I want a router that doesn't suck. Recommendations?

Murkon

Limp Gawd
I've had trouble out of a Netgear RP614 and a Linksys BEFSR41. Both ended up going bad real quick after I bought them. Maybe I've just been having bad luck, maybe it's my modem who knows.

Anyways - what friggin router's out there are rock solid stable? I want something that isn't going to go haywire 6 months after I buy it. Wireless is not necessary, but might be nice. Also no more than 4 ports are required.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

My Netgear RT314 is several years old and has been rock solid stable. Maybe their older stuff is a little better....?

Originally posted by Brules
My Netgear RT314 is several years old and has been rock solid stable. Maybe their older stuff is a little better....?

ditto

most of netgear's stuff works for me

what are you problems with those routers?

Old PC with two NICs, running something like FreeBSD or Linux, with a cable running in to a cheap switch.

Originally posted by [H]EMI_426
Old PC with two NICs, running something like FreeBSD or Linux, with a cable running in to a cheap switch.

or ICS in XP :eek:

I have tried the basic Linksys 802.11b routers and they dont work worth a damn for me. I've used a Lucent Technologies AP-500 which doesnt work worth a shit. I bought a netgear MR814 and it works perfectly. I think it mostly just depends on how your specific card likes the router. My moms works with her linksys perfectly, but mine wont stay connected very long at all. It's wierd.

the problem is that every company has suscribed to the "disposable vcr" theory of manufacture.

"As long as its close, it 'll sell. And if it breaks? Oh well, the customer will buy a new one"

You probably either just got a bad router out of the box or had configuration errors. And FYI, there's MANY people on this board that have had LOTS of trouble with linksys routers. they're cake to set up, but not really reliable for most folks.

And to step off my soapbox and answer your question, there really is no "good" router in the consumer price range, ya get what you pay for. If you have the parts and the time, why not learn something and go with a linux/BSD router solution. There's plenty of pre-configured distro's: Smoothwall, IP Cop, M0n0Wall, Freesco, etc...

Originally posted by Zardoz
Netopia R9100

I also have a Netopia at work (3-4 year old model that allows dual net inputs) and the thing is awesome...! Never had a problem with it for 4 years straight. On 24/7/365 and never a peep out of it. So I recomend it as well. :)

I've used a Dlink 604 router for a long time now, never had a problem with it. Also have a dlink switch, works great.

Originally posted by Brules
I also have a Netopia at work (3-4 year old model that allows dual net inputs) and the thing is awesome...! Never had a problem with it for 4 years straight. On 24/7/365 and never a peep out of it. So I recomend it as well. :)

yup it's some good stuff IMO. I love the VPN service on it. I can VPN right in to my network from anywhere, also the unit cost is cheep.

Originally posted by Nate7311
the problem is that every company has suscribed to the "disposable vcr" theory of manufacture.

"As long as its close, it 'll sell. And if it breaks? Oh well, the customer will buy a new one"

You probably either just got a bad router out of the box or had configuration errors. And FYI, there's MANY people on this board that have had LOTS of trouble with linksys routers. they're cake to set up, but not really reliable for most folks.

And to step off my soapbox and answer your question, there really is no "good" router in the consumer price range, ya get what you pay for. If you have the parts and the time, why not learn something and go with a linux/BSD router solution. There's plenty of pre-configured distro's: Smoothwall, IP Cop, M0n0Wall, Freesco, etc...
Indeed, was waiting for someone to say that :) And props for the Netopia R9100 and SnapGear products.

Dunno, I had never heard of them before until I cam eto work here......but the thing has been stellar, and it's telnet menu is much better than my netgear's I have at home.

Back