i5 750 vs i5 760

LordBritish

2[H]4U
Which CPU is better for overclocking?

Or may be I shouldn't even get an i5 ?

(durn, almost 10 year anniversary here, has it been that long?)

Your name brings back memories of Ultima. I'm in the same boat as you, Sir, wondering which one I should go with as there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the i5 and 7s in gaming.

The only difference between the two CPUs is the higher multiplier of the 760. That will make overclocking easier, but will not necessarily increase the maximum possible overclock.

My experience with the i5-750's has been good, my machine and a friend of mine (both of us with the same board and cpu) reached 4.0ghz with little trouble. 3.6ghz was effortless.

I wouldn't bother spending the extra money on the i5 760. I'm sure you'll get great OCs out of both, probably not much of a difference.

from what ive seen the i5-760 really doesnt have many
great ones.they eem to be higher vid ones and dont clock
any better than the i5-750.so i would just get the cheaper one

Just get what's cheaper. You'l probably be happy with either chip.

its only like $15. if you only upgrade your cpu infrequently, get the 760. usually a multiplier and clock speed bump costs a lot more. until recently the price dif between an i7 930 and i7 950 was 2 or 300 bucks.

currently my microcenter is running 750's for $159.99. The cheapest I can find a 750 is $199.99 on 'egg. think i'll go the 760 route for $40 savings :)

if you dont get i5 and buy q1 sandy bridge you fail.. only difference i5 and i7 is HT which isnt a problem. I am upgradign to a 6-8 core q6 2011 sandy bridge but till the end of this year this is mine!

41126875.png

if you dont get i5 and buy q1 sandy bridge you fail..

Thats terrible advice. A 2500K will knock the socks off of the i5 750. At this point, price is truly the only thing that should hold you back, and even that won't be much more

Thats terrible advice. A 2500K will knock the socks off of the i5 750. At this point, price is truly the only thing that should hold you back, and even that won't be much more

Recently bought an i5-760 setup... it's plenty fast enough for photography, gaming and everything else. Really don't see the need to spend the extra for a sandy bridge processor. Using the stock cooler I'm overclocked at 3.2ghz and undervolted at 1.0v. It's only sipping 43-45watts while stress testing. The only thing holding me back is my hard drive and I would rather save up the extra cash for a SSD instead of getting the newest sandy bridge setup.

Recently bought an i5-760 setup... it's plenty fast enough for photography, gaming and everything else. Really don't see the need to spend the extra for a sandy bridge processor. Using the stock cooler I'm overclocked at 3.2ghz and undervolted at 1.0v. It's only sipping 43-45watts while stress testing. The only thing holding me back is my hard drive and I would rather save up the extra cash for a SSD instead of getting the newest sandy bridge setup.

Thats fine for you that you can settle for those speeds. I was simply stating that paying the extra $60-$100 for a 2500K setup will take you much further, even at stock- - and you don't "fail" for doing so

Thats fine for you that you can settle for those speeds. I was simply stating that paying the extra $60-$100 for a 2500K setup will take you much further, even at stock- - and you don't "fail" for doing so

you're right... like you said price is the only thing that should hold you back. :) i'm pretty happy with my setup if that's convincing to the original poster.

"knock the socks off" may be a bit of an overstatement from what we've seen so far.

Nobody is saying that people with quad core nehalems should upgrade to sb right off the bat. Sb has a significant improvement over nehalem, but might not be worth it considering how fast nehalem already is.

Most of the early adopters of sandy bridge will be people on AM2 and 775. If you have one of those now, its worth waiting a month for sb. If you already have nehalem and its not holding you back then why bother?

10% clock for clock, with higher clocks and a better turbo - probably be close to sock knocking.

Right on. From what I've seen, 4.0 will be an easy overclock, 4.5 will be common, and 5 will be possible. Thats comparable to an i5 750 at 4.6, 5.2, and 5.75

If the i5 is wearing socks, they will be handily knocked off

Nobody is saying that people with quad core nehalems should upgrade to sb right off the bat. Sb has a significant improvement over nehalem, but might not be worth it considering how fast nehalem already is.

Most of the early adopters of sandy bridge will be people on AM2 and 775. If you have one of those now, its worth waiting a month for sb. If you already have nehalem and its not holding you back then why bother?

Agree - not a whole lot of sense being an early adopter from existing i5 or i7, but I can't wait to trade in my C2Q.

I still await to be proven wrong on the prices, I would be very very surprised if a SB setup was within 100usd of an i5 setup on launch year.

and how are people doing overclocks on hardware that isnt released yet? getting special chips in advance will not necessarily be the same as what can be brought in shops.

reminds me of reviewers getting p55 boards without foxconn sockets claiming the vendors had ditched the sockets, then me buying one with a foxconn socket. free review samples dont match to retail stuff. I dont doubt they will overclock better but I expect the average clock speeds wont match what is reported now.

I still await to be proven wrong on the prices, I would be very very surprised if a SB setup was within 100usd of an i5 setup on launch year.

and how are people doing overclocks on hardware that isnt released yet? getting special chips in advance will not necessarily be the same as what can be brought in shops.

reminds me of reviewers getting p55 boards without foxconn sockets claiming the vendors had ditched the sockets, then me buying one with a foxconn socket. free review samples dont match to retail stuff. I dont doubt they will overclock better but I expect the average clock speeds wont match what is reported now.

2500K is rumored to be $250. Lets say that creeps up to $100 and you pay a $50 premium over 1156 motherboards. Quite plausible. I'd say a $100+-50 is a reasonable estimate. This is relative to current prices, mind you. Gigantic price cuts on 1156 gear should be coming shortly, especially for motherboards (another strike against buying 1156 at the moment.)

As per overclocking, the default turbo speed of the 2600 series is 3.8ghz. A modest 10% increase over this gets you to 4.2, which is equivalent to 4.8ghz in i5 760 land.

I upgraded from a customLoop E6600 @ 3.2ghz, XMS2 800mhz, 7950gt setup that was built back in 2006 used till recently upgraded i5 760 but I have about 3 weeks till my 30 day warranty is up.. so from what you guys are saying is I should RETURN the 4ghz i5 and use my e6600 setup for another few weeks and go p67? why??.. i mean ya its 32nm instead of 45 but who the hell cares about having gpu/cpu integrated into one? I dont..

Tell me EXACTLY why its worth upgrading to a iX-2XXX/K series over the current i5 (cost me 350$ for mobo/cpu) and I might actually return it.. :eek:

P1000443.jpg

Tell me EXACTLY why its worth upgrading to a iX-2XXX/K series over the current i5 (cost me 350$ for mobo/cpu) and I might actually return it.. :eek:

Whats the increased performance worth to you? You already have a great OC, so thats something to consider. At stock, a 2xxxK will be about 10% faster. Overclocking is still up in the air, but every preview I've seen so far suggests that 4.5 ghz is totally within the realm of possibility on water. With an improved 15% per clock increase over your i5, thats a projected improvement of ~25%.

You also have the option to upgrade in the future, but given that you never jumped on a 775 quad, that might not be a big selling point in your case.

So bulk pricing on a 2500K is leaked at $215, maybe $250 at retail. Launch boards will undoubtedly be more expensive than 1156 current prices. My best guess has a decent combo costing $400, but I'd be prepared to pay up to $450 at launch.

If you dont pay a restocking fee or anything and you don't mind re-assembling your rig at least twice in the next month, I'd consider going for it.

4.5 better be in the realm of possibility for air, based on what early chips have done. But if you already have a 4Ghz i5, you are not going to gain much from going to an early SB - if you hadn't upgraded yet it would be worth waiting, but I don't think it is worth changing out now for what is likely a modest bump. Sitting on a C2Q or C2D is a totally different story, since you are looking at 50% performance bump (probably).

I didn't wait. Ordered ga-P55a-ud3, 8GB of GSkill, and an i5-760 from microcenter ($169.99!!) two days ago. I figure:

1.) Early adopters usually = early beta testers. I work on machines all day, and I want my home stuff stable

2.) You know the price will be higher than an i5 setup.

btw, i'm coming from an e8400, intel mobo (no overclock :( )

I didn't wait. Ordered ga-P55a-ud3, 8GB of GSkill, and an i5-760 from microcenter ($169.99!!) two days ago. I figure:

1.) Early adopters usually = early beta testers. I work on machines all day, and I want my home stuff stable

2.) You know the price will be higher than an i5 setup.

btw, i'm coming from an e8400, intel mobo (no overclock :( )

I'm pretty much all in for SB, but I have to admit that if I lived within 2500 miles of a Microcenter I'd be sorely tempted by the $200 i7-950.

SB is definitely being overhyped. They are better, but only by a little. I've posted this but check it out, its anandtech benching the SBs LINK

You guy's this discussion doesn't need any back and forth bickering over a fact so simple.

The i5 750 and its performance can be had at a lower price point than the coming SB 2500K. If you will be satisfied with that level of performance, or if you do not want to spend more than the price point of the i5 750, you can get the 750.

And yes SB will have a number of improvements that make it worthwhile, such as a smaller manufacturing process, greater PPC, and HT. These improvements can be had at a greater price point.

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

SB is definitely being overhyped. They are better, but only by a little. I've posted this but check it out, its anandtech benching the SBs LINK

I'd argue that there is hardly any hype at all, especially given that this is Intel's next big "tock" architecture release - the first since Nehalem back in 2008. Have you been following the 69xx release? Now that's hype.

Just got my gear assembled and am running base ram tests before I finish up and o/c :)

From that article:

"If Intel's roadmap and pricing hold true, then the Core i5 2400 should give you an average of 23% better performance than the Core i5 760 at a potentially lower point."

Only a little?

Back