i5-13500 + msi z690-a pro wifi + crucial 32gb ddr5 5600 mhz ram, recommended bios settings?

markm75

Gawd
i cant seem to find any recommended bios settings with this configuration. I've been plagued with bsod with both manual voltage on cpu/ram and auto.

I was originally thinking with non k, auto cpu volts was fine, i've also tried manual and auto dram volts, currently on auto cpu and dram at 1.4. Dram xmp profile 1 gave me issues, now at disabled, 5600 on auto.
Probably adding to my bsod grief (i think realbench was nvidia related), im using the 770 + 1650 gtx for blueiris and codeproject ai with cuda 12.1 currently.

Any thoughts?

Ram: Crucial Pro RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MT/s (or 5200MT/s or 4800MT/s) Desktop Memory CP2K16G56C46U5 at Amazon.com
Mb: Amazon.com: MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi ProSeries Motherboard (ATX, 12th Gen Intel Core, LGA 1700 Socket, DDR5, PCIe 5, 2.5G LAN, M.2 Slots, Wi-Fi 6E) : Electronics

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From what i can see, or remember from past experiences, for this auto should be enough and xmp. So far since disabling xmp (left on 5600, 1.4v dram) i think it "may" be more stable, but i havent stressed it yet. I think perhaps this ram choice was bad.. i may try these for full xmp:
Corsair https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NCNF2ZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or better yet gskill https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PTGZM6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3TOECTKC4OEBD&psc=1

Last edited:
That Crucial kit is probably some Micron Spectek garbage tier stuff, although it still should be able to do the rated 5600mhz. I would get some of this, guaranteed Hynix A-die and its cheaper and runs way cooler than the Gskill turds.

That Crucial kit is probably some Micron Spectek garbage tier stuff, although it still should be able to do the rated 5600mhz. I would get some of this, guaranteed Hynix A-die and its cheaper and runs way cooler than the Gskill turds.
Thx I'll try that though cl38 not cl36 but for my application doesn't matter

Thx I'll try that though cl38 not cl36 but for my application doesn't matter

I have a kit of it, run it at CL30 with no problem. I've used both the 32GB and 64GB kits and they run great.

I have a kit of it, run it at CL30 with no problem. I've used both the 32GB and 64GB kits and they run great.
Do you generally manually set the dram volts with this set, I'd be happy at cl38 n 5600, not sure if auto or 1.4

Do you generally manually set the dram volts with this set, I'd be happy at cl38 n 5600, not sure if auto or 1.4

Nah I just set XMP and then tweaked the timings after. I haven't needed more than 1.35V on an A-die kit until 7000+.

Run a memory test (e.g. https://memtest.org) . Even if the memory IC is garbage, it should still hit the rated frequency/timings on the XMP profile. If it's failing then you need to RMA the memory most likely, I doubt changing a BIOS setting will correct it unless you want to loosen timings and/or apply more voltage.

If memory passes then you start going down the rabbit hole of troubleshooting bluescreens. Verify storage is good. Look in event viewer. Debug the blue screen dumps with WinDbg.

Run a memory test (e.g. https://memtest.org) . Even if the memory IC is garbage, it should still hit the rated frequency/timings on the XMP profile. If it's failing then you need to RMA the memory most likely, I doubt changing a BIOS setting will correct it unless you want to loosen timings and/or apply more voltage.

If memory passes then you start going down the rabbit hole of troubleshooting bluescreens. Verify storage is good. Look in event viewer. Debug the blue screen dumps with WinDbg.

I have five kits of DDR5 here and my 7950X3D will not run a single one at EXPO/XMP, not even the 5600mhz kit without dicking around with vSOC and other settings. DDR5 is a totally different animal, and very picky. My 13700KF will run 3 of them, thw two faster ones at 6800 and 7200mhz it will not again without playing with other voltages. Just the way it is now. DDR4 was much easier to work with.

I have five kits of DDR5 here and my 7950X3D will not run a single one at EXPO/XMP, not even the 5600mhz kit without dicking around with vSOC and other settings. DDR5 is a totally different animal, and very picky. My 13700KF will run 3 of them, thw two faster ones at 6800 and 7200mhz it will not again without playing with other voltages. Just the way it is now. DDR4 was much easier to work with.
No matter what generation memory is in discussion, I feel like if you can get the PC to POST and use Windows but are encountering bluescreens, a memtest should be the first step unless you track it down to one specific thing always causing it (like a bad driver or program running, etc...) If it passes, this verifies the RAM itself "is good" then you can see if you need to raise the CPU IMC voltage or whatever else in the BIOS.

Back