i3 to i5 questions

Tigz79

n00b
Hey just wanting to know if there are any issues from swooping out an i3 duel core cpu to an i5 quad core cpu? Is it just a case of taking one out and replacing with the other and installing the fan then booting up the system again? Never done a cpu change before and dont want to damage anything... The mb is a Gigabyte H61MA-D2V Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3

As long as the i5 is LGA1155, there should be no problems. Your motherboard may not have bios support for Ivy Bridge i5s, so you may want to check to make sure of that if you're upgrading to an IB i5.

You will also have to redo the TIM (thermal interface material), so you need to make sure to get a tube. I recommend Arctic Ceramique 2 and MX-2.

Ah thanks for the info, al just be using the stock cooler, does that come with the paste or an extra mate?

If you pick up a new boxed processor it comes with a HSF that has the TIM pre installed on it so you dont need to worry about it. If you buy a OEM processor than you are going to need to get to pick up some TIM.

As far as support for changing out the old Intel® Core™ i3 for a Intel Core i5 as long as you are talking about a desktop processors it is a fairly simple job and easy to go. Before you make the change make sure you have updated your Bios first to make sure that you dont have any problems.

Thanks for all the info guys... Never changed out a cpu before but good to know its an easy enough thing to do :)

Mmm av got the activation key code but how many times can you activate it if its a retail copy bud? A didnt even think of that so good shout...

Mmm av got the activation key code but how many times can you activate it if its a retail copy bud? A didnt even think of that so good shout...

You can re-activate it as many times as you need to. I've re-activated mine so many times that they killed my key & gave me a new one. (I like to swap hardware a lot & I'm a little OCD when it comes to that stupid activation reminder box popping up.)

There are 2 versions of your board. There is a revision 2.0 & revision 2.1. It looks like they use the same bios. The latest bios is F5.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4090#

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4183#bios

Cheers for clearing that up, was gunna say it would cost a fortune to keep buying OS all the times you upgrade...

Back