doing so on PS4/XBOX, both are 8 core. They haven't done so till now, cause before intel 8 core cost $1k, so most ppl will spend on GPU rather than CPU. beside ryzen already beat 7700k on workstation app. unless intel came up with new CPU architecture or, they has to add more core to compete against AMD in workstation or mainstream, if app/game developer consider moving to more core/thread programing.

FX was also the future. Just wait they said.

FX was also the future. Just wait they said.
FX performance was bad across the board. Ryzen is not, clearly for workstation, ryzen is on par against intel 8core chip. game wise, most current gen game are run great on 4 core, but when running ryzen look at cpu %, its very low, this give a lot headroom.

The 7700 will be fine for the next 5 years (if you go that long between CPU upgrades.. like I did this last go around.)

Keep in mind you will need an additional CPU cooler as it does not come with one.

So I would definitely look to something like that.

If you need to be able to do a HD 60fps stream as well as game at the same time then perhaps you would be better served with more cores.

It SOUNDS like you are still happy with your i5 and if it wasn't for the crash of the motherboard you would stick with it.

If you have a micro-center near you I would go with a 7700k and a motherboard easy to overclock with.

I should have clarified I'm not an overclocker either. But damn it's so easy and not more expensive. My MSI board has the lazy mans overclocking nob. I just turn'ed that one notch and boom done. Course I have a decent air cooler and memory faster than stock needs. Not 3200 but 2666 and it's trucking right along no problem.

The 7700 will be fine for the next 5 years (if you go that long between CPU upgrades.. like I did this last go around.)

Keep in mind you will need an additional CPU cooler as it does not come with one.

So I would definitely look to something like that.

If you need to be able to do a HD 60fps stream as well as game at the same time then perhaps you would be better served with more cores.

It SOUNDS like you are still happy with your i5 and if it wasn't for the crash of the motherboard you would stick with it.

If you have a micro-center near you I would go with a 7700k and a motherboard easy to overclock with.

I know you're probably going to disagree but i personally think the 7600K and 7700K are going to age poorly compared to like a 2500K or 2600K over 5 year period as in I think there effective life span for high end gaming is going to drop off fast in the 2-3 year range as I personally think were going to move to more CPU core intensive programming for games, especially strategy/simulation games and FPS/RGP type games will more then likely remain GPU intensive for thew most part, with that said if intel supports the 1151 LGA platform for longer then it typically has in the past you might be good with a 7600K now and do a side grade in that 2-3 year rage with a faster CPU as the 7600K and 7700K are excellent CPU's for what they are designed to do and that is push high frequency clocks with a quad core architecture, and if high frame rates in modern day games is what you wan't then there is no other alternative.

But if you are like me and better lower minimum FPS is what you want to see improve then I would get a Ryzen 1700, as for the CORE argument it is really up to you there is no writing in stone on the future uses of CPU cores especially if we smash the 5GHz barrier then it will be back to the faster clock wins.

But like I said that is just my opinion. Thanks for reading

I know you're probably going to disagree but i personally think the 7600K and 7700K are going to age poorly compared to like a 2500K or 2600K over 5 year period as in I think there effective life span for high end gaming is going to drop off fast in the 2-3 year range as I personally think were going to move to more CPU core intensive programming for games, especially strategy/simulation games and FPS/RGP type games will more then likely remain GPU intensive for thew most part, with that said if intel supports the 1151 LGA platform for longer then it typically has in the past you might be good with a 7600K now and do a side grade in that 2-3 year rage with a faster CPU as the 7600K and 7700K are excellent CPU's for what they are designed to do and that is push high frequency clocks with a quad core architecture, and if high frame rates in modern day games is what you wan't then there is no other alternative.

But if you are like me and better lower minimum FPS is what you want to see improve then I would get a Ryzen 1700, as for the CORE argument it is really up to you there is no writing in stone on the future uses of CPU cores especially if we smash the 5GHz barrier then it will be back to the faster clock wins.

But like I said that is just my opinion. Thanks for reading

It has merit but we can't expect the average consumer of computer games to have systems like what we can afford and build ourselves. There are TONS of people still gaming on older i5 or Dual core 6600's. and the proliferation of laptops as the new computer of choice for many of the younger and quite a few of the older gamer's out there severely limits the market saturation of muilti core systems for the next few years.

I don't expect my CPU/config to be THE BESTESTS EVER for the next 5 years. I expect it to be a solid performer that I can incrementally upgrade parts of to keep it performing well.

6 and 8 phyiscal core processor tuned games will come. I have no doubt. But the big dogs will still be the older 2 core 4 thread systems for the next few years.

Now SCALING to incredible performance with more threads.. now THAT is doable... but it will be impacted by IPC and MHZ ratings as well.

I don't expect this generation of the Ryzen to run away with the gaming crown by default in the next 5 years. I fully expect it to be a solid competitor and hopefully we will see games that perform better on it than they do on the intel chips today. I would LOVE to see AMD's Ryzen series compete with whatever intel has next and still hold the line in the gaming/dollar arena.

I hope you understand... market saturation will weigh more than highest performance. And Scaling to the super high end down to the entry level will be the best win.

Of course I come from a time when people could play wing commander on a 286 or a 386, it was faster on a 386 but playable on a 286.

Of course it was TOO fast on a 486 which is why they had the "turbo" button we all like to chuckle over.

FX performance was bad across the board. Ryzen is not, clearly for workstation, ryzen is on par against intel 8core chip. game wise, most current gen game are run great on 4 core, but when running ryzen look at cpu %, its very low, this give a lot headroom.

You say its not FX, yet you explain why it is FX.

You say its not FX, yet you explain why it is FX.

You gave him crap for linking a youtube video, yet you linked a youtube video to one game that obviously needs a patch for Ryzen either through game or the Windows patch. Your 6700K is still a good gaming chip though, don't worry about it too much =)

You gave him crap for linking a youtube video, yet you linked a youtube video to one game that obviously needs a patch for Ryzen either through game or the Windows patch. Your 6700K is still a good gaming chip though, don't worry about it too much =)

Everything needs a patch for Ryzen doesn't it. Even AMDs own titles.

(PCLab)
upload_2017-3-12_10-17-21.png

hitman_4k.png

upload_2017-3-12_10-17-42.png

war_1080.png

Since you dont overclock I would suggest the Ryzen chip 1800x it clocks up to 4.1ghz which is pretty much the max they overclock anyway. At 4K tho the processor does not matter much the GPU is more important. But if you use the computer for video ripping or things like that then you cant go wrong with the 8 core from AMD. If the only thing you do is just game then the 7700k is the best choice for just gaming. Another plus for Ryzen is they plan the next couple generations to release on AM4 and with Intel more often then not you have to change the motherboard to support a new chip. Most have given you pretty solid advice except one, I would ignore Shintai.

Shintai I went to try and see your charts.. and how you derived them but I guess I'm not a power PClab user. Your charts do look cherry picked as legcramp above has said.

And EVEN IF AMD CPU's need updates to unlock their full potential so what? Intel hyperthreading had a whole host of patches to help it get to the point it is at today.

Back