I want to make my pen drive bootable, how ?

foolish501

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got several 128mb pen drives, and want to make one bootable to win98/me, but my 2 pc's are both running XP so i cannot format them as sys drives.

anybody know of a utility i can use to do it ? i've seen some drives some with a cd that is meant to let u format them, but i have lexar drives that came without any software.

sarversystems, thanks for the heads up, i had checked the website before, and cannot find anything that will work, they won't work as a floppy

You can boot using a pen drive on some mainboards. The BIOS must support Legacy USB, and it must be enabled. I have had success on a few different mainboards. The easiest way to make the pen drive bootable, is to install the drivers for the Pen Drive to a Win98 system. After Win98 sees your pen drive, you can open a command window and sys the pen drive or make a "system disk" from within Win98.

Here is how I had success on the few I tried.

1. Start with the PC off.
2. Insert the pen drive to one of the USB ports.
3. Turn on the PC and go into the BIOS.
4. In the BIOS make sure to enable "Legacy USB" support.
5. In the Boot Sequence section of your BIOS you should have some USB boot devices listed. If not, save and exit. Reboot and go right back in to the BIOS. If it still does not list any USB devices in the boot order, you may be out of luck.
6. If you have a listing for "Boot other devices" or "Try other devices" make sure it is enabled.
7. In the boot order I set all devices to USB devices, (USB-ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-HDD, etc...,) Save and Reboot
8. If it didn't work, I changed the order, to try all the USB devices as the first boot device at least once.

On the boards that worked for me, 1 used USB-HDD, 1 used USB-FDD, and the other two used USB-ZIP.

I could not get any Intel (brand) board to boot to a pen drive. I tried D845PESV, D845GRG2, D845GERG2, D850EMV2, D865GLC, D865PERC, D875PBZ.

thanks Infidel for the comments, but i only have XP at home, and at work all we have is XP and a few 95 machines that don't support usb.

already checked version, it's not osr2 or above, so it's no good to me.

Back