I want to setup a linux box as a printer server

darkmyth

Gawd
I have a hp deskjet 3820

I want to get a old machine and just boot the printer server software off of a floppy and not have a hdd in the machine. Is this possible, and if so can someone point me to a howto. I've looked and have found some with the print server program just on a floppy but not any good howto's or locations for the program.

thanks in advance

Uhhh... no spool?? You'll want a small harddrive for spooling the print data. Why else do a print server?

cjcox said:
Uhhh... no spool?? You'll want a small harddrive for spooling the print data. Why else do a print server?

Alright i'll just find a small hdd for spooling. I've got 2 machines that i need to share the printer with, and I will be adding more machines as I go so.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026146380#post1026146380

my lan is second from the end currently

also I could still use a tutorial or howto.

BriguyNJ said:
why not add the printer to the red hat server you currently have set up?

I could do that but then there would be lagg on my default gateway.

Printing isn't a huge load, especially if the printer has a built-in hard drive. I wouldn't worry about it lagging your gateway. Just use samba and allow only your internal interface to access the [printers] share.

I would personally just get a printer with a NIC built-in or with the ability to add a NIC to it. It's much easier that way, there are even some printers nowadays that are wireless and use your local WiFi AP.

darkmyth said:
I could do that but then there would be lagg on my default gateway.
I do not forsee lag being an enormous problem, and give kudos to RedHat for creating a simple and efficient printer interface. But in any production environment, I would recommend acquiring a print server, as I have found these minimize the complexity of sharing and configuring printers, unless security/auditing is a concern. What is the intended environment for the printer?

M11 said:
I do not forsee lag being an enormous problem, and give kudos to RedHat for creating a simple and efficient printer interface. But in any production environment, I would recommend acquiring a print server, as I have found these minimize the complexity of sharing and configuring printers, unless security/auditing is a concern. What is the intended environment for the printer?

the printer will be used for my home network. Basicly printing off documents, papers, pictures, etc. It's a hpdeskjet 3820 and I don't think it has an onboard hard drive. There is no nic installation port, and I cannot afford a network printer.

my network is here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026146380#post1026146380

my printer is in one of the pictures.

The easiest thing to do is to simply set up the printer (I like CUPS, it's a lot easier than dicking around with lprng) and then share out using LPR (actually... it looks like CUPS has a windows driver available...)

ameoba said:
The easiest thing to do is to simply set up the printer (I like CUPS, it's a lot easier than dicking around with lprng) and then share out using LPR (actually... it looks like CUPS has a windows driver available...)

i'll have to look into that.

darkmyth said:
the printer will be used for my home network. Basicly printing off documents, papers, pictures, etc. It's a hpdeskjet 3820 and I don't think it has an onboard hard drive. There is no nic installation port, and I cannot afford a network printer.

my network is here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026146380#post1026146380

my printer is in one of the pictures.
In that event, CUPS allows for easy printer sharing as the other poster said, and from experience it is much easier to use than any other linux printer solution.

M11 said:
In that event, CUPS allows for easy printer sharing as the other poster said, and from experience it is much easier to use than any other linux printer solution.

how do you go about setting up cups??

Back